Cooling system flush - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gordonm1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Cooling system flush

I haven't flushed out the coolant since 4/21/07. But, I've only driven 20K miles since then. I've checked the coolant with test strips, and everything seems to be fine. The color is still that bright green.
Should I flush it or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarflow View Post
I haven't flushed out the coolant since 4/21/07. But, I've only driven 20K miles since then. I've checked the coolant with test strips, and everything seems to be fine. The color is still that bright green.
Coolant isn't like oil where it degrades over time. Coolant only degrades as it picks up garbage. If the test strips test good, it shouldn't be a huge worry, but coolant is still fairly cheap and it's an easy job to do yourself.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear Poster

My 1991 has less than 90,000 miles. When I had my oil changed a few months ago they tested it with the test strips. They said it was at 80% good and I could wait awhile.

They had a special going on that day for $59.00 for a coolant flush. The machine removes all the old coolant from the radiator and overflow bottle and replaces it with new Prestone Antifreeze.

I went ahead and had it done. Just didn't want to worry about it later on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarflow View Post
Your mileage is low, but age is also a factor. After almost 10 years, I would flush it, myself. I no longer trust anyone to flush my cooling system (I've been burned). It's time consuming to do it right, but it doesn't cost much.

I've had good results doing a "turnpike flush" with Prestone Flush+Cleaner and many gallons of distilled water.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Keep it fresh to delay having to do your heater core. IMHO
Tbird Bob likes this.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 01:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I change fluid on running cars every three years; If the fluid was fresh, I can't see why it would degrade if it were garage kept, and low mileage.

I would use the flush, which includes driving it a bit to circulate the flush, then drain it well.

There's a plug on the side of the block that helps, if you want to be thorough in draining it. Search for photos.

After I drain it carefully, I remove the thermostat housing, upper and lower hoses, hook a hose to the system, and backflush everything for a while. Move the hose around

I loosen the heater core from the valley line, and flush thru there as well. The lines at the manifold and the HCore are fragile, I don't dink with those.

I fill the antifreeze first, then add water; corrosion inhibitor is in the AF, lol.

BTW:
A lot of businesses have Thermal IR cameras these days; Use one and look at the radiator and see if it's blocked off; it should be fairly even all the way across, top to bottom.

Otherwise is bad areas, They're easy as hell to see.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Lower radiator hose replacement...

Okay, I finally got done with replacing my lower radiator hose (Wow, was that clamp on the engine side hard to access!) late last night, so now I'm considering flushing it a little more thoroughly since all of the old coolant has been drained. I put a water hose into the radiator and the thermostat spout and did the most minimal of flushes before darkness took hold.

Are the following steps alright?

Put everything back in place sans the thermostat, fill it with distilled water and Peak radiator flush, run until hot, let it cool, then flush out.

Once cooled down: Re-install thermostat. Replenish with new 50/50 coolant (Right?). Check for leaks. Done.

By the way, do I want the heater "On" while the engine is running?

Thanks.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
PostWhore

Always want the heater on high during flushes.

I would never go the trouble of removing the T-stat and all that stuff for a flush. I used to use those Prestone backflush kits, but since they are hard to use on most new car's systems, just a drain and fill is all they get.

Besides, when you do a hose flush, it's tough to get all the tap water out. Drain it, fill it with 50/50 Prestone and distilled water, and you're good to go. Just change it more often.

The only cars that benefit from an extensive flush are one's that have sat for years and have visible crud in the system. Then you want to buy the heavy duty stuff!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Always want the heater on high during flushes.

I would never go the trouble of removing the T-stat and all that stuff for a flush. I used to use those Prestone backflush kits, but since they are hard to use on most new car's systems, just a drain and fill is all they get.

Besides, when you do a hose flush, it's tough to get all the tap water out. Drain it, fill it with 50/50 Prestone and distilled water, and you're good to go. Just change it more often.

The only cars that benefit from an extensive flush are one's that have sat for years and have visible crud in the system. Then you want to buy the heavy duty stuff!

Al
Thanks for the response. Well, I figured since I was replacing both the top and bottom radiator hoses, I might as well got for the trifecta and give it a (good, not great) flush so removing the thermostat wasn't too big a deal.

By the way, I could only get two Prestone gallons into it with the idiot light reminding me of a "low coolant level". Does this closed system eventually "burp" itself of its air pockets, or is there a quick way to force them out?

Thank you again.

"The truth is,everyone is going to hurt you.You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." Bob Marley
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 AM
PostWhore

Yes, run the car up to temp with the cap off, heat on high, and the front end still jacked up from working on it. They are pretty easy cars to burp. 2 gallons is a lot.

Replace the t-stat o-ring, and even though it doesn't call for it, I like to put some Permatex on the flanged surface. I have had them weep a little. They make a grey Permatex for coolant, t-stats, water pumps, etc.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in