Climate Control issues - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Climate Control issues

Good Evening, I have a 97 Tbird 4.6 that was sitting for a few months. The battery was weak and I had to jump start many times before I finally replaced the battery. I found out that the keyless entry system lost its programming and also noticed the fan motor running at high speed without the climate control being on. The climate control currently has no display and I already changed out the fan power controller. I checked all fuses and breakers and when I have the entire CC unit disconnected, the fan is still running high speed.
Needless to say, everything worked fine prior to the car sitting.
Can anyone give some insight into this situation as it is driving me crazy. I've been working on cars for 30 years and this has me baffled. I'm not ready to swap out the head unit as I don't think that's the problem.
Many thanks in advance for anything tossed my way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirch912
..."changed out the fan power controller."

Do you mean the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM)?

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

...still looking for a clean, low mileage, rust free 96/97 Thunderbird 4.6
Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I found a head unit in the junk yard and changed it out. It solved the problem but unfortunately the digital display does not light up. However, the hot and cold controls work and I'll take that until I find another working unit. I'm thinking all the jump starting i did may have blown out the unit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 08:11 PM
PostWhore

Glad to hear you found the problem.

There are a number of listings for the SATC head units available on Ebay for various prices...

I was having problems with mine too. The digital display would flicker wildly. The blower would not come on at times, and the lights for the knobs were non-op.

I removed the unit, and cleaned all the male and female connections with electronic spray cleaner, bought new little light bulbs for the knobs. Put it all back together using di-electric grease on the connectors, and so far so good. The corrosion on the connectors must have been causing the problem.

I also cleaned the sensor behind the vent on the bezel with the electronic spray cleaner. This "vent" can be partly seen in the top right of the first pic.

Before

After

The spray cleaner I used.

1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6l 97 Headlamps/Hood All Red Tails Muffler/Resonator Delete
2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

Last edited by rushtonracing; 03-14-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typos and added a pic
Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post

I also cleaned the sensor behind the vent on the bezel with the electronic spray cleaner. This "vent" can be partly seen in the top right of the first pic.
Fascinating! This whole time I thought that vent was there for the chime but it just occurred to me with as many times I've removed the entire bezel and trays that I have nothing there, lol. I may just have to find something else to do with that spot. I'm not sure if I'd ever go through the trouble of upgrading the climate control.

-Randy-
Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushtonracing View Post
Glad to hear you found the problem.

There are a number of listings for the SATC head units available on Ebay for various prices...

I was having problems with mine too. The digital display would flicker wildly. The blower would not come on at times, and the lights for the knobs were non-op.

I removed the unit, and cleaned all the male and female connections with electronic spray cleaner, bought new little light bulbs for the knobs. Put it all back together using di-electric grease on the connectors, and so far so good. The corrosion on the connectors must have been causing the problem.

Before

After

The spray cleaner I used.
How important is that little guy? Like, if it's all goobered up like you had it, what will happen with the climate control system?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 AM
PostWhore

The sensor tells the SATC the passenger compartment temperature. The contaminates will act as an insulator impeding the accuracy of the semi-automatic controls, (slow to change). And/or act as a insulator/conductor giving a faulty reading.

2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4
2008 Acadia Limited AWD

Last edited by rushtonracing; 03-15-2016 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2016, 04:43 PM
PostWhore

Nice to know. Next time the panel is off, I'll be sure to take a look at that little guy and clean him off appropriately.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 AM
PostWhore

It is good to know. But it only helps, if you use the Auto feature, which not many people take advantage of. Not sure why as it's one of the best features on the car.

Every pic of a MN12 interior I have seen has the temp set on 90 and fan on manual like they are trying to trick the system into pumping out more heat.

Just set the temp like you would set your house t-stat, and it will lock in! It wont blow any cold air, just heat once the coolant temp warms a little.

My old T-Bird has it, but my new one doesn't. It's a PITA to constantly adjust the temp dial. Why anyone would want to do that when they don't have to? \rant off.

Al
Woodman likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
It is good to know. But it only helps, if you use the Auto feature, which not many people take advantage of. Not sure why as it's one of the best features on the car.

Every pic of a MN12 interior I have seen has the temp set on 90 and fan on manual like they are trying to trick the system into pumping out more heat.

Just set the temp like you would set your house t-stat, and it will lock in! It wont blow any cold air, just heat once the coolant temp warms a little.

My old T-Bird has it, but my new one doesn't. It's a PITA to constantly adjust the temp dial. Why anyone would want to do that when they don't have to? \rant off.

Al

Every single time I get in my wife's new Escape, with a fully automatic climate control, she has the damn thing set on HI, the she turns the fan off when she gets hot.

"Honey" I tell her, "Just set it for a comfortable temperature, and it'll run the heat up until the interior reaches that temperature. That way, we don't have to fiddle with it all the time."

"It doesn't work that way, it gets hotter faster at Hi".
It gets hotter, but not faster...

But I only recently broke her of the habit of playing with the thermostat in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in