Upgraded coil and plug question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Upgraded coil and plug question

Look, I know im.not liked by some but I've never been disrespectful to you or anyone on here so please stop the b.s..cat games I thought stopped in middleschool.
Any ways. My last thread was locked and I've now spent 2 hours reading "seach" results without the answers I need..
I upgraded to accel coils and YES from multiple sources and independent studies they do produce more volts by 10-15%..
Here's what I was getting at in my thread you locked but wasn't given a chance.
What is then my best plug option? I'm under the impression with an upgraded ignition system and other mods I could benefit from have a larger gap on my plugs? What would you guys recommend ? Would then using e3 or the quad tip plugs negate any gains as they have preset gaps?
I just want to get things done to get the most out of it I can..i could just throw 1$ plugs in and 8$ coils but we all know how it would perform, probably as good as stock but idc what I spend on it, if it will be better and run better with more power , I'm going that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Motorcraft (Autolite) plugs, coils and wires and call it a day. Don't waste the money on anything else, won't be gaining a thing.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I already ordered the accel coils..
With the motorcraft plugs and the accel coils,should I still run the stock gap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

Glad you came back for an opinion, and an answer. In your first thread you said, plug life isn't an issue, performance is. Long ago I read: copper is the best conductor of electricity. However, it also has the shortest life.

https://www.carsdirect.com/car-repai...op-performance
Copper Spark Plugs vs. Iridium and Platinum: Understand for Top Performance
January 27, 2012

Many people come to the point where they are forced to change the spark plugs on their vehicle and face a difficult decision; copper spark plugs or those of another type? You can find spark plugs in a variety of different metal combinations, including aluminum spark plugs, iridium plugs, platinum and more. Copper core spark plugs are still the most commonly seen, however, and many people agree that they are the best. However, the advertising that accompanies the different types of spark plugs is potentially misleading, so it's important to recognize the real difference between the spark plugs in question. In order to do that, it's necessary to first learn about what the metal in the spark plug is used for.
Purpose of the Metal

The metal in a spark plug serves a single basic purpose: to channel the electric energy from the plug wire through the spark plug so that it can be forced to the engine block in the form of a spark. Therefore, any metal that conducts electricity at all could potentially be used for a spark plug. The metal should also not get too hot; one of the main problems with some metals is that they overheat quickly, causing the electric charge itself to be compromised and the spark plug to not operate as smoothly.
Copper Spark Plugs

Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.
Platinum and Iridium Plugs

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity. Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a performance that is decent, which is why iridium plugs tend to be more expensive than any other type. Still, the difference between these plugs in terms of overall quality is minimal, as there is a trade off for each.

Most copper plugs need to be changed every 20,000 miles or so. Platinum and iridium plugs can often go for twice that before they require changing, but the overall performance will not be as good and you may have to deal with overheating of the plugs. This is potentially not worth the added cost of both platinum and iridium spark plugs, although the decision will depend upon your preference.

If you have any other questions about spark plugs and which are right for your vehicle, consult with a mechanic for more advice.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you TbirdBob..that makes alot of sense, I was always under the impression that copper plugs were mainly for older carb cars or when you needed a colder range plug for like n2o or boost...
I will keep reading..i know slot of you are laughing because I am always 3x checking over my options when it come to installing new parts..
And I would have gotten motorcraft coils but there was a deal on the accel ones I couldn't pass up, my o'rielys wanted like 40$ a coil. And I just found out I coulda just got a new boot too but who knows how old they all are so im replacing them all for a piece of mind..plus 2 were mismatched ..
And lol, with what hackjobs have been done to my car here at the local shop..its best if I can avoid them mechanics at all costs..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
Look, I know im.not liked by some but I've never been disrespectful to you or anyone on here so please stop the b.s..cat games I thought stopped in middleschool.
Any ways. My last thread was locked and I've now spent 2 hours reading "seach" results without the answers I need..
I upgraded to accel coils and YES from multiple sources and independent studies they do produce more volts by 10-15%..
Here's what I was getting at in my thread you locked but wasn't given a chance.
What is then my best plug option? I'm under the impression with an upgraded ignition system and other mods I could benefit from have a larger gap on my plugs? What would you guys recommend ? Would then using e3 or the quad tip plugs negate any gains as they have preset gaps?
I just want to get things done to get the most out of it I can..i could just throw 1$ plugs in and 8$ coils but we all know how it would perform, probably as good as stock but idc what I spend on it, if it will be better and run better with more power , I'm going that route.
You wasted your money, you won't gain power, and try actually clicking on the search results rather than reading the two hour long list of topic titles containing "spark plug". Every answer graciously given to you here is in fact in them.

*click*

-Matt
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in