Flushing Underbody - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
V22
2nd Gear Poster

Flushing Underbody

Hey everyone,
Being that my car is a daily driver (but well maintained and frequently washed/waxed), it sees some salt here in Maryland.

While going through my owners manual, it says to annually flush "body drain holes".
How does one go about doing that?

I plan on making a trip to a local self serve car wash and pressure washing whatever I can see underneath. Any particular areas I should pay attention to? It's 99% rust free, so I'm really just trying to keep up on preventive maintenance. Rustproofing is not really an option right now.

I know about the area behind the front wheel well liners, but what about the rear rocker panels? Whats a thorough way to flush those out?

(P.S I get annoyed that the cougar is just a dust particle on the far right side of the banner - anyone else agree? )

Thanks!

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.

Last edited by V22; 02-12-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 05:46 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
First, wait until the weather gets warmer! It's cold out!

The push pins for front fender liners can be popped off at the bottom to give you access to the area at the bottom of the fender where junk can accumulate. You can actually then get at that area from inside with the door open and spray the hose to remove debris.

Check under the wiper cowl for debris there that might block water drainage. Give that area a good flush.

I always check the lips of the fender around rear wheels for sand that might build up there and spray it off.

There were some pictures posted of where to check the frame rails for build up, have to go looking for those.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 03:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V22 View Post

(P.S I get annoyed that the cougar is just a dust particle on the far right side of the banner - anyone else agree? )

Thanks!
I don't even see the Cougar on my laptop

You can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
V22
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for the reply.
No way I'm going out now, its way too cold!

Yeah, the cougar always gets the short end of the stick! How bout having it at least near the gold Thunderbird, instead of behind a fox body cougar that's even more uncommon.
Is this a thunderbird, cougar, and mark VIII forum, or a thunderbird and mark VIII forum featuring some minor appearances of the lame side character cougar?
Okay, I'm finished now.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L , Vermillion
If you see a shiny red car swerving around potholes and parking 10000 miles from all the other plebeians in parking lots, then it's probably me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:03 PM
5th Gear Poster

Totally agree.

It's been noted that Foxes aren't really the focus of this forum, and that the Cougar deserves better placement, in the Forum Banner Suggestion thread.

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 02-14-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 10:59 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NeedAbirdinVA
Wait.. there is a Cougar on the banner? All I see is a white Mark Vlll, red Turbo Coupe and a Bird. So I'm not the only one who doesn't see a Cougar... Now I am sad =-( Poor cougar needs some love too !! My first car was a Cougar(well, '73 but still) show the love CarId or whoever is running the site now.

Chris C.

'89 SC 5-speed SCP down tubes,muffler delete [email protected](sold) '94 Rose Mist Lincoln Mark VIII..Custom downtubes,muffler delete,gloss black cougar rims.(Now lives in my '91) '91 Thunderbird
V6 AKA The UnderBird.... cone filter, Custom down tubes to highflow cats,magnaflow muffler to turndowns in the middle of the car(LOUD), Vogtland 1.6 springs, poly bushings, '89 SC seats, '95 bird Sun visors, '95 bird radio, Chrome '97 sport rims with 255/55/16's... [email protected](mid 14's now)(skinnys,removed pass. seat,door panels and center console and advanced timing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in