• 2 Post By Trunk Monkey
  • 3 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 2 Post By Irv
  • 1 Post By blu95lx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Spark Plugs

I replaced NGK, TR5 with E-3, E3.53 plugs.

Trying to get the last bit of performance out of the light weight cougar.

The old plugs, two years old looked new. E85 burns real clean.

The performance was the same. 11.88 NGK, 11.89 E3.

Bottom line, don't waist your money.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 05:15 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post
Bottom line, don't waste your money.
Good info, thanks!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

How do you feel about your ngk ones compared to motorcrafts?
Did you have any negative effects with the e3? Was idle or anything better ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post

What part of:

Quote:

don't you understand?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

No change in how the engine ran, idled, etc.....

Also e3's are made in china.

I didn't know that, but they pay $150 for a win and $75 for a runner up.
NMCA

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Quote:

What part of:

Quote:

don't you understand?
The part he said performance..not dtiveability..
Wtf. Why just take shots at me?
What have I ever done other than help keep this site n cars alive and be nothing but respectful to you and your crew.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:43 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
You guys do realize the requirements for spark plugs are completely different between our cars, and marks, right?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
You guys do realize the requirements for spark plugs are completely different between our cars, and marks, right?
Yes ..i just like 1st hand information on products i may use that you guys personally used already...i will come to you guys be for I would take my car to any shop any where around here.
You guys are a fricken Tbird encyclopedia.
Tbird Bob likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
The part he said performance..not dtiveability..
What have I ever done other than help keep this site n cars alive and be nothing but respectful to you and your crew.
Drive-ablilty is a sub-set of Performance. They are the same.

Quite the contrary, you kill these cars.

You've been through more usernames on this forum and more of these MN12's, and now FN10 cars than I care to count.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've run the E3 spark plugs in my TBird. I had misfires from bad (Motorcraft) coil packs and plugs. I put new MSD coil packs, 9mm Ford racing wires and E3 plugs in and it ran better than it ever had so I was happy with them. They were in the car 6 years (2008 to 2014) before I finally decided to freshen things up for maintenance. Not 1 misfire out of those plugs and ran strong before I replaced them.

I replaced them with platinum NGKs that lasted about 8 months and had to replace them with more NGKs that are still in now but haven't been driven in 2 1/2 years. Every year I go to Texas it starts on the first try with no issues while idling or revving.

The E3s are pricey but for as long as they lasted I say it was worth it. I even put them in my 04 Navigator 5.4 4V in 2011 and sold the vehicle with them in there in 2015 with no issues.

I say try shit for yourself sometimes and if it doesn't work go back to original parts. I have learned some expensive lessons but it wasn't the end of the world. I tried the MSD coil packs because of the deal I got on them at the time. Everyone said they were junk and wouldn't last long but 10 years later they're still going strong. Maybe it's just the luck of my car because the original 95 transmission is in it still after putting it through accidental neutral bombs and 15mph shift into reverse lol.

I always drove it hard to break something to have a reason to upgrade things but nothing major has broke. This is not an attempt to prove anyone wrong or right just my experience.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-28-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Format for easier reading.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:43 AM

Garage
The e3's will die in a bout 10k miles, due to 4 of the center electrodes burning off.

Trunk Monkey likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The e3's will die in a bout 10k miles, due to 4 of the center electrodes burning off.

Agreed the E3's are junk - see also "Pulse Star", Bosh Platinum +4", etc. See this thread from 2008. This is old news.

Here's a good summary of the ilk that I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_E_Meehan
You will not only save money using OEM plugs, but you will likely get better results.

Spark plugs have one function. Provide a spark to get the ignition of fuel started. Once started that is it.

These plugs are claiming that lighting a forest fire with a match will make a slower or less intense forest fire than using a blow torch. It's just not so.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/puls...k-plugs/1736/4
driller and Woodman like this.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 04-21-2018 at 05:50 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM
PostWhore

E3's sound like this decade's "Split-Fire" plugs. I fell for those back in the 90's and tried a set in a turbo car. Hey, 5 horsepower after all! I was back to factory plugs within a year. But they got my money.

These fancy plugs are all gimmicks. They use aggressive advertising to sell the product, and they don't care if you realize they are crap, because other people are buying a set. It takes 4-5 years for the majority to realize they are just gimmicks and flush that turd product down the toilet.

The only product that has the "lifetime gimmick" stamp of disapproval is Bosch Platinum plugs. They never met a car they couldn't kill.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

How about not just repeating what you heard and sending it along when you have no 1st hand experience with the said product..
Stop bashing products your buddy's buddy said was crap..
I get flammed for talking about my bad tuning experience because he was your buddy but you guys can slam any company you want..
How about not posting any input on anything unless you personally used it or installed it..
Let's post facts, not opinions.
Not everybody can afford the oem at times of need, I've used LOTS of knock off sensors and eBay parts that you guys said would never work or cause issues and I have had very very little..and what issues with any products I've had I've posted, like my powerstop nightmare but somehow because you guys like them, rather than the parts being at fault (which they were and got refunded,Just like my tune) I was told that some how I did something wrong..
C'mon guys..

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-28-2018 at 10:24 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:47 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
YOU bought all your brake parts before asking ANYONE ANYTHING. It was the same circlejerk bullshit you always do, where you buy something, and then ask: "hey guys, this was the best purchase ever, right?" Then use it regardless, and in this case have an issue due to poor installation, and whine and whine and whine. Most of us told you to use stock 10.5 rotors and PBR calipers, and you didn't listen, you wanted bling, so don't blame us for your failure. We're not the ones with shitty clapped out cars, so you might want to reconsider your little tantrum, because if you want facts...

Quote:
If keeping the site alive is the reason you're insistent on making redundant posts, and questioning every answer that doesn't line up with what you want to hear, and spreading poor tech based on assumptions and rationalizations you've made, please don't bother. This is site is about quality, not quantity, and believe me, our crew has better things to do than being a cleanup crew. I've not locked a thread without request in quite a while, and it isn't because of inactivity.

As for keeping these cars alive, ditto. I really really try to bite my tongue on matters of taste and style, but I'm making special exception here. Every. Single. Car. You have posted belongs in this thread --> http://forums.tccoa.com/30-videos-im...rd-coug-6.html <-- by the time you're through with the poor things, up to and including the clown nosed Lincoln. They look like cars run in lemons racing, but without the self aware whimsy of it. Now, if that's you're thing, FINE. But every car you've had inevitably ends up for sale or trade every two months like clockwork anyway, and I'll nitpick every one of them the same way when I'm going over any other thrown together shitbox on Craigslist. Throw in questionable mechanical quality(let me guess, you're running the 90mm MAF without a tune, considering you're hocking an unlocked xcal?) and all bets are off, it's up for public consumption now. When I look at your Lincoln or your last Thunderbird, or that red Cougar you had, they make me sympathize with the Honda community, frequently derided as ricers, for having so many clapped out Civics with douchebag owners making a mockery of the brand.

I just have to ask, have you noticed a pattern of certain attitudes towards you on the various forums you've been on over the years? The moderators, and imagine most longtime members, figured out who you were within days after you started your current duplicate account. 12 or 13 usernames going back to 2010 doesn't change the personality, and many of us (both mods and regular members, just so you know) are on other forums that you're on or have been on, and I know for a fact we're not the only "crew" who you perceive as picking on you.

The fact is the common denominator of your frustrations is you, you suck at spelling and grammar in a medium where it matters, your cars make people feel uncomfortable, because they're too polite to say how they really feel about them, and every technical question you ask, that is graciously answered, with real experiences and real insight, you always follow it up "ok, but what if..." or "but it felt faster when I....", just because the answer doesn't jive with some part you already bought off Craigslist and just have to use, "because mods are better!". No they aren't. You ALWAYS get what you pay for, and the Mickey Mouse junk you "mod" your car with has very likely made no actual measurable gains(losses, perhaps) Not that it matters because you're probably still street racing like a 16 year old, despite being a fucking grown up with a family, and using your keen senses to verify all you do.

Any mail tuner would have had their hands full with you, because there is so much BS and misinformation constantly spewed here by you, I could only imagine the phone calls or emails. It must be like giving an eye exam to a patient who refuses to read an eye chart. I knew the minute you went with Don it wouldn't go well, he specializes in tuning good cars for good people who know what they're doing and can take direction.

And by the way, we would have banned you again back in November 16 if it weren't for the futility of it - we didn't feel like cleaning up 50 daily posts from you trying to game marketplace access to hock your garbage nobody buys again - and since your presence always inevitably grates on everyone, we felt it would just be easier to let the natural course of things play out. Maybe it is middle school games, but if you're going to act like a middle schooler, we can only oblige.
Rodeo Joe, Grog6 and Trunk Monkey like this.

-Matt
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
damn
Attached Images
File Type: png raw.png (285.4 KB, 40 views)

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Banned

Clown nose lincoln....lol
I fricken love Xr-7

And O.P, how come you chose ngk over motorcraft? Are they a range colder plug or something ?
And yes guys I know dohc differs from sohc . But few of my buddies are in the sohc 4.6 and if I can help them,I do

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-28-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Irv
1st Gear Poster

I don't have much to add as a lurker, and for the most part, I prefer to keep things that way even though I've been around TCCoA in all its iterations since 1999. Currently, I have far more thread subscriptions to my account than posts. For various reasons, I haven't wanted to participate much here since these current forums opened in 2002 even though I was one of the first to register. Mostly, it was because there were too many damn people over the years with a budget of $47.88. I've only recently tried to participate more because I know there is no way that some good info that gets posted on Facebook will be properly archived for posterity.

However, even as a relative outsider from the day-to-day activity of these forums, I know that every thread that involves 94badbird is a shitshow waiting to happen. As for not commenting on products that you haven't personally used, FOH. I don't need to install a 225/75/16 tire on these cars to know that idea makes no damn sense whatsoever. I don't need to install JBA headers or Moog strut rod to LCA bushings to know that those parts are all junk.

Last month, I installed those exact same Power Stop rear pads that 94badbird claims are noisy and defective for any number of "blind dart throw" reasons including the pad material being a carbon ceramic compound, and all I have to say is PEBCAK. Any single empirical data point is only as credible as its user, which is why I wasn't at all worried about getting those Power Stop pads. They work great, by the way, as if anyone really had to ask.
Rodeo Joe and Trunk Monkey like this.

Irv
1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

Last edited by Irv; 03-28-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
...Any single empirical data point is only as credible as its user, which is why I wasn't at all worried about getting those Power Stop pads. They work great, by the way, as if anyone really had to ask.
I'm using the same pads; they stop really well.

The powerstop PBR kit is a really nice upgrade; I even like the Bright Red Powdercoating, lol.

I appreciate your insight, Irv.

We've been here long enough, that here are threads here for almost anything you'd want to do to these cars, including an aborted 5.4l swap thread, and successful Coyote swaps.

I did the upgrade to a PI intake, PI engine, and am building a Teksid block and C heads, all based a mostly on info Posted here from members here like Nick, and nasvt, and Matt, and Don... The list is immense.

The big key is: do the homework, learn what works; multiple fails in all categories are archived here for eternity.

I'll never understand why some people work so hard on obvious fail, and constant trolling; is that a form of Munchhausen's, maybe?

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Clown nose lincoln....lol
I fricken love Xr-7

And O.P, how come you chose ngk over motorcraft? Are they a range colder plug or something ?
And yes guys I know dohc differs from sohc . But few of my buddies are in the sohc 4.6 and if I can help them,I do
to answer for you, on behalf of the O.P, Ngk tr55's are a stock replacement for agsf32 motorcraft plugs... same heat range. E3.53 .. same heat range. difference is price, with the e3's providing no real improvement in performance via speed nor mpg. NGK's are usually about a buck cheaper per plug than motorcraft but still fall into the OEM replacement category. however both have a drive life of around 30k miles. Still though, SAME HEAT RANGE.

considering a simple search through a popular parts retailer for this information was easy enough, your friends with either a sohc or dohc might want to reconsider your advice. Considering plug advice (even heat range) is one of the easiest to give.

I have no bone to pick with you. It seems you're picking fights on a forum for the sake of picking fights. And whats sad is you seem to have ready combatants. We're all in this game for the same reason. We all have old slow cars that all we want is to achieve more performance, a great look and keep these nearly extinct brands on the road so we along with others can appreciate their beauty.

Basically, all should ease up. To R429460 lesson learned my man. I worked 11 years in the auto parts business. I can't tell you how many times i was rehearsed to say "the E3's will knock your socks off" or "you should get the factory replacements" and I always asked the same questions 1. are you swapping them out? if so, it doesnt matter, pick the stock heat range ill show you your options and 2. will you come back to see me for your larger projects once you realize i saved you a ton and helped temper your expectations.

There is too much hate these days. Let it go. Thats why we work on cars.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

95 Lx 4.6
coming back to life!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in