Steering squeal... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Steering squeal...

At low speeds, when I turn my steering wheel there's a severely harsh squealing sound. It sounds like it's coming from the wheels and not the steering column. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it - it's a squeal, but it sounds like metal or something. Very harsh sounding - just started in the last couple days. Doesn't affect the steering - it's just a noise. And it only does it in city speeds...diminishes as I get faster.

It's gotten very cold here lately - that may have something to do with it? My suspension gets really creaky in the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Geek w/Gearhead Complex

Could be the power steering pump goin -- do the stupids and check the fluid levels. I think KrazyT had a problem like that in his 4.6 just a while back, makin all sorts of strange noises.

96 Mark VIII [email protected] :: 03 radiator/fan - j-modded trans - BBK UD pulley kit - dual gauge pod - 28,000 B&M transcooler (w/ AN fits) - 3.73 locker (with speedo gear) - 180' thermo - 8.5mm wires - colder plugs
soon to install : "fixed" heads and a damn tune. Project snaked8 continues...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Could also be the outer tie rods making the noise.

Try and get some grease in there

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 09:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
if its not the tierods, then flush the power steering rack with some new merconV fluid as per the tccoa tech articles.

That worked for me in my 95.

JH
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've got steering noise at slow speed on my '95. At first I thought it was the tires squeeking on the pavement, but no, it's coming from the pump. The Ford tech explained to me that the mechanicals in the pump wear and when the reach a certain wear level they make noise. It's fairly common.

He explained that the pump was working, just making noise. I'm gonna live with it for a couple of weeks, then swap in a new pump....

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 12:31 AM

I was just about to post a similar to this problem. Mine does the same thing. Monday morning im going to flush the power steering fluid and grease up the joints really good. My grease boots are busted so im not sure if thats the culprit or not. Ill post the results tomarrow.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:54 PM

Well, I got the power steering fluid flushed. It looked like chocolate syrup. I greased up all the joints but it didnt really work. It almost sounds like its coming from my shocks or springs. Not sure yet though. However I did discover where all my coolant is going. My damn water pump is going out. Coolant is coming out of the weap hole under it. Im going to replace it tomarrow along with my thermostat. Sometimes I dont think my car loves me as much as I love it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
I suffered the same harsh noise in my 93 3.8 and in my 97 4.6.....both times it was the upper and lower control arms......bushings were worn out......replace them all and all was like new....no noise what so ever.......it could very well still be your pump, but also check into your suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in