1996 Thunderbird- Intermittent Wiper/Washer Inop - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

1996 Thunderbird- Intermittent Wiper/Washer Inop

1996 Thunderbird, 214000 miles

I'm experiencing problems with my wiper/washer. The worst part is that it's intermittent and right when I'm about to pull out my test light and poke around, it's working perfectly.

When it does act up, nothing happens when I press the wash/wipe button on the end of the stalk. I don't get a "spray failure with a dry wipe", and I don't get a "wipe failure with a spray-only". Both the spraying and the wiping fail to work at the same time.

Due to the age, the mileage, and the general feel of the multi-function switch, I went ahead and replaced it. I was expecting that to be the cause of the problem. The new switch feels great, and everything seemed to be working properly afterward, but after a few weeks of driving, it's clear to me that something else is causing the issue.

So I'm hoping that it will fail again, but when I'm at home, so I can try to track it down. In the meantime, are there any common failure points that might point me in the right direction sooner?

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
... In the meantime, are there any common failure points that might point me in the right direction sooner?
I'd start with the connector that plugs into the mfs; it gets crammed in there, and I had a wire break as I put the first one back in.

A short or open there can have all kinds of effects; the output is a resistance, and different resistances mean different things.

C206 is the gray connector.

The DB/W wire is the wiper interval and wash. It's a resistance to the BR/W wire. 100k max 3.3k min. Pushing wash is a short to BR/W.

The O wire is the wiper speed, also a resistance to the BR/W wire. 36.27k is off, 7.25k is int min, lo is 408k, and hi is a short, all to BR/W.

The BR/W wire is the reference wire, "output to ICM"

If it's not that, the problem is probably in the ICM, or integrated control module, according to the EVTM.

Good luck!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Wow, thank you! That really helps.

I'm hoping to have a chance to tear back into it sometime next week. Tonight I found a wet spot on the pass-side floor mat, so it looks like I'll be doing a heater core soon. So while I have my tools out and some of my interior apart, I'll go ahead and ohm out those circuits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Wow, thank you! That really helps.

I'm hoping to have a chance to tear back into it sometime next week. Tonight I found a wet spot on the pass-side floor mat, so it looks like I'll be doing a heater core soon. So while I have my tools out and some of my interior apart, I'll go ahead and ohm out those circuits.
If you're going into the dash, I'd find the ICM box, and "ohm my way back" to the switch.

It's on the driver's side, left of the column; maybe part of the fusebox, or real close. (can't tell from pic)

That harness goes thru connector C2022 (Yellow) behind the panel, to the left of the column.
DB/W pin 17
BR/W pin 7
O pin 6
These are the second pins from the end with a missing pin (18), and the orange wire is beside the BR/W wire.

At the ICM box, they're on C242.
These are the pin numbers:
DB/W pin 7
BR/W pin 1
O pin 8

It could be the box, too.

Additional stuff, somewhat related:

This box is on the 30A "Wipers" fuse. possibly #27
There's a separate park relay (BK/PK) in the ICM box, and it's own ground wire at the wiper motor.
All P81-1 96 EVTM

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I keep hearing that the Ford books are "so much better" than the more readily-available Haynes/Chilton manuals, but I didn't know they were this thorough! Thank you so much!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Kind of slapped together

Heh.

They're thorough.

They're complete.

Compared to them, the Haynes/Chilton books don't even make good toilet paper IMO *grins*

RwP
CrystalPistol likes this.

Fuelly
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Garage
I agree, Ralph.

I have a hard time keeping up with it, it just happened to be beside the computer when you asked, UT.

I'm sure this will help me too sometime, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in