Heater Core - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Heater Core

Was getting all ready to rebuild the front suspension, nice stuff from Jay and the rest Motorcraft pieces,until the wife comes home yesterday from work and says the windows are all wet and steamy. That sucks,now its heater core time.I changed it 5 years ago with a core from Napa.Any input on the best heater cores would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

The most frustrating job ive had to do on my car. Wish I had some tips to make it easier but it really is just a pain in the a** no matter what.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:37 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbird View Post
Was getting all ready to rebuild the front suspension, nice stuff from Jay and the rest Motorcraft pieces,until the wife comes home yesterday from work and says the windows are all wet and steamy. That sucks,now its heater core time.I changed it 5 years ago with a core from Napa.Any input on the best heater cores would be appreciated.
The new heater core I put in may car failed after only 22,000 miles. Bound and determined to not replace it, I resorted to using a stop leak product made mostly of ground nut shells and spices. Ninety nine percent of the leak stopped, but one percent is still too much. Calling on old techniques I used in the past, I poured a small amount of ground black pepper into the tank. Hallelujah! It has been 5 years since, 20 thousand miles more, and not one leak.

It is electrolysis causing failures in aluminum heater cores. Thanks to a tip a member posted here, the remedy is to run a ground wire from your inlet hose on the heater to somewhere on the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Yea, It was a PITA 5 years ago when I did it. I'm going to try this time leaving the steering column in.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

My napa one leaked 6 months later. Got a free replacement but that is not comforting. First time took 6 hrs, 2nd time 2/12 hrs. Don't have to remove the steering column, just unbolt it add let it drop down.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird Bob View Post
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbfrg t is electrolysis causing failures in aluminum heater cores. Thanks to a tip a member posted here, the remedy is to run a ground wire from your inlet hose on the heater to somewhere on the frame.
You need to make sure it's all grounded.

The heads, heater core, engine, oil filter adapter, radiator ALL need to be connected to a good ground.

Any ungrounded element means corrosion; the higher the resistance of the ground connection, the faster the corrosion.

Aluminum usually wears the most, especially if you use any stainless steel anywhere.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
In addition to the grounds, why not use a sacrificial anode for the drain plug?

Sacrificial Anode - Chemwiki

Example:
Fluidyne Zinc Anodes FHP32004 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
In addition to the grounds, why not use a sacrificial anode for the drain plug?

Sacrificial Anode - Chemwiki

Example:
Fluidyne Zinc Anodes FHP32004 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

-g
Good Idea Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I've been planning to buy an anode for mine and this thread reminded me. After searching around, I found THIS site with a similar part for much cheaper (Fluidyne vs. Flex-A-Lite). Just a heads up.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
I've been planning to buy an anode for mine and this thread reminded me. After searching around, I found THIS site with a similar part for much cheaper (Fluidyne vs. Flex-A-Lite). Just a heads up.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in