Airbag alarm sound ??? - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Airbag alarm sound ???

So, I buy this tight running 97 4.6 Thunderbird a few weeks back, and really like the car. Runs real strong. But like any other 20 year old car, it does have a few small bugs. One of which is that the yellow airbag warning light keeps flashing. So I come up with the easy fix. Just pull the bulb.
So I remove the dash panels around the gauge cluster and pull the bulb. Its a very easy process. I then put everything back together, thinking all well. Welp, not so.
Now when I start the car, a very loud alarm buzzes about 20 times. Its coming from behind the glove box. This is much more annoying them the flashing yellow light !
I now figure there must be a disconnect under there for whatever is making this horrible buzzing noise.
Do you mean to tell me the system knows when the bulb is out, and sends off an alarm instead?
I guess tomorrow I'll look around under there and try to determine where the alarm sound is coming from.
Anybody have any experience in this area ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Well it is a mandated safety feature and such things tend to have redundancy built in. If your bulb goes out, as incandescent bulbs inevitably will, and a fault occurs in the airbag system, it now can't be communicated to you the driver to diagnose and fix it. So yes, by design a noise will encourage you to fix the bulb which encourages you to fix the problem.

Fix the problem.
RalphP and CDsDontBurn like this.

-Matt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:19 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
BTW, if the airbag module is unplugged, there may be issues that could lead to the bags deploying when you plug the box back in and power it up.

To properly test the system, you need the correct airbag simulators, which is why my box and bags are still unplugged.

Also, if you ever hit something in the front, DO NOT stomp your foot; the safing sensor is in the drivers kickpanel, and kicking it while the front sensor is on will blow the bags.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I dont plan on ever plugging the box back in, so can you please tell me how to disable the system, alarm included.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:24 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I had to replace the module in mine last year because of the flashing light, pretty easy fix.

I would pull the module out and open it up to see what it looks like.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway pirate View Post
I dont plan on ever plugging the box back in, so can you please tell me how to disable the system, alarm included.
Advice removed because it's illegal in a lot of places.

I would fix it right, and not disable a safety system, myself. I'm still working on one, but it's not being driven right now.

The flashing light is flashing a code; post it up, and we can figure out what the problem is with a simple search.

Typing This simple search into the google finds the list:

airbag codes ford thunderbird site tccoa.com

https://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-t...bag-codes.html

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 05-10-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks a lot Grog, but I just beat you to it. I just came in from doing what you said, and all is well. No more alarm buzz. Thank you anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
BTW, it's illegal in many states to sell a car with disabled airbags.

Disabling the light is against federal law.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

OK. My 95 has the flashing airbag light problem too. The code is for the clockspring which is not available anywhere. Currently the fix is a piece of silicone tape over the window in front of the annoying flashing light. Where do you go when parts are not available?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderbirdLX View Post
OK. My 95 has the flashing airbag light problem too. The code is for the clockspring which is not available anywhere. Currently the fix is a piece of silicone tape over the window in front of the annoying flashing light. Where do you go when parts are not available?
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...g-f7az14a664ba

The basic clock spring fits multiple applications, gen 2 and 3 Taurus, SN95 Mustangs, 90s Crown Vic’s etc. use the same clockspring(and steering column as a whole)I source these things from Junkyards if I can’t find new, clocksprings don’t tend to fail unless the airbag went off or the wheel was turned while disconnected from the steering rack during replacement of it or the rag joint.

-Matt
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Poster

Thanks! It's the same basic part number that I get out of my service manual. Don't know why I couldn't get it to come up in any of my searches.
Think this is a corrosion problem. Cool damp days I'd get the airbag warning light. If I shut the car off and restarted it the light would usually go out. This would usually be on the first start of the day. Hot dry days it was less of a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in