Apten Chip, 02 GT MAF 14 77.78%
KYB Shocks, Suspension Technique Springs 2 11.11%
Clear Corners, V8 Badges, Dash Kit, ect....... 1 5.56%
Something else 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Chip and 02 GT MAF or Lowering Springs and Shocks?

What should I do? I don't have enougth money for both.

1997 Ford Thunderbird, Built NA 2V/ T-45
1997 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0L
2003 Lincoln LS V8 Bolt Ons
2009 Yamaha VMax
2011 F-150 Lariat Limited 6.2L 4WD
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack, Recaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Do you want it to run better, or do you want it to look like it runs better????

I know what I'd do...

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

Wake that sled up! get the chip & maf.

Wrecked...will be parting out soon 97 thunderbird 02GT 4.6 Bullitt Intake
Kook's true dual 02 4r70w trans completely rebuilt to jerrys specs
cstm D/S 373's 11/4 bars F&R 3800lbs
240rwhp/282tq ET:14.00
"Luck happens when opportunity meets preparation"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 08:33 AM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Is your suspension toast? If so, you would be better served to get the springs & shocks. When I first got the chip, it was nice, but not like you're putting down another 50hp. If your suspension is wasted, you'll be happy with the s & s every time you take a corner or curve. When I started 5 years ago, I took a scientific (yeah, right) approach to strengthen the chassis and suspension first before adding power. The MAN agrees - he's posted here saying as much. Chassis first, then power.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer
Chassis first, then power.
I totally agree. I put new shocks, sway bar, poly bushings front a rear before I added any serious power, and now that I am adding more I am beefing up the springs and going to bigger bars.

However it was the Chip and MAF combination I did early on with nothing more that pulleys and exhaust that made the car responsive and fun to drive, even though cornering was a bit sloppy. A chip and MAF doesn't as much add power as it makes what your engine and trans already have work better. My shocks were shot, but I really didn't know it, 'cause the car still felt pretty good to drive...

By all means if your suspension is shot... if it shimmies and sways and corners like crap, take care of it first... It's the safe thing to do.... and it will give you a better feeling about the car when you drive it...

But if you're ok with the way it handles now, and if you'd like the car to do something when you come around a corner and step on the gas, go for the MAF and chip..

I just checked the results of the poll and most are recommending clear corners, guages, etc. That's Bling Bling... or "wood" as they call it here. I've got a bit of that too, but that was and is my last priority....

It really depends on what you are looking for, improved: handling, looks or engine/drivetrain performance...

96 GoldBird

N/A:

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I decided to go withe the sprigs/shocks. besied I really want to make my car better all around, I want to do a brake uprgrade, Sway Bars, the Chip/Maf, TC, Gears, heads, cams. But for now the susoension is really what I want.

1997 Ford Thunderbird, Built NA 2V/ T-45
1997 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0L
2003 Lincoln LS V8 Bolt Ons
2009 Yamaha VMax
2011 F-150 Lariat Limited 6.2L 4WD
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium, Performance Pack, Recaros
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 96 GoldBird

I just checked the results of the poll and most are recommending clear corners, guages, etc. That's Bling Bling... or "wood" as they call it here. I've got a bit of that too, but that was and is my last priority....

I am guessing that SW modified the poll a bit, as is his practice occasionally.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by soop

I am guessing that SW modified the poll a bit, as is his practice occasionally.
Close.

Polls are pointless. Do what you want, and if you don't know what you want, you need to do some reading (use the search function)

P.S. I've now made it correct.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Veteran Poster

Your "Sport" already has a good suspension. Why F%^& with it now? Do the Chip and MAF until your present suspension goes soft. Now if you had the standard suspension, I probably would've voted the other way.

96GB has a good point about doing suspension first, but on my Wife limited budget I went with power first. I also have sport option and love the way it rides as is.

'97 Sport Option'd T-Bird
DSS Shortblock, PI Heads, 262AH Cams, Kooks, SVO SC with stock pulley,
42 lb injectors, 70mm TB, '02 GT MAF, Vogtland Springs, Mk VIII DS,
Marauder TC, 17" SVT T-Bird Rims, Michelin PS2 235/50/17, True Duals,
4.10 gears, J-modded tranny
300RWHP 335RWTQ
Member of www.midwestthundercats.com

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 04:32 PM
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by 17Mark71
Your "Sport" already has a good suspension. Why F%^& with it now? Do the Chip and MAF until your present suspension goes soft. Now if you had the standard suspension, I probably would've voted the other way.

96GB has a good point about doing suspension first, but on my Wife limited budget I went with power first. I also have sport option and love the way it rides as is.
I looked in his signature and didn't see anything about the sport option. If I was driving around on a stock LX suspension, the first thing I would do is get rid of the marshmallows I was riding on. The sport option IS indeed better. If you add some better bushings, chassis braces, etc - it gets better.

Adding a chip and new MAF is really a teaser. There's not much SOTP power increase, but the tranny part of the chip really shines.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by 97Tibirdman
I decided to go withe the sprigs/shocks. besied I really want to make my car better all around, I want to do a brake uprgrade, Sway Bars, the Chip/Maf, TC, Gears, heads, cams. But for now the susoension is really what I want.
It seems he's made up his mind, and it's the right choice for him. Springs and shocks and bars and poly bushings made my car a lot of fun to drive..... even more fun when I could downshift into a high speed turn, jam the gas and bring the a$$ end around with power...

96 GoldBird

N/A:

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Cougar Pilot

Well I see you've all made points but let's face the facts:

KYB shocks (for our cars) = Garbage
Suspension Tech Springs = $100 lowering springs, probably not better than Sport springs

I wouldn't even consider trading my Sport shocks and springs for a KYB/Suspension Tech combo, much less pay MONEY to do such a thing. Just isn't going to be much better (if any) than the OEM. Let's also remember I could have gotten KYB/Susp. Tech. for probably less money than my Sport setup.

Now I added power (a nominal amount ) before the Sport shocks and springs, but it still isn't going to handle all that great until I can get poly bushings, Addco sway bars, subframe connectors, KB/JL braces, 17x9's, Konis. Suspension, like adding hp isn't something most can afford to do all in one shot.

A chip and a MAF are two pretty damn good mods, and they will drop E/T and add power, and make the car much better to drive.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Now if you have a worn out suspension like my cougar, you get excellent weight transfer, worth every penny.

I, AustinCougar, take full responsibility for this post. Under no circumstances will TCCOA or any of its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents, sponsors, licensers, or any other party involved in the creation, production, maintenance or distribution of TCCOA be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages (including but not limited to loss of profits, business, anticipated savings, goodwill, use of data or other intangible losses) that result from this post.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCat94
Well I see you've all made points but let's face the facts:

Now I added power (a nominal amount ) before the Sport shocks and springs, but it still isn't going to handle all that great until I can get poly bushings, Addco sway bars, subframe connectors, KB/JL braces, 17x9's, Konis. Suspension, like adding hp isn't something most can afford to do all in one shot.

A chip and a MAF are two pretty damn good mods, and they will drop E/T and add power, and make the car much better to drive.
I'd forgotten about the rear sway bar that makes our true sport optioned cars handle that much better! You need one to fully appreciate the setup! This talking about suspension makes me want to break out the Bird from it's cocoon in my garage...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in