air silencer removal - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to projectmayhem021
air silencer removal

ive read the mn12performance how to, im just wondering when you remove it, do you have to put anything in its place (tubes ect) also it is the thing that is directly below the air box, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 05:35 PM

Exclamation

If you pull the silencer then you need to replace the three screws that are on the silencer because that is what holds the air box in. Be sure that you check you air filter more ofen also because the dirt build-up is accelerated after you do this. You should be able to goto Lowe's (Jimmy Johnson RULEZ) or Home Depot (Tony Stewart DROOLZ) with the silencer and get sombody to help you find the screws that you would need and to fender washers to go along with that. Then you are good to go. There are after market "cold air" systems but you really won't see any improvement over the gaping intake you will have after you remove the intake.

Happy Removal
Thundercat
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 06:30 PM

Yea, it's the thing directly below the airbox. Looks like this:

It's not really that hard to do, I mean I did it!

Good luck, and it sounds really good once you get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 06:45 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Alex
Also, you don't need to worry about securing the airbox since there's pretty much no place for it to go. Second, if you're worried about dust, go with a K&N panel filter.

1991 Mercury Cougar LS (Dead)
1989 Ford Probe LX (Dead)
1989 Ford Taurus SHO (Sold)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Dead)
1994 Ford Taurus SHO (Weekend Cruiser)
1999 Honda Accord EX (Daily Driver)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:53 AM

hey this is what i did....K & N panel filter, remover air silencer (big difference in sound and could feel small power gain) and then go to home depot and buy the 3"(i think 3") black drainage pipe and rig it into ur airbox hole....run it to the fender and u have the homemade ram air. i felt a big power gain at high RPMs
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok so do i have to get that drainage pipe or is that only if i want home made ramair, i want to remove it and see how much i gain does the air silencer connect to any thig, other than the air box? Can i just remove the air box from under the hood instead of going thru the splash gard? (removing the air box first)

thanks for the help
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 02:01 PM

Well, to get the air silencer out, you have to go through the splashguard. Technically, you do not have to remove the air box, only take the top off and the filter out to get at the bolts that hold the air silencer in tact.

You only need the drainage pipe if you want a homemade ram air system.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Why replace the bolts.

When I removed the Air silencer from my 95 LX 4.6, I re-used the original three bolts that hold the bottom half of the air box in place. I removed the plastic pipe in front of the air silencer, plus the air silencer piece itself. I left the plastic piece that works with the three bolts. If I can, I will snap a picture later today of what I removed.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 02:40 PM
Amp
Smoothmeister K

How much HP does removing the air silencer increase? (W/O the homemade ram air)

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Midwest Thundercats
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:12 PM

I removed the whole bottom on my 95. All 3 pieces. I just bought the parts for my ram air though. Cost me 8 bucks. I have it all put together, im just waiting for my dad to go out of town and a kn panel. Also, I never put those three bolts back on the bottom, My airbox feels solid and it doesn't move. Should I put those back on? Also, they look different on almost every year. Mine looked nothin like the one posted on this post.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

actually on second thought i think i might try the ram air can you tell me what you did, where did you run the hose after you connected it to the airbox?

-Brendan

"So far, this is the oldest I've been"-George Carlin

1994 Black Thunderbird SC
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 04:30 PM

Smile I went to the hardware store.....

and bought a 3'' to 4'' rubber connector that had hose clamps on it. Then I bought a 4'' pipe that curves 90 degrees. Cost me about $10 bucks. Went home and put it all together. The silencer part that I used was a very tight fit for the rubber connector but it does fit.
:p
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Amp
I felt no gain at all, and I installed a K&N panel filter. Tried a cone, felt a LOSS of power, so I switched back. The gain is that you can HEAR your engine when you give it gas. at idle/cruising it is no louder than stock.

I've heard it effects exhaust tone, but I doubt it.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Here is a photo of what I removed from my 95 LX 4.6 air intake system

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 09:16 PM

I didn't really feel a change in performance, but the intake sound made it a worthwhile mod. I also didn't feel a need to bolt the airbox back in, but just in case I added a single bolt in there that I got from the local hardware place. You can bolt it from the top of the air box and it should only cost like $1 for a bolt and screw.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
I don't know about you guys, but I don't understand why everyone says you have to change out the bolts. I didn't, I'm still using the stock bolts.

