AC Compressor, when did yours fail? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

AC Compressor, when did yours fail?

I noticed my AC compressor is VERY hard to turn by hand (The driveplate, not the clutch pulley) I've been doing AC work for years and this is the hardest one to turn to date, although it is my first experience with this particular model ford compressor.

Is this normal? and when did it happen to you?

I'd like to replace it before it grenades to prevent massive flushing.

btw AC system blows cold and pressures are spot on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I can't say if it's normal or not, but I replaced mine just over a year-and-a-half-ago.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:01 PM

Mine totally stoped working about 4 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ExecutiveHydra
Mine totally stoped working about 4 months ago.
AC system in general or do you know it's the c ompressor?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 PM

I know it's the compressor
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

My compressor went at 120,000 but only after a dumb AC tech overcharged it to the point it would stall the motor at idle when the clutch engaged. After he realized what he did he removed some but it failed within a couple of months after that. It is usually really noisy when they fail

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
4th Gear Poster

Just failed along with the pulley last Friday at 141390.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

hmmms sounds like it's time to put in a Unicla FS10 and a filter, I'd rather spend the money now than have to flush the evap, lines, get a new accum, condenser etc etc.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:52 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

You sound a lot like Cam94. He'll come over to my place to change one part and then replace the 5 surrounding parts just in case

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I have never been impressed with Ford's A/C. Anyone know of a different manufacturer's system that can be swapped in?

I talked with an HVAC tech that has his A/C system internally lubricated annually. He said he does for building systems, and he's done it to his cars for decades. Since he's had no failures, I think that says something.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:02 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I think it's all in the maintenance I have only replaced my compressor once in 215,000 miles. There is a lubricating oil you put in the AC lines after you vacuum the system down. Never thought about drawing it down once a year and relubing though. The biggest issue the ford systems have are the disconnect fittings but they sell stabilizer kits to overcome that. The reality is that there are only a couple of different manufacturers of compressors no matter what type of car it is.

Birdless

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by timb
I think it's all in the maintenance I have only replaced my compressor once in 215,000 miles. There is a lubricating oil you put in the AC lines after you vacuum the system down. Never thought about drawing it down once a year and relubing though. The biggest issue the ford systems have are the disconnect fittings but they sell stabilizer kits to overcome that. The reality is that there are only a couple of different manufacturers of compressors no matter what type of car it is.
I would recommend against emptying the system and vacuuming it down again every year, Ford (And most new cars) come with PAG oil witch has an extremely high affinity for moisture, the less your AC system sees air, the less chance of your PAG oil turning acidic with the moisture. The AC oil never has to be changed, only add it if you are replacing a component of the system. The general rule is if you replace the accumulator, Compressor, evap, or condensor is to add 2oz of PAG for every compenent replaced.

Unicla makes FS10 compressor's that are far more superior to Ford's. They are meant for heavy duty applications and have an integrated oil sump for better lubrication. you can get that and any other AC part you need at

www.ackits.com

another good place for AC supplies is www.acsource.com

When you open these ford springlock fittings it is imperative that you clean them very well and use new green o-rings. I like to lubricate my o-rings with Nylog for a good seal, they can be found at either of the sites I mentioned above.

If you guys have any AC questions ask away, I'm a self proclaimed MVAC expert

Edit: and those springlock stabilizers that timb mentioned are worth every penny.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:22 AM
PostWhore

My compressor failed twice within 100K, so I said FORGET IT and have been A/C-less for 5 years.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Mazza
My compressor failed twice within 100K, so I said FORGET IT and have been A/C-less for 5 years.
After a compressor failure you must replace the condenser, accumulator, flush the hell out of the evap and lines, and must install a springlock filter and new orifice tube assembly. If not all these are done and done well the new compressor will not last long.

also if you used a compressor from your local autoparts store, chances are it was a four seasons reman, we like to call them "for seizens" cuz they seize up after about 50,000 miles
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by timb
You sound a lot like Cam94. He'll come over to my place to change one part and then replace the 5 surrounding parts just in case
You know I just found this!!

I do that because with my luck, the part next to the one I am replacing will fail two weeks later and you will get to help me do it again!!!

I Love you man!

Last edited by Cam94; 01-16-2004 at 02:08 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:25 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I was wondering when you would run across this

Birdless

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:29 PM

I hardly visit this forum!

