Timing set to TDC? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Timing set to TDC?

I just had a guy rebuild my carb. and adjust my timing, he said he set my timing to TDC, which doesn't seem right to me... The car is also a good noticeable difference slower than when I gave him the car. He said he also disconnected the secondaries on the carb, he said that it didn't need them. I've got a 306, and the carb is a Holley 4160 4bbl 600CFM. Anyone have any advice on why the car is slower??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

C'mon you guys, don't try and tell me that NO one on here that's read this thread knows anything about timing. Seriously.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Pull the spout connector and set the timing to 12 degrees BTDC. If the secondary side of your carb has been disconnected then all you have is a small two barrel carb and that will slow you right down. I take it is a mechanical secondary card and not a vacuum secondary carb. A 600 Holley is fine for a 306.

Regards

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Johnny Five is Alive
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via AIM to WkStill Send a message via Yahoo to WkStill
I don't think he has a Spout. Its probably running old Duraspark system, needs to disconnect Vacum Adavance..

1984 Merc Cougar
5.0L, GT40X HEADS, E303 CAM,X303 Valvetrain
1998 4R70W Controlled by Baumannator TCS., 3.73 Track Lock Rear., Bauman Lev 3 Shift Kit.
190LPH, 67mm EGR, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L MAF, 24lb/h Inj, TwEECer RT, A3M EEC-IV
TCCoA-AHole Crew 2004
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own. They are not meant to start a flame war or discourage people. Just my honest opinion and nothing more
Just great, 4 mores years of GOP crap, Im republican, and I endorse this message
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Sorry I must have MN12s on the brain

To the Batmobile ! ! !

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I have MSD 6... if that means anything for the timing... and I have Vacuum Secondaries.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 06:45 PM

You need the secondaries to feel the power you had before. Maybe he couldnt figure out the vacuum timing advance and disabled your vacuum secondaries to try to make up for it? I really dont know. Either way I would fully enable the carb, then time it again if it needs it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it was really rainy today so I didn't have a chance to go get a timing light and work that one out... I think I figured out through reading stuff online how to set the timing, although I'll have to take acloser look at my engine to know for sure. I will fix the timing tomorrow hopefully... also connect the secondaries if I can figure out how to do it haha. Any help??
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
If it's like the Holley 750 I had on my truck, there should be a little 1" piece of vacuum line running from the body of the carb to a diaphragm mounted on the side of the carb that controls the secondary linkage. It's been a while, but I think that's how it went.

Did the guy that disabled them say anything besides "you don't need them"? That sounds a little fishy to me...

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

He said that the carb was too big for the engine and that it didn't need that much fuel. BTW Here is a picture of the side of my carb, someone point out what I'm supposed to do here...

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Alright, you guys are slacking haha. I know it's the weekend but I need some help over here, I even posted a picture!! How do I reconnect my secondaries. Also, will someone come over to my place and show me how to adjust my timing?? HELP!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:28 PM

Need a pic of the other side of the cab.

Mark

To the Batmobile ! ! !

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Here ya go. I posted that picture because I thought the vacuum hose for the secondary was on the passenger side of the carb... at least that's wherre Dode said he thought it was, but alrighty here is the other side.

Last edited by Spike; 02-08-2004 at 05:39 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

As a side question, my choke plate is kinda stuck open, and I think it's causing my engine to try and stall out given accelleration. It's kinda cold out btw. I don't know why all of a sudden the choke plate is stuck like that. Help?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Pedal Faster

Choke is stuck open or closed?

When the car is warmed up and at warm idle, the choke should be fully opened.

Adjust it with the car cold:

Push the throttle to the floor once so the choke closes. Hold the choke cap and loosen the screws that hold it down. Turn it to open the plate more, or the other way to close it. It shouldn't be closed completely, somewhere between an 1/8 and a 1/4" depending on what your motor likes.

As for the secondaries, I cannot for the life of me remember what the vacuum routing looks like, but I can almost say for certain that the loop of vacuum hose you have on the side of your carb isn't right. Take it back to the guy that disconnected them, tell him it's way down on power, you want it hooked up right.

Good luck!

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20

Last edited by Josh_Keady; 02-08-2004 at 07:09 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Pedal Faster

Okay, in that diagram... that's what you should be seeing under the timing light now. The light flashes when that line on the harmonic balancer lines up with 0 on the indicator.

To advance the timing, check to see if your distributor has vacuum advance (if it does, there will be a vacuum hose leading into a can on the front of the distributor) and if so, disconnect the vacuum line and plug it. Make sure the car is at low warm idle.

Point your timing light at the harmonic balancer and indicator plate and make a note of what the timing is. Your indicator plate may say something other than "BTDC/ATDC". BTDC (before top dead center) is advance, ATDC (after top dead center) is retard. It might have something like "A/R" or even "Advance/Retard". It might help to take a rag with some gasoline or solvent on it and wipe off the indicator so you can see it.

Once you have the car idling and the distributor hold down loosened (don't remove it, just loosen it enough so you can turn the distributor,) point the timing light at the balancer and indicator plate, and rotate the distributor very gradually until the mark on the balancer starts lining up with the desired mark on the indicator plate. The marks in the picture I made only go up to 8 degrees, but yours are going to go a lot higher. Just set it to where you think it should be... 13 degrees, something like that, I'd say.

When you get it where you want it, hold the distributor still with one hand and tighten the hold down bolt with the other. Plug the vacuum line back in, adjust the idle speed if necessary (advancing the timing might make it idle a little higher,) have fun.

Josh Keady

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Veteran Poster

Sounds like your guy don't know sheit about carbs. A vacuum secandary carb only lets more are and fuel for what ever signal it gets. ie, little signal- little fuel, lot of signal-alot more fuel. Also if he locked down the rear barrels, you will never get WOT.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I know he doesn't know sh*t about sh*t. I'm having someone else hopefully take care of my problems. Josh Keady helped me last night in determining that my choke is stuck. He said he thinks perhaps that the choke was taken off and the spring wasn't wound back inside the housing, cause my choke is just stuck open and it doesn't move when you push the pedal all the way down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in