Front Vibration - advice? - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kidd-7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Front Vibration - advice?

Finally got my new tires. At about 74-80 the front end vibrates like it's going to fall apart. Steering wheel vibrates, dash bounces, it's bad. It seems to have to work up to the vibration, almost like something is resonating. I had a slight vibrate before (and I mean slight) but I attributed that to worn out or out of balance tires. I'm going to look at the tires, ball joints, etc up front, maybe rotate the tires to see if the vibration moves, check my U-joints.
Any other advice on what to look for?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:01 AM
PostWhore

Might have a bad tire. I would take it back for re-balancing, and re-torque the wheels afterwards to be sure they are torqued properly. Sometimes you have to double check wheel torque, etc.

What tires did you get, and which shop did they come from?

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 78k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 71k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If it is shaking the steering wheel, it is coming from one of the front wheels. Either the tires are not balanced properly, or one is defective, or you have a severely bent rim that nobody mentioned or noticed, or the wheels are not tight or not seated properly. I don't know about down there, but up by me it is unbelievable how people working at tire shops do not know how to balance a tire! I have gotten multiple new customers because they couldn't figure out a vibration after getting new tires and Firestone or Mr. Tire or whoever told them they need thousands of dollars in suspension work, and all they needed was the tires balanced properly!

A quick way to tell if the person doing the work had no clue what they were doing; look at the weights on any given wheel. If you have 2 weights in different locations on the same side of the wheel, then the wheels were balanced wrong.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I got the Cooper Cobras. They were installed by ten-ten Auto, I BS with the owner every time I stop in there. I really trust their work. I don't deal with big shops.
I recently had an ordeal with another local shop that went kind of like you mentioned MadMikey.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:10 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Vibration comes from spinning things, tires, rotors, driveline. Not ball joints bushings or alignment. Considering the vibration is worse immediately after you had new tires mounted, the culprit is pretty obvious. You can only trust results, I know great people who sometimes do subpar work.

-Matt
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Found it. There are some weights on the inside of the rim close to the face, just behind the spokes. On one of the wheels the weight is a little thick and was rubbing the caliper, obviously it wasn't an issue until you got to the high rotation speed of 75 mph. Thanks for the input. I did also find that there is a little slop on 1 of my inner tie rods, so another project.
Tbird Bob likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

The shop fixed the weight issue. I still have a vibration at about 80, it seems to be getting worse. I've done some reading and it seems I may have an issue with the driveshaft. I got a line on a MK8 driveshaft nearby, but also read some about the output shaft bushing. What is that actually called, can't find it on RockAuto? Can ya'll give me some advice? My 97 never shook. I drive the highway to work every day. Thanks.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM
5th Gear Poster

I believe that bushing you're referring to would be called the "extension housing bushing".

1996 Thunderbird LX (4.6), previous daily driver

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 PM

I had a vibration in my '90 Anny over 75...wasn't wheel balance, u-joints, diff bushings, motor/trans mounts or axles, and decided it might be the output shaft bushing in the AOD's tailshaft - seemed like the up/down movement was a bit excessive.

Talked to a shop that knows SCs and took it in to have the bushing done. They checked it and said that amount of play was normal. They eventually found a bit of play/roughness in the right front wheel bearing. I ended up replacing both (100k miles) and all was well for a couple years, when another vibration from the rear developed...fresh tires with more meat cured that problem. Smooth as silk at 80 these days.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:48 AM
4th Gear Poster

I chased a vibration on my 95 until finally fixed with new u-joints.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

4 bad tires....

I chased it for a while, then handed it back to the shop. They found 4 bad tires, got them replaced and balanced. Smooth as silk. We think they were stored improperly in the warehouse.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I was going to suggest that next. Glad they figured it out (and admitted to it).

I had a bad tire once years ago, and the shop guys knew it; it was a Uniroyal Tiger Paw and it wouldn't balance. They were putting weights on both sides of the rim trying to get it to balance (Balance and counter balance). The techs called the shop owner over and he looked at it - there were a lot of knowing glances exchanged - they finally got it "close" and said ok it's good to go and put it on the car. I was younger then and in hind sight should have never accepted the tire. I certainly know better now.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:34 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
4 bad tires....

I chased it for a while, then handed it back to the shop. They found 4 bad tires, got them replaced and balanced. Smooth as silk. We think they were stored improperly in the warehouse.
I've bought tires at Sams that couldn't be balanced, and were as you described.

I found out there are different grades; Tire Rack and Summit are grade A, from my experience.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd-7 View Post
4 bad tires.....
Ouch... Glad it's sorted out, thanks for the followup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in