Worth getting or not? - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Trunk Monkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Lol, so another trade in the works..
I been talking to the guy and the heads are complete and including mach1 cams..
They are stage 2 fully ported and complete heads with mach1 cams and have an print cut into the head? Is that for clearance with boost or to lower compression ?
He doesn't have the spec sheet but what I'm wondering is with them being ported as they are for boost supposedly, would I loose compression and in return power running them n/a ???
I love the idea of them exp with the mach1 cams and is a perfect excuse for a topend rebuild.i know I said I'm done trying to go faster but if I can trade what I got for this set up and have it actually be beneficial for me I wanna..plus then obv the motor gets to get new timing chains ect...
Could you guys offer any input ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00h0h_C5a0AgFYeM_600x450_1522504939697.jpg (17.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 00y0y_hW2YpVh2wux_600x450_1522504946932.jpg (27.6 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-31-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
They are stage 2 fully ported and complete heads with mach1 cams and have an print cut into the head? Is that for clearance with boost or to lower compression ?
He doesn't have the spec sheet but what I'm wondering is with them being ported as they are for boost supposedly, would I loose compression and in return power running them n/a ???
I love the idea of them exp with the mach1 cams and is a perfect excuse for a topend rebuild.i know I said I'm done trying to go faster but if I can trade what I got for this set up and have it actually be beneficial for me I wanna..plus then obv the motor gets to get new timing chains ect...
Mach 1 cams (C head cams) in a B head? Is that a thing?

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Quote:
Mach 1 cams (C head cams) in a B head? Is that a thing?
Idk either..i will start researching though.if not atleast I can use the cams I have and just get rid of the mach1 cams..
Although if doing all this I would just start part gathering and plan on having the engine done over next winter . I seen after market intake cams for 250-400$ range which isn't bad, if I'm doing all this works and the heads are ported as much as they are I might just need them..
So this is what I'm go ding is this true??
The c heads cams will actually cause me to loose hp because even the stock 98 m8 cams have 184 degrees of duration and 96-98 have 204 degrees (which I have) and 03 04 mach1 are also 184 degrees. Does this sound correct.
Are the mach1 cams only good for the tumbleport or boosted aplications ?

Last edited by 94badbird; 03-31-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:16 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
So, what do have that you are you trading for these?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Quote:
So, what do have that you are you trading for these?

Joe
My sct...

And I read that people use the 96-98 cams in the later 4v for a little hp..
So I just have to research more..
And if I read it correctly, the mach1 intake cams are almost similar to m8 cams,that doesn't seem rite.?
Also once I get them I think I might get cobra manifold then and run a full catless exhaust..
Lol,mods I like what you've 😉
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'm not helping.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-31-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: even that was too helpful.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:21 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Mach 1 cams in B ports dont do anything to help. I asked that question on SVTperformance when I was learning more about 4 valves.

The only swap kinda like this that I heard works is taking some 96-98 B port Cobra intake cams and swapping them into C port Mach 1s, makes and extra 15whp with no torque loss iirc.

Given the cobras are rated 15hp more than your Mark, and only the intake cams and intake are different between the two, Id look around for an intake and the intake cams from a 96-98 cobra.

Plus B ports are already large enough, their problem is velocity. Making them bigger by porting them will only hurt. The valve bowls are what needs help, so unless he had those worked on, nothing in the deal would be worth it for you.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Mach 1 cams in B ports dont do anything to help. I asked that question on SVTperformance when I was learning more about 4 valves.

The only swap kinda like this that I heard works is taking some 96-98 B port Cobra intake cams and swapping them into C port Mach 1s, makes and extra 15whp with no torque loss iirc.

Given the cobras are rated 15hp more than your Mark, and only the intake cams and intake are different between the two, Id look around for an intake and the intake cams from a 96-98 cobra.

Plus B ports are already large enough, their problem is velocity. Making them bigger by porting them will only hurt. The valve bowls are what needs help, so unless he had those worked on, nothing in the deal would be worth it for you.
Exact info I need..i want to know what to look for..
I mean imo it's worth it just to trade to have..its always been my dream to go boosted this would help it along..
And I do know someone with a boosted 4v and he's a good buddy and I know he would love these..
I been researching on these all day any chance I had to sit down...been non stop for days now and Easter tomorrow then a nice night of walking dead with the family and more reading on these ect..i plan in checking them out this weekend..
And xr7-4.6 , your the 4v know how guy here..and I have also come to find 96 98 cams are the ideal ones to have so that's pretty cool.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM
PostWhore

I wouldn't do it. If only for the fact that if he's willing to trade ported heads and cams for a dinky SCT, I would highly suspect that there is something wrong with them.

When heads are ported, there is always a risk of hitting the coolant passage. I have seen it first hand more times than I ever wanted to.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I wouldn't do it. If only for the fact that if he's willing to trade ported heads and cams for a dinky SCT, I would highly suspect that there is something wrong with them.

When heads are ported, there is always a risk of hitting the coolant passage. I have seen it first hand more times than I ever wanted to.

Al
THIS. Something doesn't make sense.
What is the value of modular heads? I imagine a good deal more. What is the cost of shipping a set of modular heads+cams? How much is the shipping cost as a percentage of the SCT's value?

While Al suspects you are going to get junk heads -- I'm guessing the most reasonable explanation (unless this is coming from a friend in a F2F transaction and he's doing you a solid favor) -- is that you will mail the SCT and never hear from the guy again.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post

Al
THIS. Something doesn't make sense.
What is the value of modular heads? I imagine a good deal more. What is the cost of shipping a set of modular heads+cams? How much is the shipping cost as a percentage of the SCT's value?

While Al suspects you are going to get junk heads -- I'm guessing the most reasonable explanation (unless this is coming from a friend in a F2F transaction and he's doing you a solid favor) -- is that you will mail the SCT and never hear from the guy again.

-g
If I decide on them i will be going in person to check them out..
And I'm kinda leaning against them..if built for boost I'm sure it will dog down a n/a and I'm working another deal for cobra cams,intake and intake tube..
Would any of you guys need or want these ported heads and cams?? I can make it happen if it's worth our while..

Last edited by 94badbird; 04-03-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage

Rodeo Joe and Boston-Bull like this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I past and got fenders and a bunch of other random stuff and $.. also guy had like 10 mark 8s and a bunch of stang and birds ..so if I ever need a part or work done I now have the guy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in