Ignition off delay - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ignition off delay

When my start my car it seems to fire up pretty normally, cranks for a second or two n fires right up. However, when I shut the ignition off, the car stays running for a pretty consistent 3 seconds, on odd occasion a tad longer. As soon as you cut the ignition the gauges drop and various dummy lights flash, couple dings, etc... But it stays running long enough for me to pull the key and show a passenger before the engine dies. It's not caused an issue in the 8 months I've owned the car, but it seems strange to me, and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or knows the culprit?

Car is a 1997 with a 1996 (3.8L) engine, ECM has already been swapped for another issue, so that is a out of a 1996 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The previous owner of my tbird complained about this issue. IIRC, the potential culprit was the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module -- aka the box with the electromechaniclal relays that can get stuck over time). You can replace the relays by resoldering new ones in or just replace the CCRM entirely (but you may be replacing one with a worn out relay with another that is also worn but not quite as beat to hell as your own). Your call.

My solution was just to wire in a kill switch that kills power everywhere (interrupts connection from battery to main junction and shunts all power from alternator to a fat resistor). No power, no engine continuing to run after ignition is turned off. Because racecar.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Okay thanks! Always puzzled me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Does anyone know which CCRM model #'s will interchange with a '97 3.8L? There is a model # on the CCRM bracket, but the module itself appears to be a generic replacement and does not have OE part #'s on it like the units I'm finding online.

F6SF-12B581-AA is on bracket

2CC is on CCRM sticker. (#'s are different but label looks like the 4Seasons replacement on Rock auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in