89 bird 3.8 aod problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Question 89 bird 3.8 (aod tranny swaped and now it wont start)

ok im to the point where i wanna burn my car cuz its drivin me nuts. i have an 89 bird with a 3.8 aod tranny. i just did a tranny swap and now it wont start. im gettin spark and fuel now im stumped. oh yeah it cranks like crazy but still wont start. it almost acts like its outta time but i had it runnin before the swap like i said and i cant figure how it would have jumped time by swithin the tranny so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by shultzy; 01-07-2004 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:55 PM

This sounds exactly like my old 3.8 with blown head gasket. I would try spraying fuel into the throttle body (safely of course) and then see if it fires up at all. Mine was getting good pressure to the rail, but I guess with the blown HG, it didnt make enough vacuum to open the regulator. It would run really choppy.

Did you just drop the trans out the bottom or pull the engine and trans together?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

head gaskets were checked and still it wont start. i had it close the other day. like i said it almost seems like its outta time, would it possibly be a crank position sensor that would cause my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
did you check the fuse? i don't remeber which one it is, but it resets all the info in the computer. if it is blown, or not installed, the car will crank, but not start. is your coil plugged in tightly? just some options.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 PM

while your checking connections, make sure the two big plugs at the passengers side near the firewall are clean and tight. Wont get far without them.

Also, what PSI reading are you getting at the fuel rail? And is your Fuel Pressure regulator vacuum hose plugged in? just some things to check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in