Best way to cut plexiglass for heatsheild? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Best way to cut plexiglass for heatsheild?

I got a 9" cone filter and a sheet of plexiglass to make a heatsheild for it. How should I cut it? It is only like 1/8" thick. I am trying to make it similar to AndyR's setup. He did a great job on his! Anyone have the dimensions of it?

Oh and 1 more question, can you screw into plexiglass? or drill into it?

Here is what Andy's lookd like:

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:55 PM
4th Gear Poster

Ive got a template to one that I was going to make but its not the square one like the on ein the pictures. I was going to make something like the GT airbox. If you heat plexiglass just right you can bend it farely easly and will still be clear. Ill try to scan the template and post it if you would like me 2.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
www.spinningwheels-sc.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
That would be great if you could do that!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
The Parts Guy

I've always used a tablesaw or bandsaw to cut plexiglass with. You can definitely drill through plexiglass as well.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:23 PM

If you have a router get a bit with a roller guide.

Use thick double faced tape to attach your template to the masked plexiglass, (would Lexan be better?)

Use gloves and always move the material toward the rotation of the router bit.

Use the router to cut the material to shape.

Seperate the masking from the template.

If your going to bend:

Get a linear heating element longer than your material.

Remove the masking from the area of the bend.

Carefully heat while holding the plastic under light tension to determine when it is warm enough to bend. Too cold = cracks. Too hot = burning/discoloration.

Once warm enough make your bend. Have something to measure the angle available since you only have a few seconds to bend.

After bending but before removing the rest of the masking measure and pre-drill any holes required for screws.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

You don't want to screw right into it..you'll want to drill a pilot hole about 1/16th of inch smaller then your screw size. It loos as though Andy drilled the holes the same size, and used machine screws and a nut, which is better if your going to be taking it on and off, as it won't strip the screws.

You don't need a shield if you put the filter in the fender.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 PM

For cuting i would recomend making a line with a pen on the paper thing that protects the finish on the plexi, and the passing over it with an exacto knife. The pu it in a bench vise, and hit the piece you want to keep, it should break of, and give you a better looking cut than cutting it with a saw or router, or anything else. Now if you want the sides to be shiny, heat them up with a torch, for very short times. Heat, look at it, then heat again, until it's just like you want it. If you heat it too much, it will sag, change color, and make bubbles. My dad told that was the best way of doing plexi, he learned that a bomberdier finishing center for private jets. It's the technic they use to make 30 million dollar interiors for the jets, so it must be nice looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in