V8 swap - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

V8 swap

I know the ideal scenario for swapping a SC to a 302 is to use the 302 setup from a 91-93 bird. While I was completely planning on doing this I ran across a deal I could not pass up on a 302 out of an 88 mustang GT. In the excitement of picking up the motor and getting it set on the engine stand to go over is when I truly understood how much harder I had made this swap on myself. The plan for the 302 swap is to go with a carburetor set up. I'm currently deciding whether I run the stock FI pump with a good fuel pressure regulator or possibly run a mechanical pump with timing cover provisioned for mechanical pump. Fuel delivery can be handled a few different ways but where I believe I am stuck is with the whole front engine accessory setup. I have everything from the fox mustang with the exception of the power steering pump. I still have all of the SC brackets and accessories too. I do not plan to utilize any smog or air conditioning once the swap is complete. Has anyone successfully adapted the SC accessories to a
302 without the original mn12 302 bracketry? If anyone has experiences or ideas they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it. I'd like to get a perspective other than my own at this point. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 03:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
SC accessories absolutely will not work with a 302. Best bet at this point would be to sell off the fox body parts and get a complete setup for a 94/95 5.0 Mustang, as that uses the same layout at the MN12. Also please don't do a carb swap on that. Carburetors on cars that had factory fuel injection is just plain hackery. Get a harness and ECM out of either a 5.0 MN12 or a 94/95 5.0 Mustang, and wire it up properly.
RalphP likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
SC accessories absolutely will not work with a 302. Best bet at this point would be to sell off the fox body parts and get a complete setup for a 94/95 5.0 Mustang, as that uses the same layout at the MN12. Also please don't do a carb swap on that. Carburetors on cars that had factory fuel injection is just plain hackery. Get a harness and ECM out of either a 5.0 MN12 or a 94/95 5.0 Mustang, and wire it up properly.
Also, from my dataset of 2 engines, the 302 is pretty well worn after 95K mi. Before you swap it in, you might consider tearing it down a bit and/or doing a bit of a refresh (ex: new bearings, new rings) or a more thorough rebuild if you want to spend the $$$.

If you have to swap oil pans (for example, that's another MN12 specific part),

Q: What year Fox Body?
Pre-91 oil pans might have fitment issues
https://forums.tccoa.com/8-engine-5-...tml#post948543

Q: is it a ho engine?
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for.../#post-8938355
If you are doing a bare block rebuild and plan to swap heads/cams/etc, a non HO might still be an OK block to start from. Otherwise, if you are just planning to drop it in, prepare for a little performance dissapointment.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 04:33 PM

Garage
If I am not mistaken the main difference in the accessories and pulleys is the mustang setup sits out much farther, therefore causing clearance issues with the fan and radiator. An electric fan setup may correct that issue for you. I have a 91 5.0 that I may look into changing to the mustang setup when I get my engine built. That's mostly due to wanting a custom setup and that is something you will not find for an MN12 chassis.

I'll second the cam, heads and intake idea. While I've had fun with my 5.0, it's not quick. 3.73 gears made it much better, but still not worth the swap in stock form. Headers are also an issue, but you can read up on that in the forums- lots of discussion and good info there.

One cheaper idea for heads and intake would be Explorer heads (GT40) and a cobra intake. You can find those pretty cheap. Decent cam, springs and timing chain, and you are close to 300HP with supporting throttle body and MAF.

Good luck!

Last edited by Zep5.0; Today at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in