Difference in Auto Climate Controls? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Difference in Auto Climate Controls?

I am planning on swapping my 93 dash to a 94-97 style one. I have the auto climate control feature in my car, I noticed the newer ones have outside temp, warm, and cool buttons that mine don't. Would it be easier to keep the climate control I have or swap to the new style climate control? I've never seen a newer style dash with the older climate control, so I'm not sure how it would work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

On the 94 its a standard din size and I think on the previous years its bigger or smaller, I cant remember but it will be a challange. Best to take out your tape mesure at this point.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, I can measure mine, but I don't have anything to reference to for the newer ones. I am getting the dash bezel fom the 94+ soon but don't have that yet or a climate control unit from 94+. Can anyone help me out on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 11:21 AM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
would the back harnesses be different????

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by smokymance
would the back harnesses be different????
That's what I've been trying to find out, and without both of them in front of me it's kinda hard. I'll go check my Chilton's manual...maybe for once it will have useful info lol.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

It will not work with the 93 EEC. The 97 temperature control module controls the in-vehicle temperature. It receives inputs from sensors and controls the door and actuator pistons, blower motor operation and power fed to the A/C clutch operation. The outside temperature is monitored by a thermocouple mounted on the front of the radiator support. In addition it provides a signal to the 97 EEC to control the compressor operation.

In short, you will have to practically swap over wiring harness to do the 97 ACC swap.

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:30 PM
MaleWhore

i got a question...sorry to be out of tipic but, on my 97..the bulb behhind the fan control lever burnt out...how do i change it...or is it changeable...?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, so if the 94+ climate control won't work with the 93 eec then I need to figure out if my 93 climate control fits in the 94+ dash. If it does, I think it would make things alot easier...tho I have the feeling it won't be as easy as I'd like.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:25 AM
PostWhore

The CC panel on the older cars is bigger than a DIN. You could probably make it fit, but it shouldn't be plug-and-play.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Damn, then I might as well change to the newer wiring harness and try to get the newer climate control panel in instead. I know I wont be able to get the outside temp. working without the extra sensors, but should it's basic functions work with my current sensors? Or are they totally different? I have no clue about these climate controls, and I know that's going to be the hardest thing to get working. Thanks for the replies though everyone! I know I'm annoying, lol.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by smokymance
i got a question...sorry to be out of tipic but, on my 97..the bulb behhind the fan control lever burnt out...how do i change it...or is it changeable...?
You have to remove the unit from the dash. You need the special Ford radio removal keys (available at AutoZone or anywhere like that). Then you'll see the bulbs in the back of the unit.

- Mark
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 04:37 PM

I have the same problem...the bulb burn't out behind the fan controls on my 94...I triesd to remove it and it only wants to come out like 2 inches....the wires are not very long in the back... Also I did not see any bulbs...Please help...where exactly are the bulbs and can I replace it with out having to fullly take out the unit...how do I get the unit fully out??
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 05:06 PM

I have the same problem...the bulb burn't out behind the fan controls on my 94...I triesd to remove it and it only wants to come out like 2 inches....the wires are not very long in the back... Also I did not see any bulbs...Please help...where exactly are the bulbs and can I replace it with out having to fullly take out the unit...how do I get the unit fully out??
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 11:19 AM
MaleWhore

same here, i cant take the unit fully out...how can i take it out fully?

post #15 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Hmm, how to take it out fully? Just use the radio tools and when it's free of the dash reach behind it all the way on the right side there is a vacuum line harness connector. Just grasp it firmly and wiggle it off. It's the shortest of all the connectors I think, so once you get it off you should be able to reach the other connectors. Looking at the front of the unit, from left to right, the connectors are:

1. Black or gray plug
2. Black or gray plug
3. Red plug.
4. Clear vacuum plug, with multiple colored lines.

Unplug them all, and you're free.

Now for all who desire to change their bulbs:

Once you get the unit out, look at the back of it. There is a black cover over the internal electronics, and it is fastened with 2 screws in the back. Take these out, and then gently pry around the edges to release the plastic snaps that secure the sides. Now, slide out the circuit board, and then you will see the two lamp holders. These are small, grey ones that look similar to the ones behind the dash gauges, only smaller. Give 'em a quarter turn to remove, change out the bulbs, quarter turn puts them back in, and reassembly is the reverse of the removal process.
post #16 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

You have to remove the ACC unit. Apply a side load away from the control to disengage the clips. Be careful…

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in