Sohc swap into my 98 LSC??? - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wile E. Coyote Jr.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A deal came up on a from what he told me a decent built sohc ..
It's complete ,has all the bolt ons you can fit underdrives-75mm intake-ford pi manifold-,tf heads and compcams if I remember correctly.
But what stood out was the pi manifold and it has the cop spots and it already has 24lb injectors.
I'm thinking it should make close to the power of my 98 dohc engine is sooo.

My1st ? Is, can this swap be done?
Here's what I'm thinking..i could get the sohc cops and run the exhaust..

My 2nd ? Is i would like to go to long tubes if there's no modifying of the steering shaft ECT or just cheap shorties..lol I will use stock manifolds if I have to..whats are my choices with these ?

I know stuff like throttle cable,removing air injection and a tune obv but could I swap it in and have it be driveable you think enough to get it on n off a trailer to get dyno tuned once I'm back living in Milwaukee or you think Don the don could tune something like that in if I have all the specs of the engine and parts?
I would run my mafs and the 24lb injectors and as many as my engines electronics as possible..i can't imagine the wire harness needing much modding other than lengthening a few wires.

Any thoughts on this guys ? You think that setup engine make the same or more power than my dohc?
Plus as much as I love a dohc a sohc is just so much easier and cheaper to make power on imo. Plus I know them 1000x better..

Last edited by 94badbird; 06-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:38 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Youd need to modify the wiring harness in some way I bet, maybe even a tune. Any headers you want are either gonna take time to modify to fit, take time to modify the car for them to fit, or cost a lot of cash. JBA shorties are the only other option and they have been shot down on this site over the course of many years.

Idk whyd you even think about a sohc swap man. You can get a mark engine for a few hundred bucks in Michigan, which is where I bought MY mark VIII engine for $200, and my oil pan which was rust free somehow.
ShadowDragon likes this.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote Jr.; 06-21-2018 at 01:44 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Youd need to modify the wiring harness in some way I bet, maybe even a tune. Any headers you want are either gonna take time to modify to fit, take time to modify the car for them to fit, or cost a lot of cash. JBA shorties are the only other option and they have been shot down on this site over the course of many years.

Idk whyd you even think about a sohc swap man. You can get a mark engine for a few hundred bucks in Michigan, which is where I bought MY mark VIII engine for $200, and my oil pan which was rust free somehow.
I've been looking with no luck..if you could find me a 97-98 Complete will consider mileage and send meba link or info it would be a huuuuge help,just rember though i am in the upper peninsula michigan, I will travel as far South as Wausau wi,west Ashland and east Marquette,so really 3hours any direction from bessemer,49911...i really need this car going again..we love it..
Only reason I considered a sohc is it would cost 400 out of pocket and my sound system only but I would rather spend up to 600 on a direct replacement..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Search Results

first one in the list

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
His search medium doesnt extend beyond craigslist, salvage operations on car-part aren't interested in shitty trades.

-Matt
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That's just it, I found plenty too but that's lower michigan im in upper michigan..too far of a haul for me BUT I will search the Milwaukee area soon then I can just have a family member haul it up to where ever my car is.
I have to try and find something close and under 1k cash...so knock it off xr7..
i have looked and have a few eyes n ears out too,I'm tryin g to get in contact with a buddy that has a farm full of mark 8s,birds n such..lol im tempted to just take the 3 hour drive to his place if get desperate enough

Anyone willing to sell me a complete motor,shipped to my door..lol I prefer mods on it but stock can do..
I can do 1000$ engine plus shopping. I got a quote for a 67k mile one shipped to my door for 1300 or sa8d make offer they can't refuse..but it isn't complete..i would like an extra set of manifold too if you have them so I can just cut mine off to remove the engine and hollow out the cat on the new ones..

Last edited by 94badbird; 06-21-2018 at 05:51 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
That's just it, I found plenty too but that's lower michigan im in upper michigan..too far of a haul for me BUT I will search the Milwaukee area soon then I can just have a family member haul it up to where ever my car is.
I have to try and find something close and under 1k cash...so knock it off xr7..
i have looked and have a few eyes n ears out too,I'm tryin g to get in contact with a buddy that has a farm full of mark 8s,birds n such..lol im tempted to just take the 3 hour drive to his place if get desperate enough

Anyone willing to sell me a complete motor,shipped to my door..lol I prefer mods on it but stock can do..
I can do 1000$ engine plus shopping. I got a quote for a 67k mile one shipped to my door for 1300 or sa8d make offer they can't refuse..but it isn't complete..i would like an extra set of manifold too if you have them so I can just cut mine off to remove the engine and hollow out the cat on the new ones..
I drove 3 hours down, 3 hours back for my $300 Explorer long block. It was worth the $75 in gas.

Other options I had locally were iron block PI's (which were an option) but much higher mileage (not that big a deal) and I wanted an aluminum block. Yes, driving down to lower michigan is time consuming, but do-able. Here's a complete 1993 Mark VIII engine in Duluth for $350. Search Results

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Is there alot involved in swapping over to use a pre 97 style dohc? Obv the intake but my imcr's , timing cover , a.c. or any other pullies or anything ???
What about valve covers ? Those are coilpack and mine is cop. I would have no problem going to Duluth n only spending 350 if it's simple shit to swap over.
I'm also having a hard time guts with internet and phone service out here because of the flooding and power outages..cant even get a tech out here until Tuesday ..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Is there alot involved in swapping over to use a pre 97 style dohc? Obv the intake but my imcr's , timing cover , a.c. or any other pullies or anything ???
What about valve covers ? Those are coilpack and mine is cop. I would have no problem going to Duluth n only spending 350 if it's simple shit to swap over.
I'm also having a hard time guts with internet and phone service out here because of the flooding and power outages..cant even get a tech out here until Tuesday ..
Heads are essentially the same, so just swap your original cam covers/cop/wiring harness. Pull your motor, swap accessories/cam covers/etc, everything else should be essentially identical since they're all B head, and only difference was a tune for 10hp more on the LSC.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Quote:
Heads are essentially the same, so just swap your original cam covers/cop/wiring harness. Pull your motor, swap accessories/cam covers/etc, everything else should be essentially identical since they're all B head, and only difference was a tune for 10hp more on the LSC.
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on it..
Can anyone chime in on this please ?
Exactly what do I need to swap over??
Start from bottom on up.
Ps pump ,ac and all that in the same order still or do I have to change timing covers and accessories then?
If I just have to swap over valve covers,imcr's, intake manifold and that's it..i will buy that engine in a week ! But I need to know if the juice is worth the squeeze .
I'm trying to borrow the other 900 I need and I can bring this home, guy said he would put new lines in and having it driving again too
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/p...620186452.html
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Everything is the same except your intake since its an older engine. Swap the intake, and the valve covers on and youre done.

Everything else is a direct swap. Have fun

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Everything is the same except your intake since its an older engine. Swap the intake, and the valve covers on and youre done.

That's what it looks like, I sat out there with net pics of pre engines and compared them and it looks pretty strait forward ..
Now I just have to source a hoist and an extra pair of hands..
I guess here we go. Once I got cash in hand I will inquire about that engine Woodman pointed to me which should be next Friday when I get my check or sooner of I sell something
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

What about like crank sensors n knock sensors n stuff since it's going from an obd1 ecu to obd2 ????
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:16 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
What about like crank sensors n knock sensors n stuff since it's going from an obd1 ecu to obd2 ????
Spend the money on new crank, cam, etc sensors. Get Motorcraft, don't get cheap, don't get ebay, go to rock auto and get the good stuff. Not that expensive, and replace them while the engine is out and they're easy to reach.

Oil pan is the same, exhaust manifolds are the same, the yard will probably cut the original, so if you're going to do Kooks, now is the time. I got my 2 ton hoist for $150 on ebay. Harbor freight has them too. An engine stand is $50 on ebay, unless you find one in a garage sale. If you can get the car high enough, dropping the K is much easier. if not, take the engine and transmission out together. WOrth the extra effort as that's my issue now getting my engine in. If you're ever going to do Kooks, now is the time.

A way to drop the K is to get the car high enough to support the K/transmission, then raise the car with the hoist/good chain. Then lower the car back on to it. Getting it out the top isn't bad though. Have some help.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
You're just replacing the block / heads, that's all you really need. That shit is irrelevant, just re-use everything from your current engine and get it working again - you don't need to spend money on anything that isn't broken.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well. I worked 0ut a deal n payment plan on that mark8 from chi town so hopefully it doesn't fall through and it will be home by the 1st, so I'm hoping with the 2 cars I can put them together n make one niiiiiice one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in