Mine is still going at 140K. When I swap the engine it will be one of the few things I am not changing just because I do not want the hassel of having the whole system evactuated and cleaned and then have to replace the dryer.

I will be replacing the PS pump and pressure hose. I have a $40 Pep boys gift certificate to help offset the cost. Luckily there is one right around the corner from Tim's house. In case we run into a few other parts I want to replace.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 03:37 PM

My project bird 100K+ miles on it, came with the compressor still hooked up and tied off to the side for engine removal. I put in a different engine and bolted the compressor back to it, and it still works. Although its noisy and doesnt get too cold. I think having the lines kinked over to the side like that leaked out some freon, as it does cycle very fast. As soon as it warms up, if I still have it, its fitting change + vacuum + PAG + R134, and I will see how long it holds up.

On another compressor story, my in laws have a 1988 Lincoln LSC and the clutch and compressor locked up on it once, burned the belt right off the car and left them stranded. I tried to tell him that waiting for it to die was bad and to just unplug it, but NOOOOO.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 11:22 AM

You have AC? man....I yanked mine off and replaced it with an eliminator kit from Steeda. took like 40 pounds of crap off the car freed up some space on the passenger side of the engine bay too. Who needs AC anyway(LOL I'm about to find out with my first summer in New Orleans-course it gets just as hot in Iowa just not quite as longterm).
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:15 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Mmmm...parboiled squirrel. I like it blackened Cajun style, too.

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zippythesquirrel
Who needs AC anyway(LOL I'm about to find out with my first summer in New Orleans-course it gets just as hot in Iowa just not quite as longterm).
It may get just as hot in Iowa, but I'll bet you it gets nowhere near as humid. I'll bet by July you'll be looking to put it back in. Humidity sucks. There are days down here during the summer, when I walk out the door at 5:30 AM that it feels like you just walked into a sauna, and the sun isn't up yet! One of the few draw backs to living in South FL but I'll deal with that over cold and snow any day!
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 04:33 PM

Accually it gets just as humid in Ia as it does in La. We have about a 8 week strech from mid July to mid September when it can be 120 with 99% RH so you're looking at 130+ heat indexs I have replaced the rear quarter window seals because the inside car heat melted them and casued leaks(twice infact...) that sukd.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:04 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Yeah, but at least you have decent looking wimmen in skimpy outfits down there.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PCD
Yeah, but at least you have decent looking wimmen in skimpy outfits down there.
well, you got the skimpy outfits part right
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 06:36 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Billabong,

I wish my eldest were on this board. She would have everyone dying from laughter when she describes "Dubuque Fat A** Disease" and Dubuque being the land of the Amazons (a lot of women over 6' tall here).

I've been to N'awlins before in summer. Zippy knows if I got rid of the ball and chain that I'd be there in a New York second. Only thing is that I'd have to bring daughter #2. She's a car nut and a looker. I'd be using my ugly stick beating off suitors for her.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM
PostWhore

Billabong, it was a Ford warranty repair, with Motorcraft parts. And, at that time, my brother-in-law owned the car, so I don't know what exactly the Ford guys replaced. But it failed again before long, believe me.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 12:35 AM

LEGAS DISCLAMER:
The Squirrel had 3 Hand Grenades 2 hurricanes and a few beers and shots tonight, and cannot be held responsible for what he types.
END DISCLAMER:

If one of you all doesn't come down from the FREEZER for Mardi Gras I'll have to come up there and kidnap a few of ya. PS bring the ball and chain down with ya I know a nice quiet place where we can dump the body...(of course the chipper shredder isn't too bad of an idea either...).

And ya it was like 70 here today and people were wearing WINTER COATS made me laugh.
The lookers are indeed out however as it was aparently Duct Tape clothing night on Burbon Street...(I'll let that image smolder for a while)

PCD, BTW I could get her a verry good job @ Scarlets making in the neighborhood of 5 grand a month if shes popular and a good dancer.

I do have to agree also Iowa is the land of Cattle Women and Amazon Women.
Not that having a 7'2" tall GF is a bad thing puts some things at a *nice* level(hey honey nice haircut...)

If you don't know what a Hand Grenade is look up the Tropical Isle Bar online.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in