Fluidyne Radiator Installation - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dusty

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Fluidyne Radiator Installation

I installed an 2003 Cobra Radiator back in 2005 according to the article with correction on flipping the brackets. I also run the Tru-Cool Max transmission cooler standalone. It was definitely an increase in cooling over stock being 2-row instead of 1-row.

I have noticed temperatures nearing 210° in traffic while running the A/C in mid-90° temps, other than that it runs about 190° on expressway driving.

As this is my daily driver do-all vehicle, I pull trailers sometimes and I pull a trailer that is about 2,500 lbs twice a year through the north Alabama mountains going to Talladega.

That is when I really need more cooling going up the mountains with moderate throttle temps jump from 195° to 215° and then cools right back down going down the mountain with no A/C on.

So, enter in the Fluidyne 97-04 Mustang 3-core which I have had sitting in my garage since last September when I picked it up at Summit in Ga, I was waiting for cooler weather since I did this in my driveway but no such luck - still upper 90's and Talladega is in 2 weeks so I put it in last weekend.

This thing is a beast and probably hold a gallon more coolant than the Cobra. Unbelievable tight fit, but it fit. On the driver's side I had to cut a corner out of my battery box and there is about 1/8 inch clearance with the brake lines.

The passenger side was worse, I had to remove the bracket holding the A/C lines and bend the lines as far as I could by hand not wanting to kink them or get a refrigerant leak. There was enough room but they touch the side of the radiator.

Then there is the drain port at the bottom of the radiator - no way it was going in with that. I had bought the sacrificial anode to replace it with anyway, but it still stuck out too much, so I cut a 1 inch hole in the metal near the bottom peg slot. Reinstalled the anode after the radiator was in and now it can be removed for draining with the radiator in the car.

First day driving seems to be much improved cooling. Temps were mid 90's and running the AC it never got to 190°, but no slow traffic. You can see the tanks are much smaller on the Cobra radiator.

See pics at link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/tAmo23

Keep in mind this is not the group purchase radiator.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-18-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for taking the time to write up this review and add pictures.

I'm looking forward to putting my own FLUIDYNE radiator in my car soon.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
No problem, that is what this site is about. I have learned a lot and shared over the years, not that many old timers still around. I have had my Bird for 20 years and have been on this site almost that long, back when it was Bird Cats. My user profile does not indicate that since I change my user name after a few years.

I am glad the site is still active, I had my doubts after Bill sold it.

I look forward to hearing how the Group Purchase Radiators work out, I would have been in had I not already had this one.

Glad you could arrange it, not too many group purchases any more. Many parts I got at the time are not available anymore as these cars are becoming rare. I see more at the bone yard than on the road anymore.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in