Thief Techniques site? and Keeping a hood locked? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thief Techniques site? and Keeping a hood locked?

Well I've been searching, and googling, and so far no luck.

I remember LONG LONG time ago, there was a link on a super old thread on this site or sccoa, probably 2 servers ago.

The link/site basically had a whole list of techniques car thieves use to break into cars, hoods, and bypass alarms, blow fuses, etc, etc. it also covered some ways of preventing thieves from being able to accomplish these techniques.

If anybody has this link, I'd sincerely appreciate it.

I want to prevent vandals from breaking into the hood on my mothers car, and draining her anti-freeze. I'll finally be taking a look at the car this week to see how they are doing it, and see if I can prevent them from opening the hood from outside of the car.

Long story, criminal case going on, and divorce, and they are trying to deter her from testifying, and having the money to continue with legal costs. Overheated/blown engine due to no coolant = loss of transportation, and money at a vulnerable time.

Thanks for any insight on techniques,
or links of interest.

Back to googling...

Don

1997 Sport - Work in progress:>
MP BB 304 Teksid 4v- w IC'd / Ported M112
Need:
Eaton pulley puller (VMP or BF preferred)
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 07:08 PM

Well I don't know about vandals but I layer security around my house/garage.
Motion detector lights, a good fence, dog, NRA decals(you'd be suprised how well this goes over with the cops too!) common sense, The other thing I would say is if you live in a town with good cops have themadd a patrol or 2 the neighborhood at various times. Most street cops won't mind doing this if you give them a good reason.
Talk to the cops not the desk or operator(ie think gas station in the middle of the night or if you see one sitting tell them what's going on (hey man these people have been messing with my moms car she's kinda elderly/handicappt/whatever can you have a coupple of the guys that are asigned to the area swing by a coupple of times a night.) you'd be suprised how often the cop will call a buddy or 2 to help out.
You could also camp out in the van with a camera/12 Ga/big flood light and scare the hell out of them when they show up(camera's good as it gives photo evidence that you can then go to court with and use it against them in whatever your mom's messed up in.

As far as stealing the car goes the cheapest and simplest thing to do is wire a remote switch into the BOO wires, switch it on and you have power to the BOO which lets you get out of PARK switch it off and yes you can start the car but it ain't going anywhere, place it somewhere where only you know where it is(under the drivers seat, in the ash tray, wire it to the Traction assist, add a factory looking switch to the console or dash, or in the center console storage space(by the trunk popper button) basically anywhere that's not hidden but not likely to be accidentally found.
Where are you @ man I may have "friends" there(Ask Big Al about my friends I got some stuff for him from a dead beat seller a while ago)

Good luck man
ZTS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well she is somewhat far away from me, and the police are already watching her house on every single shift. Seems this is happening when she goes to class in a different city.

But someone could tail her, and try to mess up the car at shopping mall or wherever.
I'd rather just rig the car, preventing tampering, or atleast make it take longer. I'll wait until I see the car tomorrow, and just eyeball things.

She has plenty of protection, and may be relocated by the govermenet (witness program) if there is enough evidence to continue with federal charges.

Believe me, physical agression is not a problem for me.

However, I know how well I control myself when protecting family, it would not end pretty, and jail for life is not worth it.

She knows that, and won't let me go to her house because of it :-)
In case I got lucky and ran into her opposing party.

Michigan laws are way different, compared to some other states.

I wish this was all happening in Texas :-)

Supposedly, on many cars you can use a screwdriver or other tool and unlock the hood latch from the grill or under the car.
I'll see if this is how they are draining her coolant, or if they are doing it from underneath.
She's been more aware of it now, luckily the motor seems to still be ok, she's had to have it filled 4 times now.

I may just have to round off the drain plug, or replace it with a male-torx head bolt.
I high current electrical charge sounds more fun though

Need:
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

hey don,

what about the old fassion hood pin locking things? dont some of them have unique keys to the locks

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

good idea, never thought of that.
She may not like hood pins, but I'll find out if they are getting in from the top first too.

Need:
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Be careful, if they can't pull the plug they just ram something through the grill to get to the radiator core and then they might even get the a/c condenser. I like the idea of using a camera. The new vidio cameras work really good in low light areas like at night outside. Set one up with a vcr recording and they would never know it, and you would have a tape to sell to the tv cop shows.

