Overlooked cool fix - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.Thunderbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Overlooked cool fix

After telling someone that my 95 4.6 runs cooler going down the highway with the fan on high. I decided to snoop around my radiator to see if it was stopped up by leaves or debris.
I found a few leaves an a few pine needles, but not so much to cause issues. So just to be sure I wash both the radiator and AC coil.
It runs cooler, but still stays cooler with fan on hi.
195 is what computer wants, so I use fan to keep it to the 180 the thermostat that's in place now.
Works great.
One question , is the water pump as easy a replacement as it looks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Yes, the water pump replacement should take all of about 20 minutes. If your car runs cooler with the fan on while driving down the road at speed, then there is something wrong. I suspect you are missing the lower deflector, which pushes air up through the rad instead of letting it go under the car.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yes, yes... it is usually as easy as it looks, unless the cooling system was neglected and there's a bunch of corrosion holding the pump in place. Breaking the ears off the pump is pretty common but usually a few good whacks with a BFH to the snout will knock it free.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
Lower deflector is in place. At least it is if it's the rubber air dam under the radiator support??

Mr.Thunderbird
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
The car is pretty much cherry, well now it is. It sat in the woods for years being used very little by my long lost uncle. When my '96 was killed by a crazy trucker I found this one on Craigslist. I went to see the car and the seller kept looking at me funny. Finally he asked my last name, then asked about my Father by name. He was my cousin from my fathers side of the family I hadn't seen in over 40 years...... This car was my Fathers brothers car... Way cool story.
Anyway it took many washings and lots of time with a tooth brush under the hood, but now it's about the nicest bird I've owned.

So far I have had Tbirds from these years: 1977, 1978, 1986 turbo coupe, 1994 super coupe, 1996 3.8, 1995 4.6...... Why do they call me Mr. Thunderbird..... 'cause I'm Oooolllld..... LOL
Woodman likes this.

Mr.Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in