Fuel Injector Servicing-Non Chemical - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Fuel Injector Servicing-Non Chemical

I'll probably get it for not putting this in Misc., but I want some feedback before I sink money into this.

I've tracked down stuff on equipment required to, I'll call it overhaul, your fuel injectors. I've seen places that use this equipment to service your injectors for about $26/injector, but your injector has to be removed and sent in as a set.

Has anyone tried one of these services?

What is was the result?

Did you get the problem fix/performance gain you expected?

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:06 AM

I thought that was a chemical process, where they take them off and run them thru a liquid that you can't put in the fuel system and really cleans the injectors.
I may be wrong though...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

No, this is not soaking them in a solvent.

This is cleaning them, testing them, replacing o-rings and "spray nozzle", etc. Everything but rewiring them if the electronics go out.

Sorry, since I did the detective work, I don't want to give away all the goodies. I'm looking for something I can do to make money for my grand plan modifications, if not get out of 9 to 5 programming for a living.

Yeah, I know, with any business you go 5am to 10pm or so, but there is a spiritual difference when you are the boss setting the hours and you are the bossed serving the hours ordered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 PM

You can buy the o-ring and nozzle tip kit at o'reilleys and use 3m injector cleaner if you're seriously worried. It doesnt cost anywhere near $26.

And on a more serious note...$26 per injector. Assuming you have 8 injectors - That totals $208. New FRPP 24#'s from Dan will cost ya $215. For the extra $7 I'll go ahead and get brand new injectors.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 07:41 PM

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Are they flow tested, certified, and guaranteed for 1 year?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:49 AM

What is the tolerance of new injectors +-5% and you can get the ffrp with +-3% I think this is the correct variance? Anyone?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 05:59 PM

FRPP has some injectors that are matched to within 1% but usually less than .5%. The part number ends with the letter F. And yes...they cost more.

If you're willing to go through all the trouble of setting up a business and offering a warranty.....seriously....find something more lucrative.

Unless you're going to contract work out for major companies. (UPS, Local PD, etc)
Then on the grand enough scale it might work. Otherwise, I see no need for such a niche business. Unless you're buying the stuff out of your own pocket....unless you know a banker personally....I doubt theres any way they'd loan money for that.

Orrrr...you could go the middle man route. Charge $30 or 35 and send it out to the places that'll do it for $26 an injector.

I'm all for people starting their own company, but I think you should look for something more lucrative.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

WKenneth,

I am taking note of everything you say. I'm still doing investigation, and I haven't hooked up with my MBA brother to lay down a business plan yet.

I have to do a market survey yet. I need some more info from distributors/suppliers before I can talk to the local garages.

The business wouldn't just be "Ford" injectors, and I'd just be the "shop" these places send/drop off the injectors. It also is not my primary job.

As with the laser printer cartridge refill business, I suspect there will be a number materials I can source on my own for cheaper after I get going unless I'm locked in by a franchise agreement.

I don't believe Dan Newman's prices are a fair comparison, but I haven't done much hunting for new injector prices either. Just looked at them for a project I had in mind for a SC motor I have sitting.

But, you are right, volume will be a key. I would also have to overcome the local repair shops' preferred usage of chemical cleaning while on the engine. There's a few "hole in the wall" shops I'm going to talk to about this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 10:53 PM

As far as dans prices are concerned...thats pretty much wholesale pricing. I can buy a part from Dan for X amount or I could call Prestige Ford....about 2 miles away...and get it for the same price. Whereas Dan is clear on the other side of town.

By no means am I trying to blow smoke man, I work on cars daily. I can get a $25 can of 3m Injector cleaner, hook it to the fuel rail, pull a fuse, start car, clean injectors. All while charging $75. I completely understand that you wont be working on just Ford injectors. On my Lincoln - to change Fuel injectors I can charge 2.3 hours (at $65/hr) to change injectors. I can give the customer an estimate for $149.50 on labor, $315 for 8 injectors, gaskets, and other misc. things. Or I can give them the option of $75 injector cleaning. From the consumer standpoint....if $75 will fix my problem instead of 464.50 plus tax. I'll go the $75 route. Which brings me to sending them out for overhaul. $208 for the overhaul (probably not, just playing with a number) and $149.50 to take 'em out and put 'em back. Plus, I have a car in my bay that I cant move until I get the injectors back in. So in effect I've tied my bay up for $149.50 for 8 hours. Or...I could as I've said...clean the injectors in 15 minutes and make $50 and have the bay open to make money on a different project. In the end...it all comes back to money. I cant make money with a bay theres a car sitting in and I'm waiting on parts. I can make money turning them out in a timely manner.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:04 PM

My brother has an MBA and I always say " I forget you have an MBA let me explain again SLOWER"
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

WKenneth,

Point taken, not arguing, just getting all information.

I have an honest question. After your $75 cleaning, how do you approach dealing with a "dead injector" or the customer says it still doesn't run right?

I have had that happen to me.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 AM

Test the injector, if it's bad go buy a single replacement injector, or if the customer wishes, the whole set.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:24 PM

I have 2 ways I can approach it. I can hook up a computer and let it tell me that Injector #3 isnt firing. Or if its OBD-1 or less I can get a fuel injector tester. That right there will do the trick.

I was thinking today....the best way I can think of is talk to all the parts houses, charge a core on the old injectors, have them send them to you for refurb or whatever. Then you make money, they can sell a 'reman' injector - Everybody's happy. No shops are waiting on you and the parts houses can get another cheaper product to sell. That would be the way I'd do it if I were trying to start a business with the kind of scope you're talking about.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

WKenneth,

I had a thought along that line.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think new car dealers would be interested in the service for their shops. I'd think the better second tier used cat shops might. I was thinking some government entities have their own mechanic shops, that they might be interested.

Dunno. I'm still waiting for $ figure information from the US distributor.

I'd always thought I'd keep an inventory of ready to go injector sets to offer the small garages.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:10 PM

New Car Dealers: No. Other people...quite possibly. Personally...I'd go the core injector route. As far as inventory....you'll tie up too many assets trying to keep a reasonable selection and quantity of injectors on hand. Even from junk yards...it would still cost quite a bit.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

WKenneth,

2 of my brothers have enough blown engines lying around that I should be able to get a minimum stock from them. (I have a nephew that only knows how to blow up engines, not preserve them)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in