Pcm issues any advice? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Pcm issues any advice?

I have had pretty good luck overall down through the years with pcms on these cars. My 94 did do the hang injectors open thing, but I got a used reman one for that, never had a problem with the j chip either.

I have been getting my 96 data logged and email tuned by don lasota. It was near final, just going to drive back to the shop to install the wideband and maf wires so I could datalog again. I started the car, it died within a second. Then the fans and fuel pump run continuously along with no communication. Classic signs of a dead ford computer. This was a mbe3.

I called sct and they have my xcal so it can get reset. I installed my old mbe2 with 2nd gen j chip and it ran pretty good. Next day I took my son to the shop with me and the car is trying to stall the whole way there, mil is flickering each time it starts trying to stall.

I got to the shop and installed my 1st gen Jerry chip. It continued to try to die. I removed the chip altogether and the car runs good enough to not stall on me.

Why is this mbe2 having problems with the chips? I can wiggle the chips and it will die. Does this mbe2 sound like a good candidate for flashing again? It's a cardone reman, iirc. Should I just get a lot of junkyard pcms and stack them up? Really not liking how long it takes to get the tuner back when these things die. Thanks in advance!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Are you certain the problem isn't related to a potentially intermittent wiring fault in the vehicle? The fact that two different, suddenly malfunctioning PCMs are failing to keep the same car running makes me suspicious. Do you have a way to test either of these PCMs in a stock, otherwise-known-running-well vehicle to conclusively determine if the PCMs are bad?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I could plug them into another car I suppose. I'm certain the mbe3 is dead. The mbe2 is the one worrying me. While the chips are in it, it will die if you don't give it gas and the mil will flicker. Take out the chips and it will run all day long just kinda weak because no tune for the lmaf. This is why I don't think it's a wiring problem.

Does this indicate a problem with the connection between chip and pcm? I think I sanded it down until I saw copper a few years ago. Maybe I went too far lol.

-Rob
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 06:32 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
sand it clean again; you don't have to go deep, just the surface.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Just got my x3 back from sct. Guess I'm gonna flash this cardone mbe2 and keep my fingers crossed. If this pcm fails soon then we can be pretty sure there's a common root cause.

-Rob
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Garage
I have 3 mbe2's running, with no probs so far.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Glad to hear it! Flashed the mbe2 yesterday. Forgot how long it takes for the device to copy the stock tune to the device! It runs great!

On a side note I rebuilt my brake pressure reducers and the one that was leaking before is leaking hella fast now. I must've nicked one of the o rings or left a piece of trash in there. Thanks for all the quick replies!

-Rob
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Glad to hear it! Flashed the mbe2 yesterday. Forgot how long it takes for the device to copy the stock tune to the device! It runs great!

On a side note I rebuilt my brake pressure reducers and the one that was leaking before is leaking hella fast now. I must've nicked one of the o rings or left a piece of trash in there. Thanks for all the quick replies!
The housing may be corroded; these aren't new, lol.

You may need one from a jy; but I bet Ford still sells/uses them.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Years ago I would leave my PCM sitting on the floor of my passenger side of the car. Some people would kick it accidentally, and it could cause the car to do some crazy things. I believe the plug in chipsets just are not very good if you leave them sitting out. Your may be mounted, but I am not a big fan of them. The pcm in that car was good.

Are you sure there is not something else the matter, with the 80mm LMAF's the car should not run at all without a tune, it should just die out. Or at least mine would not run stock, and my buddies would also not run. They were both 96 cars

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I had my pcm in the floor for years with a chip taped into it. I pulled the pcm out because the car started doing the mil flicker surge/stall thing while I was in Waco. I pulled out the pcm, laid it in the floor and it acted good most of the time. A month or two later I determined the chip wiggling around was causing the mil flicker.

I decided a flash tune was the way to fix that. Then I flashed my mbe3 with the wrong tune (no Lmaf) along with huge vacuum leaks by my lmaf. Recently, After reopening a datalogging correspondence with don lasota, we found out about the wrong tune and maf leaks. Runs very strong right now just no brakes. Can't wait to get this all together.

-Rob
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
ok good deal. That is what I thought was going on. Those 'chip' style tunes have the weakness of needing to have a good connection at the back of the PCM. Flash tunes are a better idea.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm just glad I'm not the only bastard who let the pcm lay in the floor lol. Shoot, I even have my glovebox installed again. Now to put all the bezels back on my gauges and double din radio. They've only been off for almost 2 years.

-Rob
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
The tbird eec is still in the floor, with a W&S InfoCenter hooked up, lol.

"What the fuck is that?" has been heard more than once...

I had two FTE1 EECs go bad back to back; worked for a week, and dies with a different problem.

I swapped in an mbe2, like the other Cougars, and all is well.

At this point, I'm wondering if the Mercury, and possibly Lincoln, eecs had better QC?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The tbird eec is still in the floor, with a W&S InfoCenter hooked up, lol.

"What the fuck is that?" has been heard more than once...

I had two FTE1 EECs go bad back to back; worked for a week, and dies with a different problem.

I swapped in an mbe2, like the other Cougars, and all is well.

At this point, I'm wondering if the Mercury, and possibly Lincoln, eecs had better QC?

Weren't they all coming out of the same assembly line?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyICU View Post
Weren't they all coming out of the same assembly line?
The MN-12 Thunderbird/Cougar were built at Lorain Assembly near Cleveland while the Lincoln Mark VIII was constructed out of Wixom Assembly in Michigan.

Chris

---

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Sport - 4.6L V8 + Magnaflow dual exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in