trunk mounted battery - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up trunk mounted battery

I'd like to share with you the most recent modification I did to my 97 Tbird. I relocated that heavy battery into the trunk. I figured that with all that extra weight in front of the wheels, along with the weight of the big V8, transferring some of that weight into the trunk may improve your ride.
The job is quite simple. You can even reuse the stock battery tray, just cut off the extended mount arm on the bottom. I drilled a hole thru the fire wall, ran the cable thru there then under the plastic door kick panel, under the back seat, then into the trunk. I mounted the tray close to the back of the rear seat framework with some heavy duty self threading screws. Get some new battery clamps, fasten your cables, grounding your negative to something metal in the trunk. Presto, trunk mounted battery. And it cost me under $50 for everything.
All you need is 14 feet of battery cable ( I got mine at O'Reilys ) new battery posts, some black tape to splice the cable to the existing positive cable in the engine bay, and two heavier self threading screws to mount the tray. A few hour of your time, then presto, trunk mounted battery.
Theres also the "cool" factor. It looks quite interesting when you open the hood and see all the extra room where that big bulky battery once was. The same goes for when you open your trunk and see the battery mounted there. Just do the job neatly. Something to consider...… I really like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Mine cost $20 https://forums.tccoa.com/1916954-post608.html

Bear in mind however if you ever take it to a drag strip there’s a solid chance you’ll fail tech inspection with that setup and not be able to run. They want an external cutoff and box(or firewall) at a minimum, and technically the cutoff should kill the alternator as well.

NHRA rules aside (didn’t stop me, though I will be making it legal for the upcoming Midwest bash) I don’t know what battery you’re using but if it’s the regular lead/acid type you really should have it in a sealed box vented outside the car rather than open in the cabin.

-Matt
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
your kidding me right. Take a 97 thunderbird to the drag strip. My 97 is what Deep Purple would call a " Highway Star". Get the message ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:07 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
There's a couple in the 10's:

10.878 @ 132.06 - 04/2017 - Bulldog - 97 Tbird 4.6 2v/2.3L TVS @ 21lbs boost on E85

I have a blower for my C heads, but it'll be in a 96 I think.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in