i need input on mac cold air intake - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to NUHBOY4.6
i need input on mac cold air intake

what do you guys think about the mac cold air system, good, bad or indifferent. also is it a real big deal if i lose the speed limiter and want to break 115 every once in a while without a new driveshaft and all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Boom.

There is a reason that the car is governed at 105 from the factory, actually multiple reasons...the torque convertor, driveshaft, brakes, tires all being part of that. Where is it you plan on breaking 115 every once in awhile? I would recommend against driving at such a high speed until you address those issues, and I would especially recommend that you not drive that fast on public roads.

As far as the MAC, there are other things I would spend $150 or whatever it costs on. Pretty much just show.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 PM

I have the Mac Cold air intake (modified slightly to work on my 95) and I think it's great. It's a huge improvement on the stock setup and better than the system the idiot I bought the car from had in there. He had a taken a little honda civic cone filter (when I say little I mean very little!) and jury rigged it directly to the MAF, then covered it in a plexiglass heat shield. He also neglected to remove the air silencer, so it wasn't much of a cold air intake. I'm a lot happier with my car's performance with the Mac vs the other 2 sytems I just mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

thanks for the info, i don't think that dads scolding really helped to much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 03:19 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
I have the MAC cold air also. The only thing I'm not too happy---but not upset either---is they use rubber gromets with plastic hose nipple inserts instead of being welded together in one piece. I know when I when to put mine in....I had to grind the holes where the hose nipples go so they could be inserted. Other than that....no biggie and is definately better looking compared to the stock tube.

As a side note......and I found this out the hard and expensive way....you may not want to use the elbow and mount the filter behind the wheel well. Instead...just use the upper tube and get / make a heat sheild for it. If you use the elbow...DO NOT GO THROUGH HIGH WATER----meaning floods about 2-3 inches or more deep--- unless you disconect the intake tube from the throttle body. If you don't....you run the risk of sucking in water......and if you get too much.....you'll hydrolock the motor and bend a connecting rod....that means rebuild. That would probably go for ANY cold air intake setup where the filter mounts behind the wheel well.

As for hitting 115mph.....the biggest problem you'd run is the driveshaft...especially if you have gears like 3.55, 3.73, etc. THe stock torque converter would be the other major problem at that speed.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

thanks for your info, but if i did the reinhart chip upgrade, do you think it is that detramental to do all of the other expensive upgrades. in talking about every once in a great while seeing if i can peg the speedo, does that mean that another 20 mph is going to make my car grenade if i dont have a shaft or converter. im not trying to race a connonball run or anything. p.s. my dilema is that i love to beat up on imports until 105 or what ever, but i dont like watching them go buy me after that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
Don't do it all the time and for short periods of times......you should be able to get buy for awhile......but eventually, it'll catch up with ya. If / when it does.....it'll cost more to fix than it would to do the upgrades.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowride
Don't do it all the time and for short periods of times......you should be able to get buy for awhile......but eventually, it'll catch up with ya. If / when it does.....it'll cost more to fix than it would to do the upgrades.
I agree, and I have the $2100 trans rebuild bill to prove it (with trans cooler and transgo shift kit) :P

I still go fast, but not up 100 no more. More like 85 max for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in