keyless entry - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

keyless entry

what could be some reasons y the keyless entry dosent work on my car 89 cougar ls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Are you referring to the keypad, or the remote transmitter operation? Pinpoint tests for this problem (based on what I've seen in the 1993 Service Manual as I don't have one for 1989), are rather extensive.

In general:

Keypad or keypad connector
Keyless entry module or connectors
Keyless entry circuitry
Damaged module antenna
Worn/damaged remote transmitter
Dead remote transmitter battery

From the 1993 manual, the operation of the keyless entry system receives inputs from the following:

Front door handles
Driver's seat sensor
Transmission backup lamp switch
Ignition switch
Electric door lock/unlock switches
Courtesy lamp switches
Door ajar switches
Keypad
Program connector
Transmitter(s)

The system distributes output to the following:

Keypad illumination
Convenience lamps
Door lock actuators and motors
Luggage compartment deck lid release solenoid
Interior lamps and keyhole illumination
Horn relay
Autolamp relay (parking lamps)
Anti-theft module (if equipped)

One way of looking at this is to ensure all those things are working correctly......! However, I'd suspect one of the four main components: the electronic control module, located under the package tray in the luggage compartment, the keypad on the driver's door, the existing antenna, and the remote transmitter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advice. i will go check out the keypad today to my knoledge the car didnot have remote keyless entry just the little touchpad but if it did where would the antenna be located at? out of the things that you said are controlled by it the following dont work

Convenience lamps (maplights?)
Interior lamps and keyhole illumination(works if you turn dome light on)
Autolamp relay (parking lamps)(worked intil i had dimmer switch repaired will fix their fixing soon)
Anti-theft module (if equipped)(i donot think my car was equipped with this option)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm I failed to see any wires coming out of that touchpad, but its not really in an accessable spot, and its cold out where does it run too? i didnt see any loose wires either. i unplugged that control module and plugged it back in again all good there?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

After putting on a nice warm pair of gloves i went out and inspected further. i was able to find the wiring harness that went up to the lockpad. I cant tell if they are all connected good or not. One thing that caught my attention was there was a black wire that didnt go all the way up to the door. it wasnt connected to anything. An outer inspection of the keypad reveals that on the 9/0 side of it it kind of looks pushed in. dosent look as though its far enough back to have broken anything.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by inuyasha
Thank you for your advice. i will go check out the keypad today to my knoledge the car didnot have remote keyless entry just the little touchpad but if it did where would the antenna be located at? out of the things that you said are controlled by it the following dont work

Convenience lamps (maplights?)
Interior lamps and keyhole illumination(works if you turn dome light on)
Autolamp relay (parking lamps)(worked intil i had dimmer switch repaired will fix their fixing soon)
Anti-theft module (if equipped)(i donot think my car was equipped with this option)
That control module with the antenna is located in the trunk; it's either under the decklid, or maybe behind the lefthand trim panel. I don't have my 1993 manual at present, so I can't say for certain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in