Quick, my car is stuck - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quick, my car is stuck

About ten miles from my tools, heat, and anything that is handy when repairing a car lies my Bird in the wide open parking lot at school. The problem, the right rear brake caliper is stuck, or that is what I think. The car will not move. I think it is the calpier because the other day I was hearing wierd noises coming from that part of the car and looked and the pads, which were changed in march were nearly worn down to nothing.
Any suggestions on how to move it without towing it. Or if it is really the caliper. Can I get it to unstick to get it home. I found a caliper at a junk yard for $7, the next closest price is $35 and $70 for a remanufactured one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

If you take off the rear wheel, with a c-clamp you should be able to squeeze the caliper to a retracted position without taking anything apart. Squeeze the back of the caliper and the pad in the front together. That should push the piston back into the caliper.

To keep it from sticking again while you move it for repairs, you could probably unhook the brake line, clamp it off (with vise grips?) and hang it up out of the way. If you do clamp it, you should replace that brake line also when you do the caliper.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

well, the only problem with that is that the caliper is stuck and is prob not comming off the rotor unless I can be lucky and it work. I might have to try the clamp, I would hate to have to replace the line but if I have to I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

squeezing the outer pad and the inside of the caliper is really about all the pressure you can put on the piston. The other place the caliper could be stuck is at the mounting pins/bolts that it slides on. Either way, a c-clamp is your best bet to try to break either one of them loose.

Good luck, and yes, you need to replace the hose if you clamp it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:32 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Please do not consider driving with a brake line disconected.....a tow is a cheap investment compared to your life

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:53 PM

vise grips on brake line doesnt work. i tried that and leaked all over the place... u have to crimp, roll, crimp, roll. crimp, roll.. i did that and 6 months later stillworks 3 wheel breakin!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 04:02 PM

do NOT drive with a brake line disconnected under any circumstances

and i crimp lines with vise grips in brake class. it worx for me
its a good thing to do when you change calipers if you don plan on flushin the system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in