Here's how they work. Its just one long bolt through a rubber block. On each end are nuts. One nut on each holds on the air silencer while the other holds the airbox into the car. When you unbolt the air silencer from the airbox and pull it out of the car, takea close look at the bolts around the blocks of rubber and you'll see what I mean. Its quite simple really, and seems to be less of a PIA to me than trying to find a set of nuts and bolts that will easily fit the stock bolt holes. Just use the stock bolts!

EDIT: But this was done on a 95 4.6 bird. After looking at the air silencer for that 91 5.0 bird, I can understand needing to change the bolts. And I think I might actually try doing the home made ram air and seeing what it'll do for me.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:27 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Tim Groth Send a message via Yahoo to Tim Groth
NO Hp gains from doing this...

I think Greenbird summed it up when he replyed to Amp. When I first did mine I was like I can hear it sucking in the air....=/... It's a mind game. It sounds way better but as for improvement in HP it's as good as putting in Super Plus in at the pump!

Now to a question: Since my 3.8 doesn't have a MAF if I put a 9" cone on or ram air would it even help me? My car doesn't use a MAF to regualte air flow so what would be the gain?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amp
Nothing noticeable at all, espically at lower RPM's. You *MIGHT* gain a tiny bit, if hell froze over, at the midrange since the air you're pulling is a tiny bit colder than the engine air, but nothing that a dyno could accurately measure. It's all for sound, IMO. In the mid-upper rpms, I can now hear my engine.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I did it this morning, very easy the hardest part was pulling it thru the splash gard
it sounds great!
thanks for the help

-Brendan

"So far, this is the oldest I've been"-George Carlin

1994 Black Thunderbird SC
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up Yeah I know...

I saw it on your website. Thanks ShadowDragon.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:01 PM

mmh... I'm hardly the guy to be taking advice from, but when I took my air silencer out, the bolts were attached to the silencer, and since I didnt have anything that would fit the holes nicely, I just used 3 cable ties and zip zip zip...then trimmed them.. and voila... done... for what it's worth, haven't had a problem with it yet..
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:44 PM

my bolts are attached to the silencer so i also used the zip ties
hehe

just goes along with the red tubes under my hood
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HanMan
I removed the whole bottom on my 95. All 3 pieces. I just bought the parts for my ram air though. Cost me 8 bucks. I have it all put together, im just waiting for my dad to go out of town and a kn panel. Also, I never put those three bolts back on the bottom, My airbox feels solid and it doesn't move. Should I put those back on? Also, they look different on almost every year. Mine looked nothin like the one posted on this post.
*3* pieces? Hrmm. Guess somebody removed my silencer before I got my car, then...All that was under my airbox was the one little plastic bit with the double-edged, rubbered-up bolts. I took it out anyway...gets a bit more of a hiss at WOT now, but no change otherwise..not that I mind a little more noise..

So, question: Anyone happen to sell/trade-in a dark green, single-owner '95 Cougar V8 w/ about 49k miles, in Illinois anytime between, say, Aug. and Nov. 2001?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:54 PM

Yup, that's 3 pieces...

My car only came with the piece on the left.
My 1-2 shift is rock-hard, too, which (to my growing understanding) isn't quite normal either...

Is there any reason why the other two pieces of the silencer would be missing, OTHER than someone taking them out intentionally?

I wonder what other mods might've been made to my car without my knowing (or the dealership remarking upon)..?

Curious, curious...
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 02:55 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowDragon
Yeah, here's the three pieces to the 94+ air silencer.

I left the piece the the left on. you eliminate the restriction, and the bolts that hold on the airbox still fit perfect.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Automatic Weapon

Shadow's probably right

My transmission always shifted extremely hard. Then I did the J-mod and found out my 1-2 accumalator was broken into 3 pieces.
The J-mod accually calmed down my 1-2 shift with the new springs, which is nice.

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by projectmayhem021
I did it this morning, very easy the hardest part was pulling it thru the splash gard
it sounds great!
thanks for the help
yea, that BS about pulling the wheel and stuff off. wrong. i yanked it armed with only a screw driver while the car was still on all fours.

good to know it went smooth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in