2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rodeo Joe
  • 1 Post By jco1385

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: What parts are these?

In preparation for my next 24 Hours of Lemons race, I'm being extra-OCD right now and doing a complete inventory of all my spare racecar parts.

I've gotten spares for everything I can think of now: I started with all the parts I've pulled from the four donor cars I chopped up at Dan's but have now backfilled my parts inventory with spare UCAs, LCAs, and tie rods just in case something bad happens.

After 3 races where we were taken out by engine problems, I'm dead set on trying to race flag to flag.

Anyway, I have these two items which I believe are from the front end but would appreciate clarification as to what they are. I don't think they are tie rod ends or stabilizer bar endlinks....

I suspect that if these get broken, a whole bunch of other bits on my front end will also be destroyed.

Thanks in advance for your quick ID.

Regards,
-g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of IMG_0395.JPG (73.1 KB, 6 views)

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:04 AM
4th Gear Poster

I beLieve those are the strut rods? On end attaches to k member and the other side to Lower control arms. Im assuming and sticking with saying those are in fact strut rods. Ill let the more experienced members school us or solidify my expansion of mn12 knowledge.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerkCougar View Post
I believe those are the strut rods
We have a winner folks!

In the picture, frame side is on the right, control arm on the left.

Joe
MerkCougar likes this.

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you break one of those you have hit something solid and are probably done.
Woodman likes this.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
If you break one of those you have hit something solid and are probably done.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. I just wanted to inventory them correctly.
Thanks.

Basically, right now, the only thing that I don't seem to have (short of an identical race-prepped tbird to which I could swap a transponder onto) is a set of the hard fuel lines + the two rubber hoses that end in springlock connectors.

One of my friends who helped part out one of the two 5.0 donor cars cut the line at the fuel rail before I could yell at him to stop (it's so hard to find good help these days .

The remaining 5.0 donor car gave me the hardlines + fuel lines I use on the racecar chassis (apparently the lengths are wrong for the 3.8L lines that were originally on the chassis).

I also need some spare rear calipers but I already bugged Dan about them (he should have them in his parts mountain).

-g

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you are concerned about the flexible part of the fuel line, you can cut those off the hard line, and cut the spring clip fittings out as well, and use fuel injection hose with clamps to make it any length you want.

And to reiterate what others have said, if you hit something hard enough to break or even bend a strut-rod, you would need that identical race-prepped tbird, since at that point they would have had to go through quite a bit of front end structure, and the car likely wouldn't even be repairable, let alone finishing that race. Really the only purpose those would serve at a lemons race is if someone needs to cut one of them up for something.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You can buy the proper high pressure fuel line and connectors from RA; It isn't terribly expensive. 2 feet was ~$10, but that's been awhile.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

Ayyyy all my hours of tccoa searches are showing dividends. I got to give thank to the vetran members for all their input on various thread that taught me. It never falls on deaf ears or in this case no blind eyes.

Gotta love me a Cougar,... Cars and women alike.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If you are concerned about the flexible part of the fuel line, you can cut those off the hard line, and cut the spring clip fittings out as well, and use fuel injection hose with clamps to make it any length you want.

And to reiterate what others have said, if you hit something hard enough to break or even bend a strut-rod, you would need that identical race-prepped tbird, since at that point they would have had to go through quite a bit of front end structure, and the car likely wouldn't even be repairable, let alone finishing that race. Really the only purpose those would serve at a lemons race is if someone needs to cut one of them up for something.
Thanks Mike:
I will place these parts with the rest of the items that I will leave in my garage and filed under the items that I will likely only repair if we've already packed this car in for the weekend. Other bits that I don't anticipate being able to replace during a race weekend: front radiator brace (cut the entire nose off a donor), ABS module w/ all the brake hard lines.

Of course, if we get really ambitious, the parts will only be ~1.5 hours away from the racetrack at my house in SF.

-g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in