Mechanic cost for replace of fuel pump and/or rear diff - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Mechanic cost for replace of fuel pump and/or rear diff

For anyone who has paid mechanic to replace fuel pump or rear differential on their TBird what did you pay in labor?

I thought I'd have time to do some of this work myself but don't and will probably be bringing it in somewhere to have the work done.

It runs 100% of the time 80% of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Back when I first started driving my car it was having what I though to be a fuel pump issue that I couldnt figure out. The place I brought it to found that it was the connector that plugged into the pump. I paid $300, so at the cost of a $15 connector Id say that was basically the labor cost.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:29 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
For anyone who has paid mechanic to replace fuel pump or rear differential on their TBird what did you pay in labor?

I thought I'd have time to do some of this work myself but don't and will probably be bringing it in somewhere to have the work done.
I would call around and get estimates. Some places will look up flat rate time and multiply it by their shop rate. Others may look at the car and give you a number, and sometimes you can haggle.

I estimate those jobs are 2-4 hrs each, most shops are $100/hr so $200-$400 ish per job + parts and fluids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM
PostWhore

When you say "rear differential", are you talking about swapping in a whole assembled pumpkin, or taking off the rear cover and going inside and replacing the differential?

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Kind of slapped together

When I took Ruby Jean (our 1991 Cougar) in to get its fuel pump replaced (wasn't the problem with an intermittent hard start; turns out it was a bad ground to the ECU! - but in fairness, I'd done the fuel filter, regulator, and injectors already, and was thinking it was a fuel bleed down issue, since a couple of primes and it's be up and running) I paid $300 for the fuel pump replacement and a lube of the U-joints (since he had the driveshaft down). Mechanic also topped off the diff and hit the zerks on the front suspension while it was up in the air.

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in