I blew my $%*#@ intake!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
AnimeWhore

Send a message via AIM to otakujohn
I blew my $%*#@ intake!!!

I was headed down to southern VT to spend Christmas with my family today, but sadly I didn't make it. I had just gotten gas in Williston and was about to get on the interstate when started smelling antifreeze. My first thought was that I had blown the intake, and sure enough, I was right.
When I pulled back into the gas station to assess the damage, I found that the intake was blown under the metal bracket behind the alernator, and it was spraying coolant all over the alternator (and pretty much everything else). I also noticed that I had either coolant or condensation from all the steam dripping into the passenger compartment from somewhere under the glovebox....hope I didn't grenade the heater core too.
I did manage to get the car back to my apartment in Winooski without having to call for a tow, but now I'm pretty much screwed. My Cirrus is also dead...I blew the tranny in that all over the road a while ago, and it's still sitting in the shop waiting to be fixed. It would have been fixed and on the road a while ago if I hadn't lost my job at IBM. >:-[ stupid economy.....grrrr
Well, now I need to know how much it's gonna set me back to get this fixed. Any indeas?
I'm really quite upset. ;_;

Last edited by otakujohn; 12-24-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I've got an updated intake sitting in my carport. I could be up there Friday....Check your PMs.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
AnimeWhore

Matt is the MAN!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:43 PM

Otakujohn, I was just mentioning to a friend at work about your intake. He's got a 'Stang with a 4.6. He says that there is a recall at least on the Mustangs and possibly other cars using the 4.6 too. Anybody know if that's the case?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

There is a recall, but it's only for 7 years from when the dealer sold it. Also, with my intake, we should be able to do it in an afternoon and for under $100. Sometimes you are willing to pay more to get it done sooner. Besides, me and John need a reason to meet, we are the entire Vermont chapter.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:10 PM

If your car was *first* sold *after* Dec 24, 1996, the intake will be replaced for free. I didn't purchase my '96 new until May of 1997, so I'm still covered for a little while, ('already replaced once).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
AnimeWhore

yeah, I think I'm a little too late for the recall.
I had been giving the intake manifold the evil-eye for quite a while wondering when it would decide to rape me. It figures that it would finally happen at the worst possible time.
I really didn't even want to drive my bird in this white crap...it has already taken a real beating. I'm missing paint on BOTH my bumpers and winter is just getting started.
I'm going to do all that I can to make sure that my original plan to mod the hell out of the car and get it repainted this coming summer reaches fruition. I swear, I will get a forged and supercharged 4.6 in there if it's the last thing I do.
I just need to find some decent employment first.

Greenbird: you've got a PM or two.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 01:53 PM

Friends & sharing is what life is all about

Remember the Homeless and Less Fortunate in our World
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
AnimeWhore

The Alternator Brace and all the gaskets are going to be ready for me to pick up tomorrow morning. One thing bugs me though, and I thought I'd stick it out here on the public forum to see if anyone knows what the story is.
The dealership said they couldn't get the Alternator Insulator (part # XL1U-10329-BA) because that part had been replaced with the whole alternator. I don't really feel like spending tons of cash on a new alternator right now, is not having this part going to cause problems putting the new manifold in?

update: greenbird says we can get by without it. I'm glad it's not a big deal.

Last edited by otakujohn; 12-26-2003 at 11:19 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 04:42 PM

I have a '96 4.6 and mine blew this past May. I missed the recall by 3 months! The new ones are aluminum right behind the alternator where the old ones are all plastic. I got the whole thing replace by a local shop for $220.00 including labor and a Ford warranty on the intake for 1 year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in