Cougar to scrape, what to keep - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Cougar to scrape, what to keep

As you may know I've been parting out my car. Thread. I need to get it out of my driveway soon. My question to those that have done this before:
What should I keep? Meaning what parts have you wished you had when something broke? From experience what has been important to have as a spare? Those kind of things.
- Some things I've been thinking of holding onto: Rear LCAs; Intake; Calipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I wouldn't hold onto anything listed unless you recently replaced them, the intake definitely no if it has the plastic crossover. Really, few mechanical wear parts I'd hold onto since they can all be replaced with new for not much money. I hoard the more body specific stuff that can be difficult to locate in a jam in undamaged condition. I'd keep the taillights, header panel, quarter windows, moonroof assemby(if it has one and worked), auto climate control parts like the heater controls and blower motor controller, and if it has any options your new car doesn't have(autolamp maybe) snag those components as well. If it were a Tbird I'd say keep all the black dash bezels, but since they were color coordinated in Cougars and you have a different color they probably aren't worth holding onto for your own backup. Wouldn't hurt to keep the front exhaust section either if the cats are in tact, either as backup if you plan on keeping stock exhaust or to sell for scrap.

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:17 PM
PostWhore

Garage
The rear LCA's aren't anything special unless you installed Mark VIII units. Otherwise they're just steel.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you want to be a real packrat, here are things to consider keeping as there aren't many (any) cost effective aftermarket replacement parts available. I kept all of these things as race spares.

Tbird specific bits I'd keep as spares: rear UCAs, bolts for rear UCA/LCA (if not rusted out), rear/front calipers (in case you need a quick swap or core).

Stuff to consider keeping and rebuilding at your own pace:
fuel pump assembly (can reuse as is or swap with a higher GPL pump as needed

Rear LCAs: you can do a bushing replacement at your own pace.

Rear diff (resellable w/ axles to someone doing a Factory 5 cobra IRS setup or V8 Miata) or just upgrade as your time allows.

Front Spindles + Rear Hubs: consider keeping and rebuilding with mustang lug conversion if you ever decide to go that route to get cheaper 17s.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I agree with rear spindles in that scenario, but the fronts? There's only one nut to remove for the front hub conversion, and the hubs just slide off, compare that to removing the upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links, and ABS sensor(if applicable) to get the whole spindle off. And even if you do do that and there's no way in hell you're torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car for preassembly.

-Matt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Good info, thanks. "torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car" yeah right....

As for moving options over, what's needed to add auto headlights & change the HVAC to auto controls?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
Good info, thanks. "torquing that nut to 250 ft/lbs with it detached from a car" yeah right....

As for moving options over, what's needed to add auto headlights & change the HVAC to auto controls?
It's a harness change; not completely sure if it's the dash only.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
It's a harness change; not completely sure if it's the dash only.
You're talking about auto lights, right? I figured, I can wire up my own auto light circuit easier than ripping that harness out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in