Leaking Injectors/fuel rail - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Leaking Injectors/fuel rail

Since I installed the Mustang engine I've been having issues with the injectors on the passenger side leaking. I tried bending the mounting tabs slightly to put more pressure on the injectors, replaced the o-rings top and bottom, but it still leaks. It happens when the temperature drops to -12 celcius or colder. I start the car and after about 10 - 15 minutes of driving the smell of gas is very strong. I stop and open the hood and all the passenger side injectors are soaked with gas. After letting the car sit for a half hour or so, it stops and won't do it again unless the same conditions occur. When it's warm out it never does it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

First did you check your fuel pressure regulator & regulator o-ring?

One possibility is that when heated, materials expand and when cooled they contract. The metal and rubber o-rings expand and contract at different rates.

You may have a defective fuel rail with an slightly oval opening or your fuel pump is putting out more pressure than the fuel rail can take at that temperature. Solutions can be:
1. Replace your fuel rail. Do you still have the T-Bird rail? If you are using it you may need to upgrade to a high performance design.
2. Try larger o-rings (I really do not like the o-ring idea).
3. It is quite possible that your fuel pump can be putting out so much pressure that it over powers the fuel rail system. If this is the case lower it to 40 PSI at idle.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Miller
First did you check your fuel pressure regulator & regulator o-ring?

One possibility is that when heated, materials expand and when cooled they contract. The metal and rubber o-rings expand and contract at different rates.

You may have a defective fuel rail with an slightly oval opening or your fuel pump is putting out more pressure than the fuel rail can take at that temperature. Solutions can be:
1. Replace your fuel rail. Do you still have the T-Bird rail? If you are using it you may need to upgrade to a high performance design.
2. Try larger o-rings (I really do not like the o-ring idea).
3. It is quite possible that your fuel pump can be putting out so much pressure that it over powers the fuel rail system. If this is the case lower it to 40 PSI at idle.
I still have the t-bird rails. I am considering the Holley rails. The point is that this system worked ok on the t-bird engine, and nothing has changed other than the engine. Same fuel pump, rails, intake mainifold, etc. I have a fuel pressure gauge and it shows 36# at idle, 48# at WOT. I have the Mustang GT intake manifold complete with the T/B and fuel rails. I wonder if the rails from the Mustang would work on the AED?

How would I get larger o-rings?

Last edited by bigbird; 12-30-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 09:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think something could have been damaged during the swap. I advise against the larger o-rings but if you insist try http://www.mcmaster-carr.com/.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I am going to use the Mustang rails. The AED comes with an adapter that connects in place of the fuel regulator on the T-bird rail. I can modify the adapter slightly to connect in place of the Mustang transducer and that will become the return line. I am having the rails modded so that the cross over fuel line comes out of the top instead of the sides so it will clear the inter cooler.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear Poster

also be sure that you are putting the injectors in the rails first and then putting the rails/injectors on the intake. if you try and stab the injectors in the manifold first, they will most likely leak.

Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:14 PM
PostWhore

When seating them into position ... did you use lube? maybe some DC4 or engine oil

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Yup. Lube and everything.
I swapped in the modified Mustang rails tonight and everything went well, BUT, it seems to be running rich. Maybe the repositioned pressure regulator is not working well. Guess I better touch base with Scott at AED.
post #9 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Modified stang rails? Just curious. I had problems with them leaking for about 15 mins when I installed a new injector at a junkyard once. It took some time screwing with how I bolted down the rail. I used motorcraft 15w40...you probably just werent using thick enough oil!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #10 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Everything is working great. I forgot to reconnect the MAF .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in