Rick
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:47 PM

10-4 on the item thru the grill I had a piece of re-rod jammed thru the grill on my 68 cougar(thankfully I hadn't replaced it with the NOS one yet but still...)
Yes on an MN-12 for example I can get into your gas tank and under your hood with a putty knife or metal ruler.
If she goes into WTP dam... she'll have a nice life as someone else but...
She in Detroit area? I know a few FBI guys there who are bored couple US marshals too if you need equip Pm me I might be able to set it up(night vision video camera or whatever) of course there's the .308 option too.
I'll bet they are just un-doing the drain plug. Have her put a match book into the hood gap at the back if they are opening the hood the match book will be on the ground. A small piece of cardboard under the vehicle will alert to antifreeze on it(or if it's gone...), just place it on the ground and roll a wheel over it to keep it from blowing away.
Another weak point is the lower rad. hose a small knife and it's all over.
The other thing is to have her change her way to work,school,home (take a different route EVERY time PITA I know but is some extra time worth a life) and be VERY aware of strange cars(neighbors help with this too specially OLD ones).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

yup well it goes even deeper than what I have mentioned, the lawyer for the other party is probably going to loose his license, and even today committed illegal actions wih her cell phone company today. They are trying to intimidate her, and drag things on longer so she can't afford to continue. She's got tons of evidence, and they know they are screwed. They have alot at stake.

She's getting free legal from some spousal orginization, and some federal lawyers are being assigned to some portion of the charges/cases..... don't know all the details.

Someone has also been going out to her house, and putting holes/leaks in her propane tank / tank lines.

She can't afford to fix/refill it again. If I were their I'd hold them at gun point until the police arrived, but the temptation would be oooo so great. Not worthing capping them, they should suffer the jail time.
I wish she did have some serveillance equipment, but she is totally broke with everything that has happened, she tries to stay away from the property at this point.

After this weak the anvil may have fallen, and this may atleast be partially over.

Tmobile may now also have some court appointments to attend to, since the law firm may have a Tmobile employee on their payroll, and she has some tape recordings from both the firm, and tmobile proving the foul play. (basically shutting down her phone service just prior to some of these house visits to steel or damage belongings from the property, car/ gas line sabotage, look for her evidence/ papework etc, etc.)

Amazing the mistakes that were made by the lawyers, and the courthouse even in this hole mess.

I just hope it's all over soon, so she can move on, the bastards set an injunction, so she can't even sell her belongings until the divorce is resolved, and she's physically unable to work at this point, their trying to squeeze her into giving up.

They made a big mistake, heh, She's more stubborn than me!
We'll have to getter a different phone, and a different place to reside soon, with security.

Thanks for all the insight,

Don

Need:
H/E
Cowl Hood
FRPS
FORE Regulator
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:25 PM

Has she tried to have an order of protection put in place yet? With one picture or witnesses with them in it puts them in the position of having to defend themselves against a contempt of court charge which in turn gives her more firepower concerning the other procedings. I feel for you and your mom. Another option to consider is the path of filing a harrassment charge consumated by terroristic tactics. Seems to me that local/state law enforcement can also provide surveilance if there is enough evidence pointing to the claim being made. Terroristic threats are being taking very seriously these days.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Article is under tech articles INTERIOR. Below is link then click on Ultimate Security.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/interior/index.html#

Direct link to Ultimate Security

Previous owner of: '96 Tbird Sport with AED SC.
Best 1/4 mile 13.7sec @ 101mph
Previous owner of:'04 Red Mercury Marauder 100% stock.
Best 1/4 mile 14.6sec @96mph on Dec. 20th at Hallsville, TX

Last edited by GreenBird; 01-21-2004 at 11:29 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to SupercoupeSC91 Send a message via MSN to SupercoupeSC91 Send a message via Yahoo to SupercoupeSC91
the locking hood pins arent as secure as you may think, i had them before, number 1 thing make sure its locked, i had a few experieces driving down the hood before a couple years ago before my bodywork and paitn was done and had the hood fly open.. but why i say its not that secure is, i was driving down the road, and someone on a bike behind me said i was leaking some serious stuff, i pulled in a parking lot to check, i went to unlock my hood pins with the key, i broke a piece inside of the lock, a little metal tab stayed in there.. now i was stuck and pissed. i called my brother and he came down. he ended up just putting a pair of vice grips on it really tight and just turning the whole thing and it unlocked.. so as security its not that good.. its better than nothing. but my newest hood i bought has a latch and i use regular hood pics now. best bet is colored wireless night vision camera's and lo-jack. i plan on doing something maybe in a yeay or so where i store my car.. as another thing for security, once again i had wheel locks on my car, i took off 3 wire wheels a few years ago when i was into that and gthen the 4th one stripped inside and i was screwed. then again my brother (my mech/me) he comes with a few size sockets, bangs it on. then turns it right off, so there is not much for security, it just depends on the knowledge of the person trying to take it. Alex L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in