Stock coil vs after markets - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Stock coil vs after markets

Here's what I can tell by looking at them and all the research I've done, you guys are correct in that even with a hotter spark or higher max voltage output you won't see any gains ,the only time you would is if say your plugs were already kinda crap and that hotter spark n more volts make it fire correctly .
The stock coil seems to have a shorter wound coil and both after markets ones have a steel bar in the middle of that spring and the yellow one weighed the most such is due to better injection molding and insulation .
Now, on the stock plugs the boots are better. They have extra ridges on them which help keep moisture out but didn't sit as far down onto the plug as the aftermarket ones do. The aftermarket ones actually cover the plug perfectly and stock came a little short..
When I removed all my old coils one of the aftermarket ones the boot just fell apart so the rubber was garbage on what ever brand it was, no name or part numbers, the yellow ones are motorking which I took a gamble on as they have up and down reviews..but I got all of them for the price of one stock coil.
I know you wanna flame me but they run great and fit more snug than stock..
It's my opinion that in a lot of cases stock is good as it's what came on the car..but as time passes other company take the stock design and try and improve on it in anyway. There's a lot if marketing too I won't get involved with..but oem and stock both have failure rates and both can be bought brand new and bad out the box..
What could the bar do in the aftermarket coils ? Maybe help conduct?
The gray coil is unknown brand , yellow is motorking and black are stock motorcraft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180329_151319_1522369860119.jpg (2.21 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20180329_151312_1522369878799.jpg (1.89 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180329_151333_1522369924655.jpg (1.78 MB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Are you just trolling to make us waste time responding to you?

You need serious help, really.

I'm not just saying this; your personality type is the type of person that goes and beats the ir girlfriend, or shoots up a school.

Get help, really.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

lol...lets the haters hate..
Just saving people hassle..
Why spend 350$ when you can get sane quality for 50$ and why spend 250-300 on knock offs when the boots will rot out..
Grog, no offense but I'm above hitting on ur children comments about me..i know who I am and what I got and I'm more than happy with me and the ones I choose to surround my self with.
And lol troll, this 2001 again? And arnt we the pot calling the kettle black buddy? Seems since I've been here you've taken a shot at me any given chance and even when you don't have a reason you go and say something absurd like above..
I was the kid in high school you wished you were buddy? You still in H.S? Because this is just stupid man..
Gimme one good legit reason for you to act towards me the way you have?

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-29-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:44 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
We care about you, even if you don't care for yourself, or the others around you.

There really are people who can help you, you just have to give them a chance.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
We care about you, even if you don't care for yourself, or the others around you.

There really are people who can help you, you just have to give them a chance.

Man, I do..everything i know about these cars I credit to this community and I've met some awesome people too through here that if you talked to them would have nothing but good to say about me..
Sorry I do tend to aggravate people . I don't mean it. I'm not dumb though I come across as,lol...its ok, I accepted it and have humbled my self..
With all you guys done for me if I can save some people hassles by what I've personally gone through with these cars I will..
I post honest unbiased real world results on various things with these cars and like to share it with people it could benefit..
I'm sorry if somehow I have offended you..again..i mean no harm buddy.
I'm stuck in an area wheres resorces are limited and its like the 60s up here still,lol honestly....the major shop up here has butchered my cars twice horribly and the only way now anything gets touched on my car is by me. And there's lots I have yet to learn and I been trying to use the search better. I found on my phone if I turn off Mobil and on fullsite I get lots more results and better refined ..
I don't trust the net as there is soooo much misinformation and contradicting stuff it's like you just have to pick and choose what to believe a lot of the time..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The problem with many of the aftermarket ones is not their ability to fire the plug, but their longevity. Stock ones last at least 10 years, frequently more like 15. Aftermarket ones last 2-3 years. If you have no intention of keeping the car long-term, by all means get the aftermarket ones and save some money, but if you plan on having the car for the long haul, as many of us do, you are better off spending more money now to get good quality ones that you won't have to touch again for a long time.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
To add to that Ford coils have undergone continuous refinement as production has continued, so newer coils tend to be longer lasting than the earliest versions(which I believe the Gen II Mark VIIIs were the first users of COP). The aftermarket doesn't have that benefit, they don't have that massive R&D behind them.

-Matt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I could tell that that after market coil was garbage..it didn't look too old and as of matter fact I have receipts that came with the car and I remember seeing 2 coils and imcr replaced once, I swear it wasn't more than 4 years ago..so for that boot to rot that fast is terrible..i hope these coils I got don't but egh I could just always put the oem boots I have left on these and buy 2 replacement books for like 12$..
Drove it around tonight be for the snowstorm hits and it runs as good as it should, no complaints .
And these were an 8th the price of oem so if they last half as long I'm happy..
Anybody have any idea what that metal rod is inbetween the tight coiled part of the spring on the after market ones?

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-29-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Poster

My 95 LX is still running the stock OE coils, I'd better go find some wood to knock on.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybuc View Post
My 95 LX is still running the stock OE coils, I'd better go find some wood to knock on.
You got coilpacks,I got c.o.p though.
And these new coils have 0 issues..car is running like it should and after a 300 mile round trip my mileage went up..my instant was hovering between 30 and 33 so I'm happy..the 26.3 was after driving in town the past month and finally some freeway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180404_184356_1522935936187.jpg (265.3 KB, 4 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in