Method to disconnect odometer beyond the cluster - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Method to disconnect odometer beyond the cluster

Can the odometer be electronically or manually disconnected beyond "out side of the cluster?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
Can the odometer be electronically or manually disconnected beyond "out side of the cluster?
The odometer is part of the speedometer; exactly what are you trying to do? Or more accurately, what is your real question?

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
If the speedo works, the odo is not disabled.

Both run from the VSS signal from the tranny; without it, the EEC freaks, and won't shift right.

The drive gears break, tho. I have one out I just repaired in a 96 Cougar.

If you take it out, you can reset it to whatever you want; but you have to tell the state, and the next seller. At least, you do here in TN.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
If the speedo works, the odo is not disabled.

Both run from the VSS signal from the tranny; without it, the EEC freaks, and won't shift right.

The drive gears break, tho. I have one out I just repaired in a 96 Cougar.

If you take it out, you can reset it to whatever you want; but you have to tell the state, and the next seller. At least, you do here in TN.

I'm asking if odo alone can be altered purposefully and made to work again outside of any physical gear disassembling via fuse or wire or any component our side of messing within the cluster itself
I just wonder if I or others have bought a car that don't quite add up to the mileage stated.

Then why did my 91 have a non working odo/trip and my Speedo worked day In and day out
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The gear failed in the 91, it's notoriously common. 97s have a different and more reliable design.

It's possible but it requires disassembling the cluster and speedometer head to access the odo drive motor. It's unlikely anyone would go to that extreme for odometer fraud considering they could just roll back the numbers at that stage.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The gear failed in the 91, it's notoriously common. ...

...It's unlikely anyone would go to that extreme for odometer fraud considering they could just roll back the numbers at that stage.
1991 5.0, As I said, you have to take it out to disable just the odo.

But as was said, once it's out, it's easy.

I wrote my numbers down just to make sure I didn't change them; shops report mileage these days, so a change shows up if you look far enough.

We have a how-to:
Note: It's a Felony in most states to change an odometer reading without reporting it. No guns, no voting. Roommate named Bubba... Who really doesn't like (your kind), lol.

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...-readings.html

If you think You're a victim of fraud, I'd search for vehicle history records for that vin.

Mileage is recorded at several places; oil change places, state inspections, dealers, etc.

Check it out.

You probably just have a broken gear.

To judge the wear on the car is tougher.

The best wear indicator I've found is the engines, and they can be easily changed.

But, there's a date sticker on the valvecover, with the build date on it, if it's original. But the original VC could be swapped.

The Cam wear is the best indicator I've found, for verifying mileage claims.

A minimally worn cam is worn (polished, I would call it) only in the middle, and by ~130k miles, it spreads across the whole cam surface. Experience: 1 new (dull finish), one 725 miles, one 100k-133k miles (vc off multi times), one 158k miles.)

IDK if you can get a pic thru the oil fill of a cam lobe, but if you can, I'll try to estimate it's mileage.
These wear pretty slowly, but more at lower miles; I think the rollers slide some when their new.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd go by that methodology with flat tappet cams but on a mod motor? I have had cams with 50k confirmed miles and cams with 200k confirmed miles, I never saw anything to that effect.

I can judge by the seats and door hinges, lots of miles have a lot of ingress/egress and it's apparent between a 20k car and a 100k car, even if it's been pampered

-Matt
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'd go by that methodology with flat tappet cams but on a mod motor? I have had cams with 50k confirmed miles and cams with 200k confirmed miles, I never saw anything to that effect.

I can judge by the seats and door hinges, lots of miles have a lot of ingress/egress and it's apparent between a 20k car and a 100k car, even if it's been pampered
Tappet cams wear in pretty quick; these take a long time to make that kind of pattern.

I agree, I could be dreaming, since my sample set is so small, and I only know the full ~0-12k history on one set of cams. (oil type, etc)

A agree the interior wear is a big one, but it can be swapped easily by a dedicated fraud. But so can everything else, pretty much.

My door hinges would suck if I hadn't already refurbed them; Hmmm, you know, the tbird still has og doors, but it's getting loose at 100k+

If you see Dorman Hinge Repair bushings in the door hinges, you may have been lied to, lol.

I know another project for warm weather.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
The gear failed in the 91, it's notoriously common. 97s have a different and more reliable design.

It's possible but it requires disassembling the cluster and speedometer head to access the odo drive motor. It's unlikely anyone would go to that extreme for odometer fraud considering they could just roll back the numbers at that stage.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Quote:

Tappet cams wear in pretty quick; these take a long time to make that kind of pattern.

I agree, I could be dreaming, since my sample set is so small, and I only know the full ~0-12k history on one set of cams. (oil type, etc)

A agree the interior wear is a big one, but it can be swapped easily by a dedicated fraud. But so can everything else, pretty much.

My door hinges would suck if I hadn't already refurbed them; Hmmm, you know, the tbird still has og doors, but it's getting loose at 100k+

If you see Dorman Hinge Repair bushings in the door hinges, you may have been lied to, lol.

I know another project for warm weather.
It was just a curious and instinctive thought .
Im pretty sure and you guys can agree by the photos 64k is about right
The interior is mint the drivers seat has no indentation/wear which I stand by as a good indicator.The rear never been sat in.
Runs like a champ. Obvious truth to being garaged based on the Tbird memorabilia in the fellas garage as well as photos and a newly garaged and covered jeep project which took the place of the bird and the Initial reason sold .
But most of all was the 38k actual miles on the original title I signed from 2000 when the fella bought the car ar 3 yrs old " and 64 k today on the odo in March 2018. The finger print film/dust is truthful to cluster tampering I've seen it on a few before and it has None .
I'm sure there's documentations of the incurded mileage in between then for the intake crossover repair and some oil changes .

All in all 26k miles in 18 years of driving sounds seasonal to me.

Last edited by 1991 5.0; 03-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
The interior would be hard to refurb without a good doner, in which case the fraudster should just sell that one LOL. And at that rate mileage really doesn't matter anyway, good interior/exterior will always trump miles on the odometer. These cars age incredibly rapidly and badly without a caring owner.

-Matt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
The interior would be hard to refurb without a good doner, in which case the fraudster should just sell that one LOL. And at that rate mileage really doesn't matter anyway, good interior/exterior will always trump miles on the odometer. These cars age incredibly rapidly and badly without a caring owner.
Agreed; the interior can be wrecked in a year in ANY car, with a pos owner.

Lazarus needs an interior rebuild; I'm going to look into leather.

All my cars are over 130k at this point, and the cougars are 100k over that, lol.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:16 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
It was just a curious and instinctive thought .
Im pretty sure and you guys can agree by the photos 64k is about right
The interior is mint the drivers seat has no indentation/wear which I stand by as a good indicator.The rear never been sat in.
Runs like a champ. Obvious truth to being garaged based on the Tbird memorabilia in the fellas garage as well as photos and a newly garaged and covered jeep project which took the place of the bird and the Initial reason sold .
But most of all was the 38k actual miles on the original title I signed from 2000 when the fella bought the car ar 3 yrs old " and 64 k today on the odo in March 2018. The finger print film/dust is truthful to cluster tampering I've seen it on a few before and it has None .
I'm sure there's documentations of the incurded mileage in between then for the intake crossover repair and some oil changes .

All in all 26k miles in 18 years of driving sounds seasonal to me.
Sounds like you're being overly paranoid, since you already listed several things to reasonably back up the mileage.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Last edited by T6Rocket; 03-14-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in