Wiring problem (of my own making )
I was installing an aftermarket stereo in my '96 LX. I looked up all the wiring color-codes, and double checked everything. Being the bonehead I am, I decided to go the cheap route and cut the harness off of the old radio and splice the new harness onto it, using the color codes for the T-bird, and the codes from Pioneer. Anyway, I thought I had everything connected correctly. When I put the negative cable back on the battery, smoke started coming out from under the dash. I disconnected the battery, and tried to figure out what happened. It seems I somehow routed a ground wire from the T-bird harness to a hot source. Now I have a burned wire in my harness that goes under the dash somewhere. I am trying to trace the wire so I can remove it and repair all the damage it did along the way.
How do I remove the black dash panels without damaging them. I can't figure out how to get the panel that holds the radio and a/c controls. I am really bummed right now. Thanks in advance.