Key Replacement - Any Ford Dealerships out there? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Key Replacement - Any Ford Dealerships out there?

I just bought a 2002 Ford Explorer. Unfortunately the dealership said they only got one key and one remote with it when they got it. Since it has one of those keys that has the chip in it, does anyone know a good place to get it replaced as well as get a replacement remote? Also, how much do these items normally cost? I am thinking they aren't cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:50 PM

I think the keys are about $60. Not sure about the remotes, but I'd imagine they're similarly expensive. You might want to try going the ebay route on the remote. Probably can find one for $20-30.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It looks like I can get a blank off of Ebay for about $20. It is uncut so I would have to get it cut. The problem is that I need two keys to be able to add a third since this vehicle is SPATS based on what I have read so far. I have sent a gripe letter to the dealership but I am not hopeful that I will be successful. It sucks not having any good Ford dealerships where I live. This is one of the reasons I quit buying Ford products and it looks like the local Ford dealerships have no problem allowing that to happen. Piss poor customer service is really inexcusable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
madd, my dealership lists the keys for $30, and the remotes from $37-$56. i'm not at work right now, so i'm not sure which remote you would need. feel free to provide me with the part number off of the back of the remote, as well as how many keys you would want. i'm sure i could make you a VERY satisfactory offer.

-jon

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
no need to go to the dealer if you have a PATS system installed.

You just need to acquire the proper key blank, and have it cut like a regular key.

Then you need to follow a certain procedure to program the key to make it work with the car.

I don't have the exact procedure on hand, but a google search will help out here.

A friend of mine has a newer f150 (2000 i beleive). We programmed the new key for it in the driveway.

As for the remote, same deal. You can buy a remote thats compatible with the car, and program it to work in your driveway.

JH
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:01 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Go to the dealer and talk to the owner or general manager. Make him a deal. You'll pay COST for the key and the remote, but they cut it and program your truck for both of them at no charge. In exchange you will refrain from reporting their refusal to help you at all to Ford Corporate and to their District or Regional Offices.

If they still refuse, a lot of states have a lemon law that you can use to make them take the car back. It's a hassle, but it's MUCH less hassle for them to cooperate.

As another tactic, you can just tell them that this is the ONLY acceptable resolution open to you and that you will call or come by EVERY DAY until they agree to comply. And when you come by, you will throw and absolute fit in the service/parts/sales floor about how they refuse to do the honorable thing and give you the second set of keys.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you need to show them that it's in their best interest to take care of you....their customer.

Good luck!

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
wow. Just wow.

I can see you doing exactly that Bill, are you speaking from experience?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
Jedi Master

if you decide to get a PATs key from a ebay or from a locksmith do this,
after you the key cut
turn on your car with the existing key you have and leave it on for about 10 sec
turn it off and leave it for 10 sec
put in the new key and start it up and the new key is programmed

I have this somewhere in my crazy files, i will double check it

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually, it's a SPATS system so I need two keys to do that apparently. I am still looking for information on this though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in