Clunking in my brain.... - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Clunking in my brain....

We had our first few days of summer proper down here in South Texas, with the daytime high over 100 and humid as hell to boot... but at least that KKS radiator kept the car cool with the A/C running eh? Now that there's a break in the heat I'm looking at tackling some of these issues.

Open to advice here ('97 T-Bird):

-- Stomped on the brakes, no ABS came on... not equipped or not working?
-- No window squirters (still), control works but I'm guessing pump isn't
-- Cruise control doesn't seem to be working at all

And finally, one thing that I'm curious about:

If "launching" or cornering too hard (ok, when kicking the tail out leaving a lot or the like), my Brake (!) indicator comes on for a second or two, or until it shifts whichever comes first.... Is this the same as the '95 Cougar I used to have regarding the oil light due to oil sloshing about in the sub-par oil pan, or is this something drivetrain related? Oil light works but has never come on when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I should also add that my rear brakes feel a tad spongy, like they take too long to get to squeezing when I hit the pedal.... is this normal on rear disk brake equipped cars or should I start thinking about replacing the master and possibly a bias valve?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I would bleed the system, and replace all the fluid with fresh first.

Don't let the reservoir get empty, bleeding the ABS is tricky.

I rig a siphon to a big bottle of fluid, and open the bleeders, and let it flow for a while, until fresh fluid comes out.

You go most distant to least distant, RR, LR, RF, LF.

THen get someone to help you bleed it, and see how it is.

Check the two residual pressure valves under the LF plastic wheelwell, and see if they're leaking, or if the rear won't bleed.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:40 PM
PostWhore

You might not have ABS on a '97, I don't. They are the least optioned year of MN-12's.

Cruise can usually be fixed by bypassing the brake light switch on the brake pedal. I have had success on two Fords doing that. Basically, you connect the two wires together before the connector with a snap-lok connector. Sounds crude, but everything works as it should afterwards.

Al
Woodman likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
You might not have ABS on a '97, I don't. They are the least optioned year of MN-12's.
Well I haven't gotten into it yet, probably going to check this weekend, but if it in fact doesn't have ABS that'll make doing an adjustable brake bias both easier and more important (because 70/30 sucks).

Regarding cruise, I've noticed that there are two switches on the brake pedal when I was reinstalling my steering shaft... which switch are you suggesting bypassing? Know of any way to test the cruise system?

Grog,

Fortunately I've not noticed any leaking fluid during the time I was under the car (I had removed the front bumper to replace the header panel during the rebuild) but unless I'm mistaking it for water streaks, it does look like at some point the master may have leaked a small bit down the booster at some point in time... which would usually mean rear going out. The stain has been dry since I've owned the car, but I'll have a closer look today since it's not murder outside.

Appreciate the suggestions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:02 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Your door tag should list if it's got abs, iirc.

The seals in the residual pressure valves have been giving some people problems with their rear brakes.

The master, if it leaks, will put brake fluid into the booster, killing it in a short time; then you notice it won't idle with your foot on the brake, from the vacuum leak.

I'd bleed it, and make sure all the fluid is new, then troubleshoot from there.

The stuff that comes out will be milky at the least, and could look like coffee, at the worst.

See what the reservoir looks like.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in