ECU Question - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
ECU Question

So the ecu went out in my car for some reason. I got a new one from RockAuto because no junkyard around seems to have any tbirds or cougars. However, my question is I have a SCT chip for my car which I kind of need to keep my car from running rich. Can I use it in the new ecu? The new one has no numbers or anything on it.

97 TBird Allen S/C 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I would assume so, since they are remanufactured OEM ecm's. I opted for the cheaper option of a used/tested ecm from eBay for $70.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:38 PM
PostWhore

Garage
The chip "should" override all programming in the ECU.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
The chip "should" override all programming in the ECU.
A chip will overwrite the tune in an ECU but this will only work correctly IF the new ECU uses the same strategy as the old ECU.

Multiple ECU "catchcodes" can use the same strategy but this is by no means guaranteed. In my own experience, I was given a random chip that was supposed to work with a 3.8L N/A ECU and it caused all sorts of bucking under partial throttle; clearly the chip didn't work well with my ECU but no permanent harm was done (I think damage would be highly unlikely unless the engine was put under load and even then, you'll know if it's not right way before that point)

My personal choice would have been to buy an ECU of the same catchcode off of eBay or here with some kind of guarantee from the seller vs. the random reconditioned stuff from rockauto.
-g
Woodman likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in