Overheating problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Overheating problem

95 LX, 4.6L, 242K miles, all stock.

Started overheating in heavy traffic and 95 degree weather a couple days ago. Never overheated before. Checked the service manual, have decided that it is the fan assembly. Fan doesn't run as often as I think it should: yeah it comes on above 104 degrees, but doesn't stay on. Sometimes if I strike the top of the shroud with my fist the fan will come on. Doesn't always run when the a/c compressor is running. I haven't done the pinpoint check of the high and low speed jump yet.

So anyway, expecting I'll be buying a replacement unit on rockauto. There's five different brands. Anybody replaced their radiator fan and shroud assembly lately and was either please or displeased with a particular manufacturer?

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:19 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Jim,

I know you were talking about replacing your water pump recently, did you ever do that? Just throwing it out there, not sure if it's related to this problem.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 PM
PostWhore

I bought a unit from NAPA for our old Cougar.

Keep in mind, this is not a plug and play. You will be drilling out the rivets on the old motor, and finding the right size bolts, nuts and lock washers to mount the new motor to the plastic "cage".

At least a gallon of coolant will have to come out to remove the top hose. Don't skimp on that, the height of the radiator hose relative to the engine is deceiving. I made a mess last time.

Good luck with it.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
It may be time to replace the radiator. How old is it? How many miles on it? I'd recommend replacing both the fan and the radiator and, while your at it, change the T-stat. Find a 170 degree T-stat and stick that in the car.

I just bought both from Rock Auto - the brand is TYC for both the radiator (TYC 1551) and the fan shroud (TYC 620950) - it was only $146.44 for both shipped to the house. TYC is the OEM for the Tbirds.

I'm taking them to Fluidyne tomorrow to have a custom radiator made. Rob says that they disassemble the core radiator and use the Trans cooling lines in their custom build. They also asked for the fan shroud so that they can confirm alignment or something like that ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-12-2018 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Good point Joe, I was wondering if there was a connection too, but I replaced the waterpump before going to the NJ show, and had to contend with stop 'n' go traffic to and from, so I'm ruling that out for now.

Thanks for the advice T6Rocket, I've got a veritable smorgasbord of nut and bolt hardware left over from a family fleet business, that'll be easy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM
PostWhore

Adding a colder than stock t-stat does nothing without a tune. Actually, it does make the car warm up slower which is bad for short trips. You'll never burn off the condensation.

I would look at the fan controller, wiring, etc. When we had a fan go bad, it didn't come on at all, and made crunching noises when you rotated the fan by hand. I think it smelled burnt too, but that was a long time ago. Spin the fan by hand and see what it sounds like before ordering parts.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Trunk Monkey - I think it was December 2015 when I installed a new radiator. On the road and don't have access to records right now. Thanks for the feedback on the TYC unit.

Al - Thanks, I'll do a little more diagnosing before placing the order.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Pulled the fan/shroud assembly to run some tests. Wires from top to bottom as connected to the fan are colored Black (BK), Dark Blue (DB), and Brown/Orange (BR/O).

Checked the resistance on the ground wire: 0.2 ohms.

Connected ground to terminal for BK and 12V to the terminal for BR/O: nothing. Smacked the shroud and the fan started.

Disconnected BR/O and connected 12V to DB: nothing. Wouldn’t kick start it either.

Schematics in Service Manual and EVTM are not consistent in which color wire does low speed and which does high speed. Most show DB from Pins 1 and 2 are low circuit (95 SM pages 3-03-6, 3-03-0, EVTM pages 33-1 and 33-6), one shows BR/O (SM page 121-00-16). CCRM in my '95 has DB wires from Pins 1 and 2. So motor connections are DB for low speed and BR/O for high speed? Terminals on fan motor from top to bottom as installed are Ground, Low, High?

Thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Replaced the fan/shroud assembly. Now the fan runs continuously with the a/c on, as it should. Car runs cooler, will see how it goes when the outdoor temp gets back up into the 90s again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in