I don't know so maybe you do??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
I don't know so maybe you do???

Ok two problems,
First: I think this problem started after I installed a chip. My door ajar light stays on all the time while the car is on. Don't know if I may have discontected a wire while I was putting the puter back in or if it is a bad sensor?
Second: I have ground effect kit that has fog lights on them. The fog lights keep blowing fuses, however if I put a fuse in while the switch is in the "ON" position they will stay on, at least till I turn them off, then the fuse blows. Also when I leave the switch in the "OFF" position while the car is not running and I go to start it like a week later the battery is dead. However if I leave the switch in the "ON" position with no fuse in it, it will not drain the battery.

Anyone have a clue.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 04:10 PM

First, the door ajar light could be caused by the little black puch button on the door frame. They tend to wear out once in a while. I do believe they are pretty cheap and easy to replace. That would probably be your first place to look into. As for the fog lights, check the wires and look for anyplace the wire may be cut or even slightly damged. If there is just a small cut in the wires, it could be touching something metacllic and grounding it out. That would definately cause your battery to be draining. I've had this happen to me on several occasions with other wires. Maybe someone else could chime in about good places to check the wires. The first place I would look would be right around the lights and then where ever they enter into the car, ie through the firewall, door jam, etc.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:16 PM
PostWhore

The door ajar thing is common on the Mark VIII. Cheap and easy to solve http://www.markviii.org/psjs_faqs/09...shtml#09297395

Probably fix yours too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Umm, on mine (97 LX, keyless entry, no factory anti-theft) the door ajar light is controlled by a switch in the door latch, NOT the pin switch in the door frame. That one is for the courtesy lights.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 11:41 PM
PostWhore

Midnight, have your fog lights ever worked? I was thinking, it's definitely a short, but unless it's wired in some really goofy way, it should be shorting when they are turned on, not off. Maybe they are hooked up backwards and are shorting when they are turned "off" (which would then really be "on"). But unless they were installed incorrectly, there must be another explanation.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 12:09 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Midnight, it's more than likely at the switch. If the switch is lighted (and it most likely is) it has three wires on it. One is a 12v feed from the battery, one is the feed to the lights and the third is a ground for the light in the switch. If the switch is faulty, it could be shorting the 12v feed to ground when in the off position.

The other scenario (and probably more likely) would be that it's simply wired wrong. If you swapped the 12v input and the feed to the lights on the switch, then it would still work fine when the switch was on, but could very well be shorting the normal feed to ground when it's off. To remedy this, figure out which wire on the switch is ground (*should* be black) and switch the other two wires. Worst you'll do is blow a fuse.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:23 PM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I agree with Hotbird. My door ajar light is on constantly. I have the latch part to fix, but need a warm, dry area to do it in. My driveway is cold and snowy right now. I already have replaced the door jamb button.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
I used to have the door ajar problem as well. Spray some WD40 in the latch and it will go away. That is what was recommended to me by other members and it worked great.

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnack
.....Spray some WD40 in the latch and it will go away. ....
That's what the link leads to I posted above....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to chrisnack
Quote:
Originally posted by doodaa

That's what the link leads to I posted above....
Wups.. sorry.. I guess I missed your post... oh well...

NSN Motorsports
http://www.nsnmotorsports.com
"Fordless" - But I do have alot of Mercon V laying around...
'96 Eagle Talon ESI

Parts ---> Dan Newman - Town & Country Ford - 800-847-2047

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in