Looking to purchase a Mark VIII, I have a couple Qs... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Looking to purchase a Mark VIII, I have a couple Qs...

I was looking at a 95 Mark VIII, dark blue ext. with gray int. It was visually in pretty good shape except for a couple minor things but it does have some problems I wanted to find out more about before I seal the deal. First, door ajar is stuck on - the guy told me he tried to fix it but no luck, he said the only time it ever goes off is when he drives the car to Atlanta (I live in New Orleans) or when it is really humid in the morning when he first starts the car??? Second the fan seems like it might go out soon since it doesn't seem to push a lot of air and makes a whining noise when running - is this the same fan as Tbirds or is it different? Third the tach doesn't move unless you pat the dash with some force - it jumps to the RPM you're at when you pat and stays there, no up or down movement - it just gets stuck at that RPM until you pat again. Does that sound like a loose connection or a bad tach that would require replacing the gauge cluster or just cleaning a connection? Fourth, I have experiance fixing almost everything on a Tbird bumper to bumper and stripping them down to nothing. The interior and engine compartment of the Mark VIII looks more complex and secretive with all those covers - are they really much tougher to work on and more expensive to fix or does it just appear that way? And last but not least, the car was driven by the old guys wife from 30K to the 87K its at now and they're asking $4K firm. Is $4K a good price for a fair/good condition car overall with the previously mentioned problems with 87K on it? How many miles should I expect out of the car before it starts falling apart you think - I plan on taking real good care of it but from my experiance most Ford cars aren't made to last much more than 110-120K...tell me what you think, all input is greatly appreciated, thankyou for your time.

PS I tried searches on these topics but really came up empty handed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

yor mistaken on the milage, ford cars can well over 200,000 k , the door ajar switch is bad, need to pull the door apart to change , its on the latch, its like 12 bucks, the cluster may be a little more complex , and personally dont have much experinece with the marks, the fan is different than the tbird, and more than likely it is going bad.and that is a good price from what i have seen those cars going for.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Jedi Master

get him to lower the price cause that is too much for that condition, I have seen a few 93-95s mark VIIIs for about 3200-3800 in better condition.

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 09:19 PM

spary some wd-40 in the door latch and that will take care of your door ajar light guaranteed. as far as the tach goes it seems to be a common problem with the marks. It's either sticking on the face of the guage or the tach is just bad and requires replacement. I had that problem with mine and when I put custom gauges in, it fixed itself. I'm not sure about the fan. It seems like a decent price. These cars will drive forever when taken care of. You can check www.mark8.org for a ton of info on these cars. They will have an answer to ANY question you have about these cars. Oh yeah, my mark is for sale also but it's more expensive. Let me know if you're interested in the details. Also hope to see you on the mark 8 website as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in