Camber goes seriously negative when backing up..Normal or not? Please help! - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 392Bird
  • 2 Post By 392Bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Camber goes seriously negative when backing up..Normal or not? Please help!

Hello everyone. I noticed today that if I back into a park spot, then turn the car off and go around to the front of the car, looking at it dead on, you can tell that the tops of the tires are pointing inwards (negative camber). If I get back in the car, pull back out of the spot and drive forward a car length or so, then get back out, go look at the angle of the wheels, they are back to normal. (as far as how it looks). Camber looks ok.

I just had new tires put on (235-55-16 Kumho's). I don't have any pulling or any strange steering function or strange noises from the suspension. I do know I need to replace my junk engine mounts, and already have new solid rubber ones ready to go in. All of the suspension looks ok (tie rods, control arms, etc.). She rides smooth going down the road, and the factory struts still are in good shape.

Any idea if this is a problem or if this is normal for the MN12 tbird? I actually first noticed it when I was towing the car home after purchasing it (towing by the back wheels). The nose was pointed down and the camber had gone very negative while I watched it being towed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:06 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Upper Inner Control Arm Bushing.

Watch out for this issue: https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...-bushings.html

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Upper Inner Control Arm Bushing.

Watch out for this issue: https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...-bushings.html
Thank you for the quick reply. Are you saying that for my front suspension having this camber issue, you think it is the upper control arm bushings, and the link you posted should be checked out as well (it refers to the rear suspension)?

Just looking for clarification.

Thanks,

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 PM
PostWhore

Good to see you guys still providing good guidance to keep everyone safe.
Grog6 likes this.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Bird View Post
Good to see you guys still providing good guidance to keep everyone safe.
I deserve that. I read rear, somehow.

I'm sorry; Front Suspension parts are in This Sticky: https://forums.tccoa.com/44-suspensi...t-numbers.html

First, I'd crawl under it and look it all over, and use a prybar to see what moves.

Suspect parts are:

- Front Strut Rod Bushings

- Rear Strut Rod Bushings
(both on front suspension, see Sticky referenced above)

- Loose lower inner control arm bolts

- Worn or missing control arm bushings

- extremely worn lower ball joints

You can work all of these with a short prybar, on jackstands, and the wheels off.

Pretty much, if it moves, it's toast; everything is supposed to be pushed together with some force with No play, or connected by thick rubber.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 PM
PostWhore

That was meant as a complement, I miss read the earlier one also. LOL
MaddMartigan and Grog6 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in