Fuel pump options - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By theterminator93

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Fuel pump options

I didn't find anything obvious with a search, I was wondering what the consensus is for replacing the fuel pump on a 4.6 Thunderbird with something better than the stock pump. I plan on getting the heads done on my car along with other mods so I am assuming that a higher output fuel pump would be preferable.

As a example, looking online I came across this site -

https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1317...bird-4-6l.html

It has a couple different options for LPH and brands. The only name I've heard before is Walbro but the Quantum pump write-up seems to say that Walbro pumps are loud and not as advanced. I have no idea but the Honda I have been driving (while awaiting the Thunderbird's completion) just lost its fuel pump (will check to make sure) so I'm in the mood to get the Thunderbird's fuel pump swapped for a new one rather than get stuck on the side of the road (again). I wonder if anyone's tried out the Quantum pump.

So I guess I'm asking, what's the best choice in terms of LPH and brand for a 4.6 that will make around 300HP when it's finished (advice on injectors would also be welcomed)? And if there's a better source to buy from I'm all for that, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Your factory fuel pump IS a Walbro. Many horror stories with Walbro pumps, be it noise premature failure etc, might be that the market is flooded with Chinese fakes with real markings, you need to be careful who you buy these from since even legitimate venders have been hoodwinked by these. I have a 255lph(overkill) in my Cougar I bought through Summit and it’s quiet as a mouse. I recommend skipping the kits, none on that website are likely to fit a MN12 as the year ranges are totally wrong(85-97 covers a range between two totally different platforms with totally different fuel tanks), most likely they are ignorant to the platform change from the Fox to MN12 and simply list their kits to cover all “aero” Tbirds. Local parts stores carry the gasket and strainer and that’s really all you need outside the pump itself. I also had to buy a connector separately as well but the total cost was still less than the kits listed on that site.

190lph will be more than enough for your goals(stock is actually 70lph).

Spotting a Fake Walbro Fuel Pump
https://www.driven2automotive.com/bl...pumps-2017-18/
Grog6 and rampagingsloth like this.

-Matt
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I've had a 190 lph Walbro in my car for about 7 years now too, also as quiet as a mouse. No problems handling my modest build.
Grog6 likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 160k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 151k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 176k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
I just went through this about a year ago and we had a nice discussion on here about it. Attached in there is a graph I made of all the common sizes for us.

https://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-...fuel-pump.html

I think I ended up going with a Walbro 155lph. I'm still mostly stock and felt this was a gentle overkill. Its been super quiet and made a huge difference (stock ine was shot at 200k miles).

Trust me. I was almost a doctor once.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 AM

Take a look at this site: Fuel-Pumps.Net | Free Shipping and Expert Advice from Fuel-Pumps.net

Pretty much Walbro I think

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in