TCCoA Forums banner

Fuel delivery

4K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  bulldog 
#1 ·
Has anyone done anything new with fuel tanks lately? I'm currently debating a switch to a fuel cell or the addition of a surge tank.

At the moment I'm running dual 450s in tank ( one full time and the second via hobbs switch. But they are a royal pain in the ass to get in and out not to mention having to keep half a tank of fuel to launch the car safely. Any ideas guys?

#2 ·
I'm debating a cell on my build. Biggest factor against for me is the smell and vapors. I'd like to still run the fill tube to eliminate this issue, but not sure there is enough drop to the fuel cell without it scraping on the ground. I think transferring the weight back would be great.

The other benefits of is you could run subframe connectors to the IRS frame and put mufflers in front of the rear.

Horsepower TV did a Tbird years back and did a sweet subframe. Looked very functional and game much more room for exhaust.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know people have put them in the spare tire well, but if its in the trunk I believe you have to install a divider behind the rear seat. I'm sure you could figure out a way to get the fill tube into the trunk (possibly through the side of the spare tire well?

The main thing deterring me is the ******* intercooler tank that I have in there right now.

Why so much fuel? I'm only running one FORE 405 pump.

What size injectors are you running?
To make power Ron!!! I think you are probably getting close to the limits of a single 405.

ID 1000

#5 ·
Probably, yeah. Rob did say that if I wanted to put a bigger blower on the engine I'd have to completely upgrade the fuel system. He also noted, while we were tuning the new build, that I'm also almost out of MAF sensor capacity. I've maxed out the Lightning 90mm sensor! LOL

Anyway, looking forward to following your build out. Have you put the FLUIDYNE radiator in yet?

#6 ·
If you're maxing out a LMAF its getting really close to 500 and that's ******* awesome!!

I actually haven't driven the car in a long time, but I'm ready to start messing with it again I think. I haven't messed with the radiator install yet.

Have you installed yours?

#7 ·
Yea, I've got it in the car. It's just what I needed for the big block. Really keeps the temps in check. I may take it to the DYNO this fall to get some numbers on it.

Get back at it! I want to see your car run. You've still got to make one of our fall meet ups at Rockingham or Fayetteville. I'd love to line the car up with yours.

#9 ·
I kept the stock fan for the radiator. It works well enough.

I think OxmanWI, you and I are it on the LX side. There are several SC's that are tearing it up.

Rob was working on a build but I have no idea where he's at with it. He was going to build the same block I have, put lower compression pistons in it and slap a monster SC on top of it. He'll probably make over a thousand HP with it when he's done.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
#12 ·
Thanks for remembering me, Trunk! I’m making 540 RWHP with a single 340 LPH pump plus a KB Boost-a-Pump and 60 Lb injectors. I’m also using the stock fan (modified to clear the Tork Tech setup) and a Griffin two-row radiator.

#14 ·
Nice Mike!!

How did you modify the fan? would you mind showing pictures? When I work on the car next I will be installing the fluidyne unit and I'm also trying to clear the torktech pulleys.

Are you still running the stock tank? That's my next area of concern, my current system is a modified stock hat powering two pumps individually ( E85 and 22psi or so) no clue on power.

On another note I'm trying to coordinate with trunk monkey for a track weekend this fall, if you could make it that would be pretty sweet.

#15 ·
bulldog,

The fan modification was simple: I just trimmed 3/4" off the "box" portion of the shroud, which allowed moving the motor away from the front of the engine. The fit is still REALLY tight between the back of the fan motor and the 8-rib pulley which attaches to the front of the vibration dampener, but they do clear. I put some strips of closed cell foam between the radiator and the forward edges of the shroud to prevent air recirculation.

Yes, my car has the stock tank.

I'm looking forward to the Midwest Bash which will include drag racing. If another event comes together, I would be interested!

#17 ·
Yes, I have the TVS2300 blower from VMP. I’m running the 3.2” diameter pulley at present, and making 13 lbs of boost. I tried their 2.8” pulley, which made 16 psi, but the ignition didn’t seem to be able to handle that much boost. I’ve got a 3.0” pulley to try sometime later this year. My goal is to get the car into the 10’s, which of course will be way under 11.49 and I expect to get booted from the track if/when it happens.

#19 ·
The car was tuned with 93 octane fuel. The plugs are NGK TR6s gapped at 0.026”, and I do have a Boost-A-Spark. With the forged internals, the engine should be safe to 7000 rpm, but it is set to shift at 6500 because the power peak is at about 6200 rpm.

#21 ·
That is my assumption. The B-A-S was not turned up all the way when the car was on the dyno at Walsh Motorsports, but it was when I later drove the car on the road. At WOT, there was a "coarseness" to the feel of the engine that seemed like an ignition issue. My setup has COP with a conversion harness, and seems to work well, at least at 13 psi boost.

#26 · (Edited)
After things didn't go well with the 2.8" diameter blower pulley, I bought a 3.0" pulley. Put it on this morning and drove the car around my area. I checked the AFR during a brief WOT, and it was in the 11.5-12.0 range. The boost gauge showed 14 psi (although I didn't run all the way to max rpm), so it was making about 1 psi more than the 3.2" pulley I've been running. There was none of the "coarseness" I have attributed to ignition limitations - the car just pulled hard. I am a little concerned about belt slip, since the 54.5" belt which worked great with the 3.2" pulley isn't very tight on the 3.0". Tried the next size down Gates belt, which is 53.7", and it wouldn't go on. After looking online, I ordered a Continental belt which is 54.0" and hopefully will work better. Anyway, I made an appointment with Walsh for more chassis dyno tuning in early September.

#27 ·
Awesome man!! that 5.0 is eating boost, I feel like I made 14 psi on the 3.2 but don't remember. There are gates belts for every size you just have to look at the chart. Are you running the stock tensioner? if so you may want to hit up Charles at magnum powers for a billet unit. keep me posted on the tuning results.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.