Please help me cut out my hood - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Please help me cut out my hood

Hello everyone,

Last year I put a 2 1/2 cowl hood scoop on my Mark VIII. I used the universal one from summit. When I put it on I cut out the top layer of the hood so I could make it functional later. I am trying to figure out the best places to cut it out.

Here is a pic of my current plan. Does this look good?

Here is a picture of the scoop

The small hole would be about over the alternator while the bigger hole would be at the back of the intack/rear of motor.

Thank you
Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Let us know how it turns out I am looking to get a Legendary hood if I can find these folks and an inexpensive hood. I could also mould ina scoop but I am afraid abotu ruining my straight stock hood and having it fall apart you ideas? palsn? thanks
Regg

PerformanceWhite 97 Tbird LX loaded
67,000 miles
4.6 v8 with motor and exhaust upgrade
Custom Interior, Exterior and Audio
wanna be racer
1972 Cutlas Supreme 55,000 miles HO 5HIT (liscence plate)
1979 Cutlas Supreme T-top Hurst/Olds Clone, 461 Olds
Hot wheels
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I posted my idea here because I am affraid of the same thing. After all the bodywork on that scoop I dont want to ruin my hood.

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 10:03 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Reckmann,

Legendary is in PA, so figure Eastern time when you call.

1 (800)346-2426 or 1 (215) 491-1717

For my 97 they wanted $500 for Cowl and $550 for Ram Air, $65 for supports, $29 for crating, and shipping about $100.

I checked the other company making Cowl hoods for T-birds. They are out of stock for at least a month.

I hit a deer, but STUPID State Farm wouldn't go for a fiberglass hood because a new OEM hood wasn't on the estimate (Supposedly not available) and a recycled hood was $300 (that I didn't have) cheaper.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I've seen Legendary hoods and they suck! They don't line up right and you have modify the hood around the wipers. I've talked to people who had them and they weren't too happy. I've been looking into getting a new hood too. I think I'm just going to modify my stock hood when I have my car painted.

95' T-Bird w/ Allen 9psi S/C,JBA headers,30# injectors, 80MM Lightning MAF, 180 Thermostat,190 LPH pump,K&N filter,3.73 gears, Auburn Differential 28 spline for 8.8, SVT 17x7 Cast Alum. Rims w/Michelin Pilot Sport A/S p235/50ZR17, Art True Dual S/S w/High Flow Cats 2.5' Exhaust w/Superturbos, MMC Driveshaft, Cobra Brake upgrade 13"KVR Cross Drilled w/ 2 Piston PBR Calipers, Rear disc convertion w/ 12" KVR Cross Drilled Rotors, Zex Wet Nitrous Kit w/ Polished Bottle, Optima Battery In Trunk, Vortech Intercooler Tank, Tranny Cooler
http://www.supermotors.net/users/Indiana
06' SRT8 Dodge Charger w/Techco Supercharger 5.5psi, Custom Dual Exhaust Dump's, Auto Meter Boost & Fuel Gauges, cross drilled & slotted rotors, Oil cooler
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:23 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

indiana,

I've only seen one. The Ram Air on Dale Puumala's SC. He hasn't had any problem with his baby, and it looks good, too. Dale's posted picures of it if you care to search for them.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Quote:
Originally posted by Kolenich
When I put it on I cut out the top layer of the hood so I could make it functional later. I am trying to figure out the best places to cut it out.
The small hole would be about over the alternator while the bigger hole would be at the back of the intack/rear of motor.
What are you going to make functional? all the hood scoop would do this way is let water in when it rains and possably let air out of engine bay? dont understand what you want to do here with the air from the scoop?

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 Chero

What are you going to make functional? all the hood scoop would do this way is let water in when it rains and possably let air out of engine bay? dont understand what you want to do here with the air from the scoop?
The purpose of a cowl hood such as that is to create a vacuum inside the cowl which will draw air out of the engine bay. Since MN12s and FN10s are bottom breathers and don't exactly have great airflow out of the engine bay, this is a good thing. It will allow more air to flow out of the engine bay which will promote better flow through the bay creating better cooling (the hot air has somewhere to go now) and also toss more cold air past the air intake.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

As AverageJoe stated, the theory is to promote airflow through the engine bay and expel hot air. This is a seasonal vehicle and doesn't see much harsh weather but rain should still not be a problem. This is mainly because the seal at the rear of the hood will still be intact to stop runoff from the windshield. Also the scoop extends past the back of the hood to provide a cover for the holes.

I am hoping I am not overlooking something large before going at it.

Karl
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Actually it wont create a vacuum. But it may let out some air from the engine bay Chevy introduced the cowl induction hood on the 69 Camaro and it was sealed to the air cleaner to get cold outside air into it. their will not be enough air flow by the opening to create a vacuum.

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Well, theoretically speaking, with air flowing past the outlet of the cowl when the vehicle is travelling at speed, this will create a low pressure zone between the windshield and the hood outlet, this low pressure zone will then try to equalize with the higher pressure zone beneath the hood in the engine compartment, thus causing a flow of air from the engine bay, into the hood, and out of the hood.

But this is all theoretical of course.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to loopyj22
Actually do some research and you guys will find that it is quite the opposite. Now matter whats in the engine bay the reverse hood scoop will draw air into the engine bay. My father and I race late model cars and this has been proven over and over with windtunnel tests. Now unless there is some big peice of info about the this setup that I don't know about I believe that I am correct. As you said earlier they actually would seal off the air box to the scoop because (tested by myself with an ATM tester) at speed it will create a drop in pressure at the cowl edge, thus forcing air into the hood scoop.

97 4.6L SOHC
(old times before headswap,PI cams, and PI intake)
N2O - 12.83 1/[email protected] --------- NA - 14.2 1/[email protected] mph

PnP NPI heads, PI intake with adaptor plates, crossover cooling mod, PI cams, 4100 lbs GVW, 2.25" true dual exhaust, Flowmaster 40 series, deleted cats, K&N cold air intake, 120HP NOS shot, NOS Programmable modulator, 80 psi fuel pump with reg., 9MM FRPP plug wires, Reinhart chip, Jmod, Mark8 T/C, FRPP 3.73 Alum. Rear-end, Dynotech MMC D/S, MSD coil packs, Custom ram air

94 T Bird Project Car
Planned installs: Ford 460ci motor, Tubbed rear-end with Dana 40 Axle, NOS power adder, new paint job, complete roll cage
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
do the hood thing for looks, any one who sets up a functional scoop is wasting their time in my opinion.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 03:39 PM

how did you attatch it? rivits/bondo? im thinkin about doing to too, i need a new hood
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

What I did was epoxied it to the hood using rivits to hold it down till it dried then ground the rivits out and smoothed everying with bondo. I didn't like the enormous double hump scoops that come right to the end of the hood. I wanted something more subtle.

Karl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in