Found the Solution to Shuddering!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Found the Solution to Shuddering!!

I was readint the tech articles, and looking under transmission articles.
i have a big shuddering prob with my 96 3.8 tbird with 60K miles. At low rpms, i have a BIGG shudering probllem. also when the car changes gears. ( i have an auto ofcoarse)...

they say to use Mercol V.. does any one know if this will fix my problem? i have to replace my current transmission fluid with mercol V.

Where can i get it? and will it give me my car back to how it used to be???

thanks alot,
Baseer Maroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
It might restore your car to proper driving habits, but thats if the clutches aren't too burned. Dexron III/Mercon gets too hot in these transmissions and break down, causing shudder (usually only in the TC though), and Mercon V is formulated for the higher temps and such.

You can buy Mercon V at your local Dealership or Autozone. Just poke around through the various auto parts suppliers in your area and you're bound to find it.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I have found the best prices to be at advance auto/checker.

They carry the havoline brand, it is 2.64 a quart if I recall correctly.

You might want to call them in advance, because most stores don't carry more than ten or so bottles.

I had to have them order a couple cases for me when I was doing my tranny flushes on multiple cars.

JH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

does it really work?
we acutally spent alot of money replacing the tranmission at 40K miles.. and it didnt change anything...
It seems silly that a 50$ doller bottle worked better than a 1000$ trany.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The shuddering is much worse on 94-5 cars than later ones. The 96 should be able to live longer after getting it (assuming its not worn out like AJ posted).
baseer, did they replace the torque converter when they replaced the tranny?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

im not sure about the torqe convertor. But i read around the forums, and lots of people say mercon v fixes the prob.

also other things that help:

tanny cooler (wth is this??)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well if the TC is shuddering, it doesnt matter what transmission you have or if you had none at all... the problem IS the TC, not the tranny.
As for tranny coolers, you want a nice stacked plate type cooler. This reduces the heat in the transmission. Heat leads to TC shudder and clutch wear. like the OD 101 article states 'If cars had adequate transmission cooling from the factory, it would put most tranny shops out of business.'

btw: keep an eye on the fluid condition. if it starts to turn brown/black get that TC replaced ASAP.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
If the fluid doesn't fix the problem, or if the fluid reduces the problem (without eliminating it) I'd replace the torque converter. The fluid will generally fix the problem, but sometimes the torque converter clutch is just too far gone for the fluid to stop it.

Also, if you haven't already added an aftermarket transmission cooler, buy this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/produc...earchtype=ecat

Then you can follow Jesse's install instructions here and you'll be set. You can generally get a Lincoln Mark VIII troque converter (new) for a good price and that'll both fix a TC shudder problem and also help the performance of the car as well.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:34 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Baseer,

Mercon V did fix my problem. I bought my Mercon V through a Ford Dealer that gives us a club discount. I also put in a transmission cooler from www.bulkpart.com. Mine is lighter than the B&M, but my transmission runs cold with the Jmod done to it. Right now, I have cardboard blocking the tranny cooler to keep the tranny from getting too cold here.

Some places that do transmission flushes the right way (Motor running, etc), will put in Mercon V if you ask. My local shop would do it no extra charge.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in