API battery - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By laminarflow
  • 1 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

API battery

Their is a chain of API stores here in the NYC area. It stands for Auto Parts international. The battery they sell, according to them, is made by Johnson Controls. It comes with a two year warranty, and no proration. They quoted a price of $102 without exchange, or $69 with exchange. This is for a case 58 battery.

A good deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 04:18 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarflow View Post
Their is a chain of API stores here in the NYC area. It stands for Auto Parts international. The battery they sell, according to them, is made by Johnson Controls. It comes with a two year warranty, and no proration. They quoted a price of $102 without exchange, or $69 with exchange. This is for a case 58 battery.

A good deal?
The last battery I bought was a Johnson's Control produced battery from WalMart (their top level battery) with a 5 year warranty for around $140 for a 4.6L equipped Crown Victoria.

The short warranty concerns me a little, but if you get two years out of it, it's not a big loss. And if you get more, even better.

I use a battery maintainer on my car in the winter so my battery doesn't freeze up or drain on me, and keeps it in good shape. You can get them at Harbor Freight for about $5.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Follow-up

Got the API battery for $59 cash, instead of $69 with CC.
Woodman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The main difference in batteries that fit our cars is in the QC that goes into it; that's the big diff I see.

Here, it seems like most are Exide batteries, with other peoples names one them.

People try not to ship lead too far, so there tends to be a battery recycling/manufacturing facility close by.

If you properly maintain it, there's no reason not to get 10 years out of one.

I've posted long rants on battery care, so they should be easy to find, lol.

Short version:

Full charge on a 10A charger overnight every 3 months. One that ramps down at the end is good.

But first:
Open caps and look at the level. You should do this every oil
change, and fill to the indicator. If you can't see an obvious indicator, look it up.

Fill with water After charge; unless the upper structure is exposed. If so, it may be toast.

If you run the battery down and have to jump start it, just hook the cable up, go bs for 10 minutes, and disconnect them and start your car.
You Have to refill the water in the battery after one of these events; they get freaking hot, and boil shit off.

That's why shit gets all rusted there; boiling battery juice, lol.
V8ThunderCat